Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Study tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I want to achieve my pontentail when it comes to my january and summer exams.

Can anyone gimme any tips they think will help me fulfill my potential before the start and during the revision period

Thanx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    LOL!!!! ok mate - sorry got that all over w/

ok mate from my experience - take jan exams seriously u will hate retaking them as it just becomes a drag, and puts more on ur work load.

wehn u get work - DO IT!

read the books well - mates lots of legable notes.

maybe do an end of topic review... an A3 poster maybe w/ all the info concentrated so that u wehn it gets to exam time, u'll have more time to get the info into ur head.

(use lots of colour, diagrams and draw pix - no matter how crap u may be @ it!) cuz there's more chance of remembering them.

revise early definalty dont leave it late - u will regret it and spend nites crying cuz u aint got enfuf time.

an 1hr or 2 a week is nothing... so just do it.. even make lil games (pairs etc) when u get board.

the number one key is MOTIVATION - find sum and stick to it! know y u r working. e.g. wanna go to a certain uni, wanna go on holiday, wanna do better than "______"!, wanna get ur results on results day w/ a masive smile on ur face n' go party.

have long-term and short term goals..

short term:
    when i finnish this essay im gonna buy a cream cake, or im gonna go out to a club. - if i dont, i wont.

longterm:
    going to a certain uni

Hope this helps

P.S. - think i did the opposite! but mate u realy should try this, cuz i didnt reach my potential... mainly cuz i had no motivation, and hated the subjects that i did!
  • Options
    I think my best tip is to try to be consistent over the whole year. Definitely don't leave everything to the last minute. The thing that motivated me was fear - I was scared about what would happen if I didn't do well in my exams.

It's a balancing act - working out how much time to spend working, and how much to spend relaxing. Believe it or not, you can go too far in both directions! Just try to maintain a good level of progress throughout the year, and then wen you come to revision, you'll be so much better prepared. Good luck!
  • Options
    Seriously dude, don't stress too much in the first year. Do the work to give yourself a good basis for the work that you will have to do later in the degree. I worked my nuts off in the first year and got a first, but it didn't make that much of an impact on my final mark (which was a first), since I had to work so much harder later. I really wish I had gone out a bit more.

Just try and keep on top of the work and make sure you are satisfied you know the stuff. Don't sit there for hours on end trying to learn one difficult fact: it's the law of diminishing returns. You can work for 2 hours and get 65%, but that extra 5% costs you another 2 hours. In the first year where the grades don't count towards your final grade, those extra 2 hours aren't really worth it.
  • Options
    a very useful article on studying for you

Getting a good technique from the start is a good idea, but do enjoy yourself a bit too

Susie :)
  • Options
    lol, didn't relize u were in 1st yr! just have fun mate dont stress... :)
  • Options
    lol, didn't relize u were in 1st yr! just have fun mate dont stress...

No im in my final yr of college doin my A-levels