Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

breasts - doctor or nurse?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK - I've spoken to my boyfriend and he's told me to go to the doctor's (for those of you who didn't read my other thread, I've got a lump in my breast).

But do I have to make an appointment with the doctor, or do I see the nurse? Cos, like, I don't want to say at the desk what I want to see them about, as I know fine well the whole room will be able to hear me, but if I see the nurse I can see her straight away I think, whereas I'll have to make an appointment for the doctor. But, like, I've never done this before :( and I don't know what I'm supposed to do, please help!

Comments

• Options
    i'd see the doctor. they'll have a way better idea what's going on.

to avoid informing the entire reception area what the deal is, i'd either ring up, or just say it's personal and you'd prefer to discuss it with the doctor. it's none of the receptionist's business.
  • Options
    OK, I just meant in case I was meant to see the nurse, I might be better off saying what it was for there. Thanks Kaffrin :) I'm scared about going :( I know it's stupid but... I don't like the idea of being topless in front of a stranger. I'm only going, really, because my boyfriend told me to, I'm doing it for him... because I'd chicken out for myself :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    I'm scared about going :( I know it's stupid but... I don't like the idea of being topless in front of a stranger.

stuff like that is always a bit wierd, but remember, it only lasts a few seconds, the doctor will have seen enough boobs to last a lifetime, and in the long run it's much better than leaving it be and finding out it's something nasty.

just grit your teeth and be brave. i reckon you'll be glad you went after it's all finished with.

and if it makes you more relaxed, you can ask to see a female doctor, or have the nurse in there with you. surgeries are usually pretty good about stuff like that.
  • Options
    youll need to see the doctor, I did when i found a lump in my breast, and it was even more embarrassing as my doctor is male. I thought about asking for a female doctor but I decided on my normal doctor as hes really nice and I trust him, still felt a bit weird when he had to feel it, but it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be.
  • Options
    Yes, you're definitely better off seeing a doctor, although a nurse would be able to help and pass you on to the right person if need be, too.
    These things are always nerve-wracking, but just remember how many cancer cases (especially breast cancer) can be treated and cured if caught early enough. You are being really brave, and you'll hopefully be posting on here afterwards to tell us all it was just a scare. Can your boyfriend or a friend go along with you to help calm your nerves in the waiting room?

Good luck my dear, I hope everything works out for you

Hannah Spanner x
  • Options
    im sorry to hear....hope it's ok and not what im thinking it is...

i'd say see a docter they have a better understanding on these matters but if your worried about other people finding out you can see a nurse and if it is urgent they can refur you straight to the docter there and then...

good luck and best wishes....

ill pray for you..:)
  • Options
    I should add that it's in your (and the doctor's) interests for the nurse to be present too...
  • Options
    Aww thanks for your support guys :) I've made an appointment for Monday at 3, dunno which doctor though so dunno if it's male or female :confused: I might ask my boyfriend to come, but I'm fairly sure he'll be at 6th form.
  • Options
    I had a lump just under my nipple (turned out to be a harmless cyst) a few years ago (when I was 15/16, I think) and I went to see a male doctor. He asked if I wanted a nurse or a receptionist in the room with me (it's not a big practise so there was only one nurse and if she wasn't available it would have been a receptionist) but I said no - I trusted him, and nothing happened but maybe I was being niave (sp?!). Was quite weird really... I'd had this lump for ages, but it went away (without treatment)about a week after I'd 'got around' to seeing my doctor! :)
  • Options
    OMG why are you implying that its dodgy for a doctor to do a breast check on his own?
  • Options
    Do you mean me, or everyone in general, Rainbow Brite? :confused:

I wasn't implying it's dodgy, but you usually do get asked if you want someone else there...
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    OMG why are you implying that its dodgy for a doctor to do a breast check on his own?

i dont think that was implied... just that perhaps if there is a woman watching over the doctor feels more at ease because theres no question as to whether hes being unproffesional. but if it was just him and a woman and the woman was very nervous and sensitive etc and took things the wrong way well *shrug*
  • Options
    Well, I went, and she said she thinks it's just normal breast tissue - I'm not really convinced like :confused: but anyway, she's booked me a hospital appointment, as that's standard procedure for all women with breast problems so... I imagine I'll get a scan there. That'll be in a few weeks. Hoping my mam doesn't accidentally open the envelope :nervous: