Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

please help if you know about computers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm moving into a house with my friends from college soon. In my own place, I've been doing online chat and have a few regular friends and have been posting on an dating discussion forum. Obviously, if i start doing it at the new place and if they find out about it, they will take the piss big time. They are much more into computers than i am. Do any computer people know whether they will be able to see what i'm doing?

Comments

• Options
    Re: please help if you know about computers
    Originally posted by SharkyBoy
    i'm moving into a house with my friends from college soon. In my own place, I've been doing online chat and have a few regular friends and have been posting on an dating discussion forum. Obviously, if i start doing it at the new place and if they find out about it, they will take the piss big time. They are much more into computers than i am. Do any computer people know whether they will be able to see what i'm doing?

If they really want to then yes they can unless you clear the cookies & history everytime you get off. All i can say is forget about them, what you do is your business. They will soon get bored of taking the piss if that did happen.
  • Options
    TBH why are you so bothered? you should not be ashamed of going online :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    TBH why are you so bothered? you should not be ashamed of going online :|

I think its the Dating bit he doenst want people to know.
  • Options
    I assume you'll be using your own computer, in which case they only would if they were nosy enough to look on your computer. Password protect it. Just set up your password in Windows. It's not 100% foolproof, but will stump most people.
    If you're sharing a computer, then you should clear out your history, cookies, etc, before exiting. You can get software (for free if you search for "freeware") that clears out your history, cookies, etc, when you exit/shutdown/logoff.
    If you're sharing a network connection (and technicaly this could include any network/internet connection) then they could be sneaky and install software on your computer which allows them to see exactly what you're doing, and even control your computer. Again, password protect it, keep the anti-virus software up to date, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Dude....you go to college and you have your own place...yet you use datin services??! Mate, the girls from the college are much more tasteful IMO! Plus they are available local and stuff other then a girl half way accross England. It may seem ok at first but I've tried it mate it's HELL.

If it's something like faceparty/face-pic then that's accepted with the majority. Services such as Meetic and....lonely hearts (??) aren't usually socially accepted yeah but your mates will be suspicous if you are secretive and obvious when you delete your history.

A clear history is more suspicous then going into the sites when they aren't lookin!
  • Options
    Actually dude, I already graduated college but I'm now moving in with old college friends in london. You're right, I didn't have reason to use dating services when I was at college. I'm back home in the real world right now and things have slowed down a bit!
    At my old flat, we shared the same hub and I got suspicious because one of my friends started quoting messages I'd posted back then. He may have been on my computer because I don't have a password. Is it also possible that he got infomation serverside as to which sites i'd been on?
  • Options

At my old flat, we shared the same hub and I got suspicious because one of my friends started quoting messages I'd posted back then. He may have been on my computer because I don't have a password. Is it also possible that he got infomation serverside as to which sites i'd been on?

No. Well, it's highly unlikely in any case. He'd have to run packet sniffer stuff on his computer and trace through all your network activity just to find anything.

More likely he snuck a peek at your browsing history and went to the sites you went to.
  • Options
    oh eck ...i feel all dirty now. like you want to put a dirty old mans mac on and go out in the rain! is going online realy that uncool ?
  • Options
    Then there's the possibility that one of them has installed some software on your computer which allows them to view whatever you're doing, or even record everything you do for playback later. There's plenty of networking software out there that can do this clandestinely. Either find it and uninstall it, or if you're knowledgeable enough, then wipe your hard disk and do a reninstall to get rid of it. Password protect your computer in the future.

Mr_Wobble ;)