Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Travelling alone...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Travelling alone is something that I have NEVER ever considered, until I realised that more people do it than I thought.

Come to think of it, if you wanted to book a round the world ticket, it'll be pretty hard to find someone to go with, no matter how many friend's you have.

How many of you have travelled alone, or do you know of anyone who has travelled alone? What are the benefits/drawbacks of travelling alone? Did you enjoy it???
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    When i was on a tour of California we met a bloke who was travelling with us on our tour. He was from Austrailia and was generally covering most of the USA. When we spoke to him he said he had enjoyed the experience so far, and made friends along the way which you can imagine.

So it can't be that bad, unless you arn't the kind of person who will talk to anyone
  • Options
    I've thought about doing this many a time.

Like you say it's hard to get a friend to go off around the world with you but like James said you would learn much more.

I think its a big risk to go it alone though hence why i've not done it. I would love to though, free spirit and all that.
  • Options
    I'd love to go travelling, but I'm too scared to do it on my own! Maybe in a few years I'll be brave enough to do it, but it seems such a monumental task to do it on your own. I agree with problems of convincing friends though!
  • Options
    I've also travelled quite a bit on my own, and I love it - it's so easy to meet people.
    It's given me the freedom to go to the places I've always wanted to, without having to find friends who also want to go the same places, at the same time.
    I've picked places with a bit of a 'backpacker' culture: India, Nepal, Thailand, Mexico, Morocco where you're likely to bump into like-minded travellers, and in a foreign country, it's easy to talk to people, as there's more of an easy cameraderie, than the 'talk to anyone on the tube and you're a weirdo' culture here!

so go for it :)
  • Options
    I tend to go away quite a bit on my own, not really done the backpacking thing though. If i go i go for a week round cities or holiday or something. Doesn't bother me as being an only child i'm used to being on my own.