Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Let's just be friends...

How's the best way to tell the person you're going out with that you've decided that you want to keep it friends?

I've been goin out with this guy just over a week and he likes me a lot, but I'm not comfortable with him. He's a year younger and despite being cute and all...it just doesn't work.

The problem is that people in college are always telling us what a cute couple we are and I feel pressurised into doing stuff with him. But inside, I know it isn't going to work.

Any advice?

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you're one is a tough one. There is no easy way out of a relationship if both people don't feel the same. You just gota lay it out in front of him. If he REALLY likes you, he'll be upset for a while, but you can't help that. Get out as soon as you can. No use being in a relationship if you're not happy.

the perception of reality, is as perceptive as reality itself

Well how do you know it isn't gonna work?? Difficult one to pin down I know, but give the guy a break!!

(ps; Wolf, life is the perception and translation of reality)
    Just be straight with the guy, tell him you are uncomfortable. If you give him the cheese ball line of "I just want to be friends" it will hurt him more. Better to dump him after a week rather than waiting 3 months.

Know exactly how you feel. Last year i had a one night stand with my best mate, and he immediately assumed we were going out. Even after i went back to my ex he still thought that we were together. When he finally realised we had a really bad argument, and that was the last time he spoke to me. Now it's like we're complete strangers. He was my best mate, and i miss him so much it's affecting my current relationship.

Don't make the same mistake that i did. I know it's hard, but if you're honest with him and tell him that you only see him as a mate, at least he knows you respect him enough to tell him the truth. And once he gets over it at least he might still be talking to you!!
    Only a week!
    I've had this before and it sometimes turns out to be a great relationship. What is it you don't like about him?
    Talk it over with him but I think he deserves a chance.
    Lets stay friends. What a fucking cop out. That is the cowards way of dumping and every one can see through it. Just say it isnt working and see what happens . If you can stay friends naturally then thats ok.
    If i was u i'd leave it another week or so & c if u feel ne differently.

I know this guy who dumped his gf after a couple of weeks together coz he didn't 'feel rite' but a few days later he regreted it & luckily she forgave him. They've been together about 5 months now.

If u still feel like this after the week or so & wanna end it, just tell him how u feel & as has been said wotever u do DON'T use the line 'lets stay friends' coz it sucks & hurts a lot more then the truth.