Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Its almost that time!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Yes kids its almost that time when your UCAS has to be sent off:eek: (of course it already has if you want to do medicine or go to oxbridge) So how are peoples going? I still need to start on a personal statement, i cannot think of much to write.

What do you want to study?

Where do you want to go? What grades do you need?

I want to study Politics, my top choices are Exeter (BBB) and Lancaster. (BBC-BCC)

Do you want a gap year? i do not!

Will i end up at uni with any of you lot next year?:eek2:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    :nervous:

*is scared*

I'm currently doing a 3rd year at college; wish I'd buggered off to uni this year but needed more grades :impissed:

I've done my personal statement, and done a lot of my UCAS form - just need to decide where to go.

I've been to 1 open day - in Staffordshire. I wanted to to Crime, Deviance and Society with Sociology but I wasn't much impressed by the university :mad:

So, I've decided to go to 2 more open days - Lincoln and Sheffield Hallam. They're not too far away from me at all, so I'd be able to keep my weekend job :yes:

If I went to Lincoln, I'd do Social Policy and Criminology and if I went to Sheffield Hallam, it'd be Sociology and Criminology (I think that's the right way round). I just need to find out more about the courses :chin:

I think I need around 200-240 points
  • Options
    Re: Its almost that time!

I haven't even started the whole UCAS process. I still have no idea what I want to do. I'm still unsure whether I'm going to Uni or not. I don't like the thought of being broke for 3 or 4 years.

What do you want to study? Politics, something intellectual. Actually I have no idea.

Where do you want to go? What grades do you need? Definitely Plymouth, it's in the most beautiful area of the country.

Do you want a gap year? No I'm either going to go now or not at all...at least for a while.

Will i end up at uni with any of you lot next year?:eek2: Exeter isn't too far from Plymouth :p
  • Options
    I handed in my UCAS form two weeks ago because my school is just "like that" :impissed:

I want to do Social Anthropology and applied for Edinburgh, Durham, Kent, Queens Belfast and Manchester. Edinburgh is my first choice by far, I was there for the open day last week and the place is excellent!

I need something like ABB for Edinburgh and I think the rest are less than that.

Some people who applied for medicine, law etc in my year have already got offers back... BASTARDS!!
  • Options
    Im halfway through the 578th update/draft of my personal statement.

Im applying to do a BA History degree.

My six that I will apply to are (probably) in no particular order:

Reading
    Keele
    Oxford Brookes
    Portsmouth
    Sheffield Hallam
    Nottingham Trent

Im not having a gap year.
  • Options
    wow so i could be near you hunnypot;)
    unless i go to lancaster then ill be the other side of the country!

I visited Exeter, Lancaster, Leicester and Sheffield.

Sheffield is the best academically but the campus is basically bang in the town centre, cobbled streets and all. not nice!

Im also applying to Swansea and Aberyswyth but didnt bother visiting due to excess coursework going on
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    Im halfway through the 578th update/draft of my personal statement.

Im applying to do a BA History degree.

My six that I will apply to are (probably) in no particular order:

Reading
    Keele
    Oxford Brookes
    Portsmouth
    Sheffield Hallam
    Nottingham Trent

Im not having a gap year.

Ah Brookes, good choice. I am a resident at said university.They were my first choice but i didn't quite make the grades so i rang them to find out if i had a place, they kept me hanging for 12 days the buggers!! it was horrible. Got a place in the end tho!
    That was 2 years ago, so i graduate this academic year!! hooray

Your all lucky in a way. UCAS is a piece of piss compared with applying for post grad courses. Wish i was doing the ucas stuff again! I'd swap with any of you.......plz!!:D
    but i wouldn't want to start uni again....nooooo way!
  • Options
    Our school wanted our applications done before half term, so i've done my UCAS and it has been sent off, although loads of people haven't finished. We used the online Apply system, and I thought it would be a total failure, but it was actually better than I expected (easier to alter details on form etc). I'm applying for German+another subject, (subject varies according to the uni). I applied to (in order of preference):

Warwick - my top choice
    Sheffield
    Leeds
    Bath
    Reading
    Birmingham

I dreaded writing my personal statement, and it was tedious and time-consuming to write, but I was pretty satisfied with the end result; let's hope the unis think so too *hopes*
    The entrance grades I need are quite low, ABC, BBB, BBC, probably as the course isn't in high demand! At least it takes the pressure off a bit, though!

I wanted a gap year, to teach English in Thaland with GAP organisation, but I was like :eek: 'how do I raise £2000+?" You could argue if I wanted to go enough, I would have raised the money somehow, but even if I was into fundraising, I doubt it would have been enough. Maybe i'll go travelling after uni, so i'll have more time to try to win the lottery in the meantime!
    Good luck to everyone else applying :)
  • Options
    I loved my UCAS application... I went round the country visiting all these cities I'd never been to before, and legally missing school whilst doing so. :p

Seriously, it then is a bit of a pain waiting for the returns - it was a great feeling getting an offer from Manchester after only two weeks, but then waiting SIX months for a rejection from Leeds wasn't that great.

If you can use the online 'apply' service - do so! Its a lot quicker, and usually offers come in quicker, and if your handwriting is crap like mine its a great way to do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce

The entrance grades I need are quite low, ABC, BBB, BBC, probably as the course isn't in high demand! At least it takes the pressure off a bit, though!

Its quite demoralising for those who arent expecting grades like that and are looking at the possibility of straight E's for you to say that those grades are quite low. :impissed:
  • Options
    Originally posted by hotphoenix

Your all lucky in a way. UCAS is a piece of piss compared with applying for post grad courses. Wish i was doing the ucas stuff again! I'd swap with any of you.......plz!!:D
    but i wouldn't want to start uni again....nooooo way!

Are you applying to do an MA or some such next year?

How are you doing, I have done quite a bit of research but funding seems to be practically impossible to get for masters only and I am not sure whether i want to do a Phd........

How are you going about it?
  • Options
    Finished! Gone! UCAS have yet to process it. I am applying for deferred entry to do various archaeology courses at UCL, Cardiff, Bristol, Southampton, Birmingham.
  • Options
    Was going to apply for university last year but, because I took a year out after school, didn't have acceptable qualifications for the places I wanted. So, at the moment I'm doing HNC in Graphic Design at college with several evening classes to build up a decent portfolio.

I have my personal statement from last year, just needs tweaked here and there to bring it up to scratch. Have a rough idea where I want to apply. I've visited 2 Art Schools already; Glasgow and Edinburgh. Wasn't impressed by the former but Edinburgh was really appealing, boasted a beautiful close-up view of the castle too. If I stay at Glasgow though I'd only be an hour or so from home, which is always comforting to know ;)! Going to add a few other places down South which I basically can't afford (finance or time-wise) to visit but, because the entry requirements for the two Art Schools are so high, it's essential to have back-ups.
  • Options
    I've applied this time to do Law at Sheffield, Liverpool, Leeds, Leicester and Lancaster. Currently on a gap year but didn't defer entry last year as I didn't know what I wanted to do. How long does it take generally to get replies from unis once your form has gone off? I hadn't really thought about it 'til now, but this bit must be pretty nerve-wracking!! I have the grades they all want (AAB) but even so until you have it in black and white you have an element of doubt.
  • Options
    Its quite demoralising for those who arent expecting grades like that and are looking at the possibility of straight E's for you to say that those grades are quite low.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I only said 'quite low' as they are in comparison to what I expect of myself (and also what my parents expect of me!)
  • Options
    i've just gotta do my personal statement and then i can send it off. i'm applying for various geology courses in plymouth,bristol,cardiff,birmingham,southampton and greenwich. i wanna go to plymouth tho coz i love that city, it is the most awesome place ever!
  • Options
    okay, so I want to go to SHU, but their next open day is 27th June which is like, too late :-\

also..hmm...decision...criminology and sociology or criminology and social policy?

:confused::(
  • Options
    Ring them or email them and get a personal open day, also they will have open days specific to your cource. If you know anyone at the uni now might be a good time to go visit for a week.....

Bopz
  • Options
    Ah...I have the form. I have the personal statement. I have to fill it in.

But im applying to, definately:

Leicester
    Nottingham Trent
    Oxford Brookes
    Portsmouth
    Reading
    Sheffield Hallam
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    Ah...I have the form. I have the personal statement. I have to fill it in.

But im applying to, definately:

Leicester
    Nottingham Trent
    Oxford Brookes
    Portsmouth
    Reading
    Sheffield Hallam

that in the right order?
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    that in the right order?

It the order they have to go in on the form :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    if you're looking at straight e's then i'm afraid then you shouldn't really be considering university at all.

Its not me personally. But for people who may read this who are, then saying that grades ABC, BBB and BBC are quite low then what must they think? Im predicted BCC and I was happy with that, but it still makes me feel bad when people say that grades ABOVE mine are low.
  • Options
    For people who are applying to uni, I shall share some of my experiences.

Four years ago I started at Lancaster Uni reading a Master of Physics degree but it was pure chance that I got to do it. I had originally applied to Lancaster to do mechanical engineering but didn't get the right grades. I wrote off the prospect of going to uni since the others I had applied to didn't appeal and then I considered a career in the RAF. No sooner than the interview with the RAF careers people had been set up, I received an offer from the Physics dept. at Lancaster asking if I'd be interested in doing an MPhys degree. So, four years down the line, I have a Master of Physics degree and I'm quite a happy chappy.

The moral of this little story is not to be disheartened if your first choice doesn't go your way - call up the uni and check if you can do something else maybe similar, like I did. I know this is all some months away but it's worth knowing.

When choosing your uni, look for the one you feel most comfortable in - take time to have a wander around if you can. I chose Lancaster because it had the most friendly atmosphere and seemed quite homely.

Going to uni is a big thing, no doubt about it but it gave me the best set of experiences of my life and opened my eyes to the world. Be open-minded about things and you won't go far wrong and don't worry about fitting in at first - you'll find your place.

Good luck
  • Options
    why thankyou :)

i'm going to look around shu on thursday :)