Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Whaddya think of braces?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, my teeth aren't that bad. There's only one on the top that is noticeably out of line, that's the one on the right beside the front tooth. I do get a bit of grief sometimes though, but that's generally cos they're 'big' :confused: Anyway... I was offered a brace years ago, but to get it I'd have to have 4 teeth removed, have a brace on both top and bottom and... to me it just didn't seem worth it. I mean, yeah... it would be nice to have straight teeth. But I don't think it's worth all the pain, etc. I had a removable brace for a while, but I couldn't even close my mouth with it - I dunno if it was just badly made, or what :confused: but the gap between my upper and lower teeth was so big I could fit my tongue through. It gave me a lisp, I had to make weird slurpy sounds and it woke me up in the night cos of the pain. So I only wore it on the way to the dentist, really :rolleyes:

Anyway, what do you all think of braces? People who have had them, do you think it was worth it or not? Anyone else like me, and actually refused one? :confused: I feel so unique...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I never had braces, so can't be of much help, but have you ever thought of getting those clear brace tray type things that you change like once ever week or once every month, can't remember which way it's suppose to be, but I'm not sure if they have them where you live or not. Just a suggestion I guess.
    No... you misunderstood, I'm not getting braces, I just wanted to know what other people think of them. Personally I think they're evil and conformist, making everyone look the same :D or that's my excuse.
    Hated the idea, but loved it when I got them - and loved it even more when I had them taken off a few months ago! :D

My teeth were reasonably straight but were out of line with my lower teeth and 'apparently' it affected my bite - tho I couldn't tell because I'd never known any different!

To be honest, I can't feel the difference now, even after an op to remove five teeth and having braces for two and a half years, but I know they look better and I'm happy with that :)

My dentist first mentioned that I would need braces when I was about nine and I ended up having them put on a week after my 17th birthday, so I knew it was loomed and was never giving the choice, it was just always known that I would have them - a matter of 'when' not 'if'.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i hated my braces and was in complete pain for the 3 years i wore them. first i had a removable one on the top and bottom cos i had an overbite (not a bad one) and it gave me a lisp. i was made fun of sooo much cos of them. then i had 4 teeth out and a fixed one for 2 years. i hated it with a passion, they were really painful and i was teased loads. they made a difference to my teeth but not a huge difference. dont regret doing it though.
    i had braces-top and bottom. when i got them i actually started to really like them. odd. i never got the piss taken out of me either :)
    now my teeth are straight and look so much better.
    I have a brace at the moment because i am getting an operation on my jaw next summer so i need a brace to help postion my teeth and its not really bothered me at all and i don't get the piss taken out of me. I have also had a total of 20 teeth out (some were baby and werent done at once) but anyway i think braces are good because then you'll have good teeth at the end of the process.
    I had awful teeth, and now they're great! Having a brace was a bit of a pain, but I don't regret having it at all. I love my teeth now, and feel totally confident about them, compared to when I was younger. I got my brace when I was about 11, and probably had it for about 2/3 years (removable brace as well), but it was all worth it, and no one took the piss. ;)
    tbh right at this moment i hate braces coz i've just had my full top and bottom ones tighten so i haven't been able to bite for a week and got at least another week to go.mine isnt comestic tho.grr
    I was gonna get fixed braces at 20 years old (for the 2nd time) because one of my front teeth was slightly bent, but my orthodontist gave me a removable brace with a springy thing on the back of it and it did the trick. I still wear retainers now at night.

Getting a brace is no big deal at all. If my orthodontist gave me fixed braces (ceramic ones), I would've worn them no problem.
    Just think, you wear a brace for a year or two, and you have beautiful teeth for life. Apparantly, your smile is the first thing that people notice about you.

Even he did it........
    Another pic......