Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What you won't see on the front pages today

...or as the leading news in CNN bulletins, or as any news at all on FOX.

Just another day in occupied Palestine: 10 dead, nearly 100 injured by Israeli warplanes

Why is it that for every column inch/airtime minute devoted to Palestinian deaths there are 10 times as many devoted to Israeli deaths? Not very 'fair and balanced' is it?

Would all those who still maintain the Israeli government doesn't target civilians come forward now please?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But you see, Israel never hit civilians. The Palestinians say innocent women and children are hit, and Israel say that all they kill are leaders of HAMAS.

Both sides, quite simply, are as bad as each other. If Palestine had F-16 jets then they wouldnt have suicide bombers. If Israel didnt have tanks then they probably would have suicide bombers.

I guess it all boils down to the old adage that one man's terrorist is anotehr man's freedom fighter. Israel believe that they are protecting themselves by blowing the Gaza Strip to smithereens, Palestine are trying to protect thmselves from Israeli atrocities by blowing the Israelis up before they get the chance to attack. Neither side will back down, all the Israelis are arre a state actor acting as a terrorist.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I have to agree with you Kermit. They are both as bad as each other and the hate seems so entrenched that it is difficult to imagine an end to it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That innocent civilians are killed on each attack there is very little doubt.

Another thing is the definition of 'terrorist'. And whereas someone who bombs a cafe may be called a terrorist, someone who bombs an IDF checkpoint or fires rockets or bullets at Israeli soldiers may not. Even if some of the people killed belong to Hamas the IDF has no right to fire indiscriminately at buildings and cars in broad daylight and then say no innocent civilians were killed, or that if there were civilian casualties it doesn’t matter.

But the main point I was trying to make is the international reaction and media coverage. Can we look forward to universal condemnation and to George Bush calling for an immediate stop to such indiscriminate attacks? Will the press plaster this all over the front pages, demand an end to these "terrorist acts" and argue that for as long as the terrorist continue striking negotiations cannot be possible?

Don't hold your breath...