Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The armed forces

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone got any info on them?

What would be the right reasons for joining up?

What would be the ideal age for joining?

I'm getting bored at my work and fancy a change, I understand that if I did join I might end up being tied there for 3 years or so. But at which time I might have found a job I wish to do.

Does anyone know anyone if any of the armed forces and if so, do they regret joining or are they happy?

Any feedback welcomed

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    which forces do you want to join? army/navy/air force? ta royal marines?

I wanna join the "A-Team"

** Are you guys old enough to know who they are?? **
  • Options
  • Options
    I wanted to be in the army for years, wanted to get disciplined, be fit, have a steady career, make something of myself.

Then after few years of working out, training being fit and all that stuff realised that id be signing ym life away, wouldnt be able to do drugs and id have to kill people :eek2:

have so much respect for people in the armed forces

My mate wanted to be in the RAF, was signing her life away for 9 or 12 years or something like that, at the age of 18 they called her for tests interviews and stuff but she didnt get in, and i honestly cant think of one reason why and shes heartbroken so i guess if you really want to do it, no matter what the negatives are it wont matter!
  • Options
    I've jsut joined the TA.
    It's very flexible, you can do as much or as little as you can fit in. but they do expect something like 25days committment a yr and some weekends. but that's all.. i've just got into fitness.. used 2 be a bucket head and smoke fags all the time..

Yeah you don't have to be super fit but you do have to pass a medical.. Paid ofcourse.. ill tell you more after i've been to a training session. you don't even have to be all macho.. I'm a law student.. I wouldve gone for the officer training corps, but i'm after mucky 'serious fun'.

www.ta.mod.uk

they'll send you a CD and colourful literature. it looks great maan you can do anything in there (paid)
  • Options
    Has anyone got any info on them: Your best of going down to your army carees office and talking to them.

www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2650.html
    www.royal-navy.mod.uk

www.army.mod.uk

What would be the right reasons for joining up:

I joined the Royal Marines at 16 because I wanted to do something that I could look back on and tell people that I was proud of doing something for my country. I would think very hard before you make your mind up because it's not like a normal 9-5... If you want to leave after you have done all of your tranning etc, then you have to wait 6 months before you will be able to go.

RM Commando Initial training is 32 weeks which is the longest basic infantry training programme of any NATO combat troops.
    You will NEED to be very mentally and physically hard and if you don't like to get stuck in or your cocky and don't like to take orders then I'd forget it.

What would be the ideal age for joining? I'd say around 20 because at that age your matrue enough and you know how much pressure you can and can't take.
  • Options
    forces

I know its a little late, but Im joining the Navy in september, I have a place in BRNC (Brittania Royal Naval College) as a Warfare Officer and making steps towards it has been one of the best decisions I have made! I know a little bit whats its like from studying it and going on various courses. The Navy is the best service by far and I cant wait to be a part of it!
  • Options
    Don't believe all that bull about "not needing to be super-fit".

I applied for the RAF, but at the first interview (at the AFCO) I was told they wouldn't take me because I didn't do any exercise outside of work (despite being in an active outdoors job). There really is no point in lying to them. Even if I told them I went to the gym every week, the fact is I don't and this would probably show up on a fitness test.

Although I get all the exercise I need at work, this just isn't enough for the forces. They expect you to work out or do sports, and frankly I don't have the time.
  • Options
    I would advise you to do loads of research first on all options you can take from the Regular Army - TA to the Navy, etc. Look up their sites ask people from here or you know personally that does have actual experience.

Find out what exactly you would like to do. Theres loads of things you can do in the Army, etc. It's not all about being super fit and knowing how to hold a gun.

From my personal experience I just recently decided I want to go into the medical side. Was going to join the Regular Army but decided to test the waters by joining the TA Field Ambulance first as it's a bit more flexible and will give me an idea of what I will be getting myself into if I do join the Army, etc Full-Time.

If you do join the TA and ends up it's not for you, at least it will be easier to get out of than if you joined the Regular Army as you will have to go through all sorts before you can get out.

Before you make any decisions, make sure it's what you really want rather than it just being a phase you're going through.

XoX Good Luck! XoX
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I wanna join the "A-Team"

** Are you guys old enough to know who they are?? **

God i love the A-team

if i joined the army i would go into lan infantry or pathfinder. i love using long range weponry and im a good shot:)

Anyway joining the ta is a good first step. you can get to know what it is like and see if you want to go full time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    Don't believe all that bull about "not needing to be super-fit".

I applied for the RAF, but at the first interview (at the AFCO) I was told they wouldn't take me because I didn't do any exercise outside of work (despite being in an active outdoors job). There really is no point in lying to them. Even if I told them I went to the gym every week, the fact is I don't and this would probably show up on a fitness test.

Although I get all the exercise I need at work, this just isn't enough for the forces. They expect you to work out or do sports, and frankly I don't have the time.

On the RAF website it says to 'not worry if you're not extemely fit, we will train you'. So I thought if you weren't amazingly fit they'd buff you up?? Oh crap there goes my hopes of joining the RAF.:(