Home Politics and Debate
Exciting news! Join our watch club and get free access to NOW for 1 month

Cutting school run congestion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think that the Government's new initiative to get more children to walk or cycle to school is a good idea. There is no need for the all the traffic that clogs up the roads by schools. It will also improve the health of Britain's school children.

But why on Earth is it going to cost £50m to implement? Most schools already have bike sheds, and it won't cost much to build them at schools that don't. But no new initiative is complete without throwing money away on a new layer of bureaucracy.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its ok thinking about these things but I think they need to bring back the cycling profficiency test well before any things are changed. I am assuming this test is no longer in practice as our school does not have it.

    Also talking about traffic clogging up the roads dont you think there are as many lazy adults who will take the car on short journeys, like to the shops or to the pub which are only round the corner ?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    £50m? Even £5m would be a bit hard to justify.

    I was going to say that perhaps this budget includes school buses for every school in the country, but that's not the case is it? :rolleyes:

    But yes, it is a good initiative.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    £7.5m of the £50m is going to be used to pay for more local authority-based school transport advisers. That's £7.5m to hire people to advise school children on how to walk to school.

    The patronising arrogance of Labour is disgusting.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    £7.5m of the £50m is going to be used to pay for more local authority-based school transport advisers. That's £7.5m to hire people to advise school children on how to walk to school.

    The patronising arrogance of Labour is disgusting.

    My village was chosen as a pilot village a few years ago for the local Council's "Walk to school" scheme. They put millions of speed bumps everywhere and they also painted things on the pavement to help children walk to school. We now have yellow and green trees painted on the pavement to show the safest routes to and from school and little blue boxes at the safe crossing points (no pedestrain crossings though, but then we are only a village).

    It's all very pretty, but I don't know how effective it is!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    It's all very pretty, but I don't know how effective it is!

    For younger children thats a brilliant idea. It makes walking an adventure as they will be looking for the correct places to walk. I have never heard about that one but for me it gets the :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    For younger children thats a brilliant idea. It makes walking an adventure as they will be looking for the correct places to walk. I have never heard about that one but for me it gets the :thumb:

    Yeah the other day, I was watching a little boy walking home with his mum, and he kept running up to the trees and jumping on them and shouting "greeeeeeeeen!" or "yellllloooooow!"

    It was very cute :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Cutting school run congestion
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    I think that the Government's new initiative to get more children to walk or cycle to school is a good idea. There is no need for the all the traffic that clogs up the roads by schools. It will also improve the health of Britain's school children.

    But why on Earth is it going to cost £50m to implement? Most schools already have bike sheds, and it won't cost much to build them at schools that don't. But no new initiative is complete without throwing money away on a new layer of bureaucracy.


    I agree totally but you should credit Richard Littlejohn went copying from his column!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Cutting school run congestion
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I agree totally but you should credit Richard Littlejohn went copying from his column!

    Excuse me? What does he have to do with anything? I can't stand him.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Richard Littlejohn The Sun 19/0/9/03

    'But no new initiative is complete without throwing money away on a new layer of bureaucracy'.

    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,43-2003432099,00.html

    Squat_Tom -

    'But no new initiative is complete without throwing money away on a new layer of bureaucracy.'


    hmmmm....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Damn! Rumbled...

    You've got me. I just thought he put it really well. Come to think of it, I should have used the 'Ministry of Silly Walks' line too. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.