Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

To phone in sick or not to phone in sick?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have a dilema, the title kinda gives it away... but, i have a uni meeting on saturday, which starts at 5, i dont finish work until half 5, i've begged my supervisor, if i can work half the day but she said no! so now i can't phone in sick can i?
arghhh what do i do? i've just applied for a promotion as well. it would look so bad to phone in sick now, but i can't miss this meeting. damn it.:mad: :mad:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bad idea.

Never phone in sick on a day that you have asked for off and never got.

You boss would instantly suspect you as not being ill at all.

Go with James' suggestion. Get someone to take notes for you and read them later.
    thanks for the advice guys but its a feshers, "getting to know each other" kinda meeting. so i need to go, plus it's especially for people who live off campus, and it's going to be difficult enough to make friends even if i don't missing this meeting.....:( i'm really miserable now.
    i'm just gonna get up stuck at work, being horrible to everyone, 'cause i want to be somewhere else! i suppose if i weigh things up, my happiness at uni is far more important than a poxy part time job?
    id phone in sick, if your supervisors being such a bitch and not letting you have a day off, then take it anyway, she cant exactly prove u werent sick now can she?
    Say your feeling unwell tomorrow- then call in sick friday and take Sat off too. tell her you got diarohea- she'll never question that!

Try scam something going to the doctor, getting a cert or making a copy of one a friend has- cant get in trouble with a cert!

Try coming in on the Sat, but leave at like 4:30 or something,
    Say you got a phone call and a relation/parent has been taken into hospital sick and they think it could be serious. Have to do this one quick and like you believe and be all rushed and flustered- just ig nore anything else she says afterwards!

Or you could always try sexual favours with your boss?
    if i were you i would go back to the people at work and just tell them that you have a meeting at uni that you CAN'T miss, and tbh, your education is more important to you that your job.

if they don't recognise that, then they're idiots.

but if you lie to them they could get all pissy, and if you've asked for the time off already, they'll KNOW your lying to them.
    You could phone in dead. :confused:
    Originally posted by bad seed
    You could phone in dead. :confused:
    Ive thought about this before, then phone back the next day and say "false alarm" or "im back from the dead"

I wouldnt bother going to the meeating, I didnt go to mine and its not caused probs.

*slaps forehead*

just seen the time
    Can't you go to the meeting late?

Or just ask to leave work an hour early or summat just so you've got the time to go. They can't stop you doing that. could you say only take a 30 min lunch break to make up the time for a couple of days?
    depends how much you want to keep your job. I dont see why you cant go to your freshers week meeting half an hour late? It doesnt sound particularly important, Youre more likely to get shit from skiving off work, than for being half an hour late for a freshers week meeting.
    oops, reckon the meeting has been and gone now, what did u do?
    lol. thanks rainbow.
    i managed to go into work and beg and plead to leave early. i told them it was a matter of life or death. they weren't impressed but hey ho! i still got promoted!YAY ME!

the meeting was quite important, i made new friends as well, which means i settle in better!