Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Jamie's Kitchen

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone been watching Jamie's Kitchen and Return to Jamie's Kitchen on Channel 4? (For those that haven't seen it - it's about Jamie Oliver trying to open a restaurant that takes in 15 underprivileged kids and trains them to be chefs)

Does anyone think that Jamie Oliver is being way too soft on some of those teenagers? It seems like he's trying to give a lot of them 2nd and 3rd chances and many more then that but a lot of the kids just throw it back in this face.

There are probably hundreds of hard working teenagers sitting at home who are dying to be in their shoes and have such an opportunity - who'd do a much better job and turn up to work each day.

Does you think some people just can't be helped?

When is enough - enough and time to call it a day and realise you're wasting your efforts trying to get through to some of these teenagers?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    id cook the children slowly. :)

thatll teach the buggers.

but seriously; i think that people who are going to put effort in should be chosen because otherwise :no: its just wrong. its like giving a beggar all your money to have him buy a big fuck you sign with it :p
  • Options
    I dont watch. It seems rubbish.

Pukka Tucka my arse!
  • Options
    I've been watching it. I think that they're all lazy buggers, but I don't think he's too soft on them. I don't think that he's really come across right, like starting off being jokey at the start with them, so later on they're pushing their luck with him and getting away with it. I think he acts more like one of the kids himself, and I don't particularly think that boss swearing at kids and kids swearing at boss is a normal thing that happens at work... Is it? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Psycho_Smurf
    and I don't particularly think that boss swearing at kids and kids swearing at boss is a normal thing that happens at work... Is it? :confused:
    It does get like that in kitchens. Whilst at college, I was a waitress in a hotel and I hated the fucking head chef, he used to scream and shout and scare most of the poor waitresses. Except me, I gave as good as I got, the amount of times I was shouted in the office after a big slanging match I dont know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    It does get like that in kitchens. Whilst at college, I was a waitress in a hotel and I hated the fucking head chef, he used to scream and shout and scare most of the poor waitresses. Except me, I gave as good as I got, the amount of times I was shouted in the office after a big slanging match I dont know.

Ah ok. I guess it would get more stressful in a kitchen than in other jobs!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Psycho_Smurf
    I've been watching it. I think that they're all lazy buggers, but I don't think he's too soft on them. I don't think that he's really come across right, like starting off being jokey at the start with them, so later on they're pushing their luck with him and getting away with it. I think he acts more like one of the kids himself, and I don't particularly think that boss swearing at kids and kids swearing at boss is a normal thing that happens at work... Is it? :confused:

I think he just tried to be a nice chap from the begining and most of them are a bunch of total no hopers whol'll probably never get very far in their lives ... really if someone got their head down they'd have a damn good chance of becoming a famous TV chef themselves in about 5 years time, the media would probabaly give then much more exposure then any other person trying to break into the market.

I think some of these teenagers would benefit from army bootcamp, I think what most have lacked is a fim parent figure in their lives to guide them!!
  • Options
    It shocked me when i watched the first series, how not ONE of them could copy what he had shown them. Especially when he had shown them repeatedly AND they were allowed to take notes, ask questions etc. Pffft, i couldnt believe it! Pay attention!....fools...
  • Options
    I watched it last night. It was alright.
  • Options
    Yes I have seen all the episodes and I love it. But I do reckon Jamie is too soft on them. I would go mad if they were working for me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyT
    It shocked me when i watched the first series, how not ONE of them could copy what he had shown them. Especially when he had shown them repeatedly AND they were allowed to take notes, ask questions etc. Pffft, i couldnt believe it! Pay attention!....fools...

I get a feeling though that there mightbe one or two really good students in his class but they never get shown on TV ... but Jamie's going to be minting it I reckon they said he got 5,000 phone calls in the first week asking for bookins and the waiting list is huge!! Although I heard him mention he's invested £1.8 Million of his own money!!