Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

name my main characters for me!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm writing a book and have decided that the main characters names are shite. The female lead is called Laura, the male lead is James and the kid is Adam. The names really are beyond crap and dont suit the characters.

The female is feisty on the surface, but a bit scatty and unsure of herself. Its all a front with her to protect herself if people get too close. She's clever, but doesn't know it.

The male is a dependable and lovable, but has a strong side to him that the female doesn't see. Its only when she loses him that she realises the strength of character he has. He is really gorgeous, but doesn't know it.

The kid is just a cutie pie.

Please name them for me! I want names that combine a working class reality with a high octane career, if that makes any sense!

Comments

• Options
    I have Dillan in my family so thats out. I think the name Jason sucks big time because I had a Jason in my class at school and he SMELT and had nits.

Claire is a possibility tho.
  • Options
    The man should be called James :p

And the boy should be named Daniel.

Girl, Claire, is a good name.

Then again, I don't have a grasp of the English naming systems. What's working-, middle- and upperclass names.
  • Options
    Re: Re: name my main characters for me!
    Originally posted by BritJames
    I'd go for claire as the scatty moo

I'm glad you put an I in that ;):p
  • Options
    Marie, Craig and Stevie. I thought about it for a while and then these names just popped to the top of my head.

But then names always have a certain impression in our head from our views of people we know with that name or famous people with that name.
  • Options
    Gimli son of Gloin?:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Gimli son of Gloin?:p

PMSL :lol:

That really did make me laugh!
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    But then names always have a certain impression in our head from our views of people we know with that name or famous people with that name.

:yes:

tbh it doesn't really matter what you call your characters. their character should come through in your writing, and if you're not getting a strong enough sense of character, it's not a new name you need, it's a new draft.

as long as you don't use the kind of character names you get in those godawful books you get free with women's magazines, it's all good.
  • Options
    Alexis, Richie and lets call the kid Matty :D
  • Options
    how about 'sara'/'sarah'. or if you're edging on claire - make it claira/clara. i think thats much nicer, stronger and more original than 'claire'.

Maybe shaun for the little boy, i think thats quite nice, or Peter or Luke.

and how old is the man? im assuming early thirties here - i would have had him down as maybe a stuart or a simon.

but when you're writing a story of some sort, you're the only person who is really connected to the characters and who really knows them inside out, so it should really be a choice of yours and i think if you do it that way - you'll feel the names really fit, and make the characters more real thaN BEFORE. woops caps, sorry :)
  • Options
    The man should be called Chandler

And the boy should be named Joey.

Girl, Monica, is a good name.

And they'd all be really good friends with each other too.:D
  • Options
    To do a 'pick-and-mix' of everyone's suggestions so far, I'd use Claire for the woman, Daniel for the man, and Shaun for the child.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Alexis, Richie and lets call the kid Matty :D

:lol: Was someone a fan of Dynasty by any chance? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

tbh it doesn't really matter what you call your characters. their character should come through in your writing, and if you're not getting a strong enough sense of character, it's not a new name you need, it's a new draft.

I agree with this tbh.

Also, you should know that, with a lot of authors, character names do not get decided on until fairly late into the writing process. Or never, in some cases.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    :lol: Was someone a fan of Dynasty by any chance? :p

actually NO I never watched the thing :lol:

Claire, Daniel and Shaun what ages are they? I dont think the names kind of match........sorry :(

See Claire is a name thats been around for a while but is still a name thats used , Daniel is such a modern name which came back in a few years ago and Shaun is like an older kind of name, am I making sense lol
  • Options
    mr roll and boo sound well cooooool to me. a story of excess and love and laughter. of despair and tragedy ...we could for a slighlty hire fee go under our real names of andy and flo capp.
    as for the kids name ...we could explain he taken into rehab aged nine for his gambling addiction and we haven't seen him since.
    i what happened to young master roll aye ...we don't talk about that round these parts ...i'm rambling again ...
  • Options
    I'm called Claire, so you've got to use my name because it describes me perfectly :p

Well, you haven't got to, but you know.. it'd be nice... :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by openup
    To do a 'pick-and-mix' of everyone's suggestions so far, I'd use Claire for the woman, Daniel for the man, and Shaun for the child.

OMG with different spellings you just said my name, my brother's name and my bloke's name

:eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    OMG with different spellings you just said my name, my brother's name and my bloke's name

:eek2:
    come on ...we'll have to leave by the rear exit ...here have a puff on this.
  • Options
    Daniel is such a modern name which came back in a few years ago

Erm, Daniel is a biblical name. There have always been Daniels around.
  • Options
    Lass - Penny

Blokey - Callum

Wee boy - Max
  • Options
    Laura for the woman

Michael for the man

Matthew or Matt for the boy
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Laura for the woman

Michael for the man

They're SO naff though. :|

Mines win, clearly :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Erm, Daniel is a biblical name. There have always been Daniels around.

Yes I know. The name kind of went out of fashion and then came back again as a popular choice. Going back a few years Daniel was in the top 5 names (im talking approx 13 yrs ago).
    If the kid was aged about 12/17 then Daniel would have suited the kid more than Shaun.........In my opinion :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing

Matty is so much nicer though :D
  • Options
    Matty is so much nicer though :D

Matty reminds me of a wee blue haired biddy :\
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

as long as you don't use the kind of character names you get in those godawful books you get free with women's magazines, it's all good.

Erm, I know my characters inside out thanks very much.:rolleyes: If I didn't then it would be scrapped. You say it doesn't matter what they are called, but from my point of view it does. The story is based loosely around my life and it has cost me emotionally to write. I want it to be perfect. And for it to be perfect, their names must suit their personalities.
  • Options
    God, I sound like an obnoxious wanker. :o

Sorry.

It's just a personal thing for me, but I get your point.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovedup
    And for it to be perfect, their names must suit their personalities.

Why are you asking randoms to invent them then? We do not know your characters' personalities. :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    Matty reminds me of a wee blue haired biddy :\

Matty seems a nice, loving, blond haired, blue eyed cutie :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Why are you asking randoms to invent them then? We do not know your characters' personalities. :|

I don't want you to invent them, I'm looking for suggestions.

I've also been parked in front of a computer all week, working on the fecking book. Tbh, I just fancied a bit of interaction with real people who talk back and who I don't have to invent conversation for. Starting a thread about the book makes it seem less like skiving.