Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Whatsd with all this NHS Trust malarkey?

Its really a question for Man of Kent I suppose, but whats the point of all these different NHS Trusts?

I go to the health centre and its "community NHS Trust", I go to one hospital and its "acute services NHS Trust" or "hospital NHS Trust" and I go to anotehr one and its "priority services NHS Trust".

Is there actually ANY logic behind all this, or is it just because Major is a pillock?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well we don't all go to one school do we?

its about structuring organisations, services, facilities, etc. in an effecient and effective way.

its also about local services being owned by local people.

Different service users need and expect different things. People with colds and broken legs do not need to go to a service who aim is to serve people who have learning difficultites and mental health problems. so by grouping services, service users have a clear idea of where to go to access the most appropriate care, which incidently, is sign-posted by primary care trusts - GPs

in general and briefly ...

Primary care = GP/NHS Direct - 1st point of contact

Acute care = A&E

Secondary care / hospital trusts = hospitals - you need a referal from a GP to get to one of these

community care = community health - ie midwives

Partnership trusts = mental health and learning disabilities

now I sure MoK will answer as well but does that help?
  • Options
    Nicely done hobbs, you've pretty much covered it.

The NHS structure is as complicated as the people it services. Some require emergency help, some long term mental health, some help in the community etc

Each of these organisations is designed to assist in these areas and is supposed to be designed around the needs of those patients.

For example, someone with a broken leg is unlikely to need the help of a district nurse or mental health services. Certainly not at the moment which they sustain the injury. Instead they need a service which is designed to offer the quickest most appropriate care. Obviously we don't give it to them, but the NHS has to fuck up somewhere ;):p

Some of it though is just names. Not all "acute" trusts (e.g. those with A&E services) will call themselves Anytown Acute NHS Trust, not all refer to the fact that they are a hospital (Anytown Hospitals NHS Trust). Sometimes a mental health trust will just call themselves a "Community Trust".

What I am trying to say, using the tried and tested NHS Method of lots of words but little substance, is that, basically Kermit, we do it to confuse the public. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    What I am trying to say, using the tried and tested NHS Method of lots of words but little substance, is that, basically Kermit, we do it to confuse the public. :)

I thought as much!:p

So what exactly does "primary services" cover? I jsut wonderd, cos I want to know what else they do at the place I have to go to;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    So what exactly does "primary services" cover? I jsut wonderd, cos I want to know what else they do at the place I have to go to;)

God only knows, to be honest.

I couldn't answer myself because as the NHS evolves so some services are being transferred across what were traditional boundaries - e.g. some GPs now do minor surgery - so I would suggest that you contact the Trust direct or speak to the local Heath Authority...