Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

10 month old baby knifed to death

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    By way of disclaimer, some people should try getting off their high horse as to "those advocating their positions...blah blah" since, as one of the examples which Jacq has certainly rushed to point out indicates the question I raised, I would remind her and any others who missed the nature of my post that it was merely a QUESTION to further the debate in this thread.

I did not proclaim any transatlantic influence as a fact, I merely raised a possible supposition for discussion based on a string of these violent crime threads which have been cropping up recently.

Seems I can't even try to change the tone of my posts without further snide commentary from certain longtime opponents here.

Go figure.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Put your claws back in Jacq.

Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    That's bullshit. Sorry, but it is.

Not commenting on what was said, would be the same as accepting it, from my point of view.

Sometimes not commenting on what was said stops the rest of us being bored to tears and every thread it is done in degenerating into chaos.
    And I will continue commenting upon statements which belong in their own thread, and which shouldn't use the death of a baby to promote their own thoughts.

I think you have made your point, and there are some things in life you just have to live with.
    What is interesting is that Kermit (as an example) tells Shogun to be quiet, it passes. When I give my opinion about another theory I get a comment from the mod...

That is because Kermit hasn't taken every opportunity to push this point of view on to Shogun every time Shogun says something.

If there is a message to be learnt here it is to never tell a mod they are talking bullshit.
    Jacq what is your problem here ?

I took no offence when the comment was made, I cannot understand why you did :confused:
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Oh grow up, just cos I criticise people who open their mouths before thinking.

That post was just a few hours after the killing, he doesnt KNOW whats happened so to say the man should be KILLED for it beggars belief.

Or maybe youre another one who sees a newspaper report, and decides that its case closed, hang the man at dawn. get a job at Guatanamo Bay, theyre the sort who love those who love kanagroo courts.
    Actually I dont personally support the death penalty at all. I think the man must be mentally ill (as i put in a previous post).
    I just thought it was wrong for you to try and censor what shogun says. I dont think he was being partcularly offensive or anything, just stating his view.
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    If there is a message to be learnt here it is to never tell a mod they are talking bullshit.
    It doesn't mean that they're not though does it? hypothetically speaking, that is. I mean, we're only human and everyone makes mistakes.

Surely the real lesson to be learnt here is never to tell anyone they're talking bullshit. Just present your opinions or your arguments and explain why you hold to them.

it is a debate forum after all.
    Screwtape this is about respect for people in authority. Would it be ok for someone to go into work and tell there employer that they are talking bullshit ?

but yeah your opinion about never telling anyone they are talking bullshit is also valid. But do me a favour when I do tell someone they are talking bullshit, just bring this thread back up, because I have a short memory. ;)
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Put your claws back in Jacq.

Sometimes not commenting on what was said stops the rest of us being bored to tears and every thread it is done in degenerating into chaos.

I think you have made your point, and there are some things in life you just have to live with.

I was commenting upon the statement which he posted. I wasn't the only one to do so. And highlighting his routine.

I just guess that hearing the same remarks over and over again from someone else, aren't boring you into oblivion?

But fine enough. You can have your way.
    That is because Kermit hasn't taken every opportunity to push this point of view on to Shogun every time Shogun says something.

If you'd noticed, you'd had seen that I have retracted from threads where my obvious disagreement with him is present.
    So no, it's just stating that I think that his suggestions belong in a whole other thread, and that they shouldn't "celebrate" on the death of the baby.
    To tell, I can. Now it's the outcome, which I don't have any control over ;)
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Jacq what is your problem here ?

I took no offence when the comment was made, I cannot understand why you did :confused:

It's called having backbone, and not hiding behind others. Something which LadyJade has commented to you at several occasions, but with nicer words and tone.
    Screwtape this is about respect for people in authority. Would it be ok for someone to go into work and tell there employer that they are talking bullshit ?

If you have your reasonings behind it, and can put up arguments for it, then yes.
    It's not wrong to highlight problems.

I won't stay on a stand, in order not to admit I was wrong. But this time I just don't feel that I was. Don't want this thread to become a me vs. the rest thread thingy, but at least I want to clarify my own position.

but yeah your opinion about never telling anyone they are talking bullshit is also valid. But do me a favour when I do tell someone they are talking bullshit, just bring this thread back up, because I have a short memory. ;)
    I'd like to start off the not-talking-bullshit spirit here by saying that i am confused by this quote.

First you give me an instance where i shouldn't tell someone they're talking bullshit out of respect for authority as if you think that's something i would do or was even supporting. You then proceed to agree with the point i actually made about not telling anyone that they're talking bullshit.

lol which is it to be? am i pro or anti? :crazyeyes
    If you have your reasonings behind it, and can put up arguments for it, then yes.
    It's not wrong to highlight problems.

To be honest then in that case I hope you have an understanding boss. I would never tell my boss he/she was talking bullshit, I would think it but maybe a bit more diplomatic ;)

Screwtape its ok, I confuse everyone, even myself sometimes :D
    basically if I say someones talking *bullshit* just bring this thread up lol

Your right by the way, its just on occasions I have said people were talking bullshit and later realised I maybe should not have said it, or did it in a more diplomatic way :D
    To be honest then in that case I hope you have an understanding boss. I would never tell my boss he/she was talking bullshit, I would think it but maybe a bit more diplomatic ;)

Funny thing is, diplomats are often not to great in their usage of diplomacy. Which is why I am gonna be one :D
    Funny thing is, diplomats are often not to great in their usage of diplomacy. Which is why I am gonna be one :D

Thats the spirit :thumb:
    Your right by the way
    OH! how i love those words. You may consider any brief confusion as totally forgiven and forgotten, my dear lady.

*basks in the warm glow*
    Originally posted by Screwtape
    OH! how i love those words.

Dont get to love them too much, probably be a while before you hear them again :p
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I just thought it was wrong for you to try and censor what shogun says. I dont think he was being partcularly offensive or anything, just stating his view.

No, if he said he supported the death penalty that would have been fine. But to say that this case merited the death penalty, a full FOUR HOURS after the stabbing, then that is not stating an opinion, it is uttering rubbish. How can he say the man deserves to DIE after reading 200 words about something that happened?

Please enlighten me.
    What is interesting is that Kermit (as an example) tells Shogun to be quiet, it passes.

Isnt life a bitch?

The fact is Jacq, Clandestine has a point about Hollywood violence breeding real-life violence. Its a theory supported by many psychologists. Ergo, its not an irrelevance.
    Isnt life a bitch?

The fact is Jacq, Clandestine has a point about Hollywood violence breeding real-life violence. Its a theory supported by many psychologists. Ergo, its not an irrelevance.
    it's theory is also denounced by many psychologists.
    Originally posted by Screwtape
    it's theory is also denounced by many psychologists.

But its still a theory with a lot of credence. And, to be honest, its a theory that I happen to think is accurate, at least in part.
    Isnt life a bitch?

As long as the articles didn't hint out towards it in any way, I still think it's as rash as the whole death penalty comment, whích you were so firmly against.
    Now what made him leave Bangladesh, that would be a more valid reason behind his insanity at a point where we know nothing.

I am not denying that the movie industry has it's impact on different people. I just think it's a very brazen comment to write in this particular situation.
    No, if he said he supported the death penalty that would have been fine. But to say that this case merited the death penalty, a full FOUR HOURS after the stabbing, then that is not stating an opinion, it is uttering rubbish. How can he say the man deserves to DIE after reading 200 words about something that happened?

Please enlighten me.
    I dont actually know why shogun feels what he feels (surprisingly) Maybe he thinks this case warrants the death penalty because a small child has just had its throat slit, and maybe shogun thinks that nothing could excuse that, an eye for an eye etc????
    You`d have to ask him tbh.
    But to say that this case merited the death penalty, a full FOUR HOURS after the stabbing, then that is not stating an opinion, it is uttering rubbish.

shogun wrote his post on wednesday 22nd october at 9.02pm.
    The baby died at 11.30 BST on tuesday 21/10.
    maybe weve read different articles, but thats like a day and a half later, so im not entirely sure why you think he wrote it 4 hours after the attack. Sorry to be pedantic, but you are
    Thanks for the note of support Kermy, but actually I didnt make any POINT. once again, I merely raised a question to expand the discussion a bit. I made no declaration of what I happen to believe on the matter.

Of course in her initimatable style, Jacq will see what she wants to see rather than what is actually posted, so be it.

Good luck on the diplomacy front is all I can say to her.
    Originally posted by Clandestine

Good luck on the diplomacy front is all I can say to her.

Thank you, is what she can reply.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    shogun wrote his post on wednesday 22nd october at 9.02pm.
    The baby died at 11.30 BST on tuesday 21/10.

My bad. I thought the incident had only happened when Becky made her post. Oh well.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you are

Oh fuck off. Not quite sure what Ive done to you (except "pick on" the darling Badabing) but Christ, deal with it. Horses quite that high arent safe places to be- its a long way to fall.
    Hey come on, this is meant to be a discussion board and not a game of 'fuck you tennis'. I mean dammit all, isn't this just what was being discussed in the Intellectualism thread? Why is everyone getting so angry over so little?
    Got to agree with screwtape on this one. Kermit I think you could have been a bit more diplomatic with Rainbow rather than just saying Fuck off.
    Got to agree with screwtape on this one. Kermit I think you could have been a bit more diplomatic with Rainbow rather than just saying Fuck off.

Yes, I could have been. But Im fed up of being diplomatic, yet being told Im "a self-righteous arsehole", with that being one of the nicer things said.

Diplomacy isnt always the best option.
    Got to agree with screwtape on this one.
    lol don't say that like it's something that pains you down to the very depth of your soul! I might almost take offence if i wasn't so used to it :rolleyes: :lol:
    I cant bloody win can I :lol:

hold on shall I go and edit it so it loks better ;)

No offence to any mods but I do not see them as people of authority when it comes to debating about politics.

I respect and listen to their opinions but I will not give it any more or less credence than anyone else (though to be fair they are often more sensible)
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    No offence to any mods but I do not see them as people of authority when it comes to debating about politics.

I respect and listen to their opinions but I will not give it any more or less credence than anyone else (though to be fair they are often more sensible)

And why should you?

As I keep saying, we are all entitled to express an opinion, and it is all about your perspective and your willingness to listen and process what you have heard, and a respect for everyone's right to have a say.

A lot of the time I refrain from expressing my opinion because I would prefer not to be accused of political or ideological bias if I have to pull someone up on something. Also, it is easier to be 'sensible' if you aren't in the thick of the argument.

As for the last comment, it doesn't mean we aren't talking bullshit, we just don't want to hear that we are :D What can I say, I was having a pissed off Friday............