Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

first time flying...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
me and a friend are planning a trip, a short flight to somewhere for the day to get me over my fear of flying, ive not flown since i was 2 and im VERY nervous about it. but its something i want to do :)

so....we would be flying from london luton airport and we want to fly somewhere that is only a short flight. can anyone suggest anywhere? we were thinking amsterdam but its a 2 and a bit hour flight so im not sure
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was going on my first holiday abroad with my school when I was about 12 and I was shit scared of flying so my parents took me to Jersey for the day, think the flight was only something like 45 mins long :)
    I love flying, expecially taking off.

My auntie went on this course for people who are scared of flying, short flight just out to the Irish Sea and back again (Manchester). They make a day of it, to reassure people. She loved it and hasn't had a problem since. She said that once she'd seen how scared other people were she wasn't scared at all, just a bit nervous.

People were actually running around the plane screaming, some even had panic attacks, just for standing on the thing.

It was under £100 and she said it was well worth it. Small price to pay considering how cheap it is to fly to Europe now, places to go, things to see.
    Re: first time flying...
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    me and a friend are planning a trip, a short flight to somewhere for the day to get me over my fear of flying, ive not flown since i was 2 and im VERY nervous about it. but its something i want to do :)

so....we would be flying from london luton airport and we want to fly somewhere that is only a short flight. can anyone suggest anywhere? we were thinking amsterdam but its a 2 and a bit hour flight so im not sure

Amsterdam isn't a 2 hour+ flight at all, its about an hour max!
    You should be able to get cheap flights with KLM or Easyjet.

Flying is safer than being in a car, fact
    thanx guys :) i think we decided on barcelona :D
  • MykeMyke Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    Re: first time flying...
    we were thinking amsterdam but its a 2 and a bit hour flight so im not sure [/B]

I got back from Amsterdam yesterday and the flight was 40 minutes going out and 50 coming back.

You don't have enough time to be scared :)
    Re: Re: first time flying...
    Originally posted by Myke
    I got back from Amsterdam yesterday and the flight was 40 minutes going out and 50 coming back.

You don't have enough time to be scared :)

ooo cool. we've decided on paris now for certain...im pretty scared but i'll do it!
    go to barcelona!too many accidentswith dumbass french people;)

nah itll be fineeee
    i love flying
    good luck hun
    its all booked! december 17th i fly to paris! im sooo nervous!
    :D :hyper:
    Whjat a brave move - I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!
    We have a feature you may like to read before you go which covers issues like the fear of flying. Read it here
    Have a great trip!
    ah thank you Spanner :)
    Some of the most beautiful, interesting and inspiring things I've ever seen in my life were viewed from an airplane:

-flying over the Romanian Alps after a fresh snowfall
    -the corral reefs on final approach to Fiji
    -the Northern Lights
    -Mt. Saint Helens after eruption
    -a US aircraft carrier pulling into Pearl Harbor with the crew on deck in their dress uniforms paying respects to the USS Arizona Memorial

Enjoy your flight, and don't let the fact that people like me work on the aircrafts engines frighten you.:crazyeyes
    just over a month to go now....im so scared! thank you all for what you've said tho!