Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

extra-curricular

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi! i'm new on the boards but i woz jst wonderin' if u cud help me. i've started a lot of voluntary wrk as i want 2 go in2 medicine but i feel i also need interesting "interests" 2 apply 2 uni. i woz jst wonderin' wat kind of things r gd, otha than music or sport as im bad @ both. At the moment all i seem 2 do is go out wiv friends and watch tv.
thanx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hey, i'm a newbie also but i'm still going to say 'welcome to the boards'

first off, i'd suggest you knock off that txt-speak, not only is it irritating to read, but it won't look too impressive on a CV :)

I take it that you've already looked at what sort of qualifications various courses require? if not, go straight to UCAS and have a gander.

All sorts of voluntary work are very highly regarded when it comes to university applications as it shows that you have commitment purely because of your love of the work you do. I will also take it that this voluntary work is medical-related.

As for interests, there arn't any which a university might look at and say 'aha, this student likes so-and-so, other medical students like so-and-so' and then sign you on. Interests are there to show that you have a multi-faceted personality and usually not an actual consideration in the application process.

Do you like any sort of sport? hobby? anything! books, art, writing, whatever. like i say, it is not a vital part
    I know I'll probably be on the chopping block for plugging other forums, but this is for someone's edjumacation. This is the main Bart's one, I think and this is another one, they can help when you get to the stage of personal statements and the like.

As far as interests go, when I applied (last year) I was into my salsa dancing, debating, umm, other stuff which I can't remember, but always keep an eye out for things going on in your school/college. At the end of the day, as screwtape said, they need to see someone who has a life outside of studying (a friend of mine has just dropped out of the course, a month into it due to burning out) so within reason, it doesn't really matter what it is, as long as you can talk about it at interview etc.
    sorry about the text speak. thanks though for the advice.