Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rusty blade....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i need help please. i just cut myself (nothing new) and i just relised i used a rusty blade. whats the chances of getting an infection....

help plz

Comments

• Options
    So you thought there was no chance of infection before you done it?

Dude, your mum said she would get you sent away if you cut again. Now, that was an exaggeration on her part, but wake the fuck up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne

Dude, your mum said she would get you sent away if you cut again. Now, that was an exaggeration on her part, but wake the fuck up.

i didnt relise it was rusty

:( im fuckin scared now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne

Things aren't that black & white R&S, people who cut find it very difficult to just stop.
  • Options
    Tetanus.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Thats the stuff.. is your tetenus/tetanus/tetnus (however you want to spell it..) up to date?

I dunno....:confused:
  • Options
    Now I'm not rudeboyz' biggest fan, but in this situation telling him how stupid he is probably isn't the best idea.

You need to find out if the tetanus is up to date, you'll probably have to ask someone. If not, it's probably best if you go to a doctor.
  • Options
    Thanks it burns likes it has before and stings but looks clean...

thanks for ya help stressed. hope ya ok...

XxX
  • Options
    Some one threw a rusty dart in my leg once, it didnt actualy hurt but I had to have a shot for it.
    Go and see your GP.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    I wasn't calling him silly for self harming. He knows what we all think of that.

I was talking about looking at the blade. tsk, if you;re gunna do it, at least check you have a clean blade

:yes:

yah. if you're gonna self harm, make sure you do it safely.

it might look okay, but id go and see your gp to be sure
  • Options
    Sad to here you're still cuttin coz i read in one of your posts you were seein a counsellor. always be careful when you cut with what you use and making sure they're clean (salt water is gd) take care and try to cut the minimum amount to make you feel better. from experience i've found it does get easier to stop:) Gd luck
    xxx
  • Options
    i wish i could slow down... last night i lash out again... 21fresh cuts over the ones which are trying to heal. thats not good...

i used a clean knife this time...

they burn badly:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    i wish i could slow down... last night i lash out again... 21fresh cuts over the ones which are trying to heal. thats not good...

i used a clean knife this time...

they burn badly:(

*hug*I kno its hard but try distracting yourself when you want to cut. talking to someone or having a bath can really help and i kno sumtimes delayin it just makes it worse but sumtimes you've thought about it so much you realise its not the right thing to do. I used to cut like 200 times a month now i cut about 20 a month max.Keep tryin:) xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    *hug*I kno its hard but try distracting yourself when you want to cut. talking to someone or having a bath can really help and i kno sumtimes delayin it just makes it worse but sumtimes you've thought about it so much you realise its not the right thing to do. I used to cut like 200 times a month now i cut about 20 a month max.Keep tryin:) xxx

well i just gotta out the bath and th4e first thing i did was.... cut. 3time in less tha 24hours im getting bad..
  • Options
    well i just gotta out the bath and th4e first thing i did was.... cut. 3time in less tha 24hours im getting bad..

this might sound harsh and bitchy and if it does im sorry but are you trying to stop cuttin? i kno its hard (fucking impossible at times) but when you want to think about how bad its gonna make you feel and how much its gonna hurt. not much more i can say. but seriously keep tryin and gd luck *hugs*
    xxx
  • Options
    I don't have any experience of this, so I don't know if this suggestion will help, but you could try writing yourself a note which you keep by the blade saying "do you really want to do this?". Or at least do something to stop and make you think before you cut. Good suggestion to try and do something else when you feel like cutting, it's very hard but if you start it'll get easier. And I bet you'll have a great feeling if you felt the urge to cut but overcame it - that'll make you feel better and stronger than cutting ever will.
  • Options
    Without wanting to give cutting acceptance...

Use a clean UNUSED blade each time. Have some antiseptic disinfectant (dettol is good) and CLEAN bandages in your room for if you do cut. I found that using disposable razor blades was helpful- it took me fucking ages to get the bugegrs undone, which gave me thinking time, and they were cheap enough to be able to use once then be thrown away.

Secondly, try doing different things to you instead of cutting. Try drawing on your arm in red marker pen, if its the image of blood that you like. If its the burning and the hurting that you like try holding ice cubes in the crook of your elbow and armpit- it hurts to buggery, but does no damage.

And most importantly, keep up the counselling.

This is me, if you want to PM me for a natter feel free to:)
  • Options
    omg my SO-CALLED mate just turned around... she said you bullshit. you dont cut and i though she cared..... just because she hasnt seen them... well ill show her this thread see if that helps i hope it does.... if not well nothing i can do.....

thanks kermit thats aload of help...

and openup thanks

thanks everyone for the help and support you gave me...

lil miss socks thanks for showing me this site... :) ill spk at school and i know the cuts look bad...:(
  • Options
    i'm not sure you showing her this thread will help.

rudeboyz....i don't quite understand the cutting thing, 'cause i don't do it myself. i couldn't...ever.

why do you do it?
  • Options
    it my way of dealing with problem there many reason why i selfharm its a pain reliease help with pressure and relaxing.... sometime you can get a euphoric effect (so i heard) but i do it to release pain and pressure.
  • Options
    You externalise the feelings, to escape from the paid inside you give yourself some external paid to concentrate on for a while. It focuses the mind away from your problems, its escapism, a bit like drinking too much or doing too many drugs. But as with the others in the end it doesnt help.

Good luck with your problem by the way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Groovaybaby*
    No you shouldnt have to justify yourself to anyone. If you showed her , her most probable reaction would be "your an attention seeker"

thats what i though.:( oh well fuck this SOCALLED MATE.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    :yes:

yah. if you're gonna self harm, make sure you do it safely.
    Why? Surely if you want to harm yourself actually using a rusty blade = more harm
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx
    Why? Surely if you want to harm yourself actually using a rusty blade = more harm

no because self harming isn't about trying to give yourself an infection. It's harm, but not that kind of harm.
    It's essential that you always ensure you are doing it as safely as possible and cleaning it up as soon as it's done to lessen the risk of infection and prevent as much scarring as possible.
  • Options
    Is it better now? (like, didn't get infected?)
  • Options
    yea it seems to be ok now.:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx

If you dont understand you really shouldnt say anything.

SH is about hurting yourself, its about the physical pain, its about the bleeding, its about the release. The intention, often, is to be in pain but not to be harmed, if that makes sense. Nearly everyone who SHs hates the scars, or hates the burns, but likes the pain whilst actually cutting or burning.

I guess the pain on the outside deadens the pain on the inside. But if a wound goes septic thats not part of the plan.
  • Options
    yea it seems to be ok now.:)

Glad to hear it :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Psycho_Smurf
    Glad to hear it :)

yeah although i still got bad urges to do it... and im in BLOODY PAIN worse part of rugby blah...

oh well i can take it..
  • Options
    Graeme you probably really should stop. If I could, then you can.

Anyway, people shouldnt ridicule him for doing this. Yeah, telling him not to is the right way about it, but calling him shit will get you nowhere. We all have our little ways of relieving anxiety or depression. Although I don't, I can think of a few things that are dangerous that I do enjoy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kayleygrub
    Graeme you probably really should stop. If I could, then you can.

Anyway, people shouldnt ridicule him for doing this. Yeah, telling him not to is the right way about it, but calling him shit will get you nowhere. We all have our little ways of relieving anxiety or depression. Although I don't, I can think of a few things that are dangerous that I do enjoy.

i am trying kay but i am not ready juilia said i shouldnt stop atm as i need it and it helps me...

Juilia is my councillor to anyone who doesnt know..i think if i go on AD i think they might help.