Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Worried

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have this friend who a while back started getting really drunk and making herself throw up. But for the last couple of months, she has been throwing up for no reason. The throwing up is totally volantary on her part, so its not an illness. She has gotten very pale looking and has scratches all around her knuckles. Is this a problem or is it just a phase? What can I do to help her?

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a problem, talk to her and try and tell her to go and see a doctor, does she be eating properly?
  • Options
    Vomiting and scratches around the knuckles point very firmly to someone who may be suffering from, or is on their way to developing bulimia.
    Not everyone who has ever made themselves vomit goes on to develop full-blown bulimia but it's vital to get help early,as with any eating disorder as they tend to get worse rather than better.

I could ramble on but I'm knackered so I'll come back to this. For the meantime - just be there for her, let her know you're there for her etc. - is she aware that you know about the vomiting? Is there any history of problems (ie depression)?
  • Options
    Whatever is going on with your friend, it doesnt sound healthy:(

It may well be a form of bulimia, certainly the vomiting and the scratches would indicate it, but please dont jump to conclusions. Just let your mate know that youre there if she needs you, and try not to crowd her. The last thing that she will need is someone pestering her to get help, it wont help things even though it is tempting to think that it will.

http://www.thesite.org/magazine/specials_body_image/distorted_body_image/anorexia_and_bulimia_the_facts.html
    http://www.thesite.org/magazine/specials_body_image/distorted_body_image/bulimia__true_story.html