Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Essential Reading

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I have decided to start reading books as I feel it's somthing I haven't done nearly enough of in my life (I come from a family a little like the Royal Family :rolleyes: ).

The problem is that I have no idea what I should read and I don't want to read rubbish that will kill any desire I have to read! I'd like to get a mix of classics and modern greats, so what would you recommend as essential reading?

Cheers!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Penguin do a lot of classics, cheaply. I'd start by that, if I hadn't read for a long time.
  • Options
    Cheaper still....... get a library card and just see what takes your fancy i reckon......

i'd recommend Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman part of a trilogy of books he wrote, i'm reading it at the moment and haven't been able to put it down.....
  • Options
    being a war junky, all the conspiracy/war books interest me, ive found the best are tom clancy's books, but you really need to read them in order as they do follow on from each other, apart from red storm rising and without remorse which are stand alone
  • Options
    The Proud Highway or The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson are both works of genius.

The CEO of the Sofa by P J O'Rourke is really funny.

J G Ballards new book is supposed to be really good, also I've read Super-Cannes by him and I know thats good.

The Leopard by Giuseppe Lampedusa is a total gem, purely beautiful, writing at its best and most artistic.

Queer by William S. Burroughs is excellent too, a really touching love story.

My Uncle Osworld by Roald Dahl, is really funny, quite dirty too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nastroman
    being a war junky, all the conspiracy/war books interest me, ive found the best are tom clancy's books, but you really need to read them in order as they do follow on from each other, apart from red storm rising and without remorse which are stand alone

As amazing as Tom Clancy is, you do not start of with that, when you're not a routinated reader.
  • Options
    BritJames; Whats the difference between going to a bookshop and picking one at random and suggestions. Its not like any of us know Bristolmike and his tastes, so therefore anything we come forward with is random.
  • Options
    recent books i've read are:

Dope Stories - Howard Marks - a collection of drugs related stories from different cultures and countries, recommend it to anyone

Killing Pablo - dunno who its by - hunting down of pablo escobar

and mr nice also by howard marks. story of his life

oh and the harry potters
  • Options
    Gotta agree with Ronhaze. Harry Potter books are a nice easy read. The plot flows nicely and because they are targeted for young adults not too difficult to read. I quite enjoyed them.

My favs have to be Laymon (Some brill shortish stories), Koontz (Fantastic Story teller), Check out Clive Barker's Books of Blood & of course the master, Stephen King.
  • Options
    Ronhaze; If you liked Mr Nice you should read a book called Snowblind, its similar but much better in my view.

I've also read some of the Harry Potter books, the stories are good but sometimes I get annoyed at her sentance structure.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    the master,Stephen King.

OF COURSE! The Shining, or It. I read It as my second SK book and I loved it (the first one was Rose Madder but I didn't find that as good). I also agree with buzz about the Northern Lights thing. That is a brilliant book. LOTR as well. Um. What else? Um. There's a book my mum got me a while ago called 'The Hounds Of The Morrigan' it's brilliant I've read it like 5 times and didn't get sick of it once. Can't remember who it's by atm. Probably will later. Oh and Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are good as well.
  • Options
    I've nearly finished reading Lord Of The Flies by J M Golding. Highly recommended - it's not difficult to read but it's really well written and plotted and a great story. Mr Nice as well, as people have said before, is brilliant.
  • Options
    1984 - George Orwell, its not to difficult to read or understand but its a classic and I love it, I've read it like 8 times now. I love Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks as well, made me cry at the end.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    As amazing as Tom Clancy is, you do not start of with that, when you're not a routinated reader.

:yes: Tom Clancy is good but a bit much for your first read in a while.

Personally I would take a look at the Discworld Novels by Terry Pratchett (start with The Light Fantastic and the Colour of Magic) as they are easy to read and fun. Then try some Iain Banks or Iain M Banks (fiction or sci-fi) such as Whit or Against a Dark Background (both excellent, but consider any.)

Also, depending on what sort of thing you are interested in, you could try stuff by RA Salvatore, and Jasper Fforde (if you can find any).

My first book (at primary school) was The Sword of Shannara. But then I think I was a quite advanced reader for my age group.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zero II
    I've nearly finished reading Lord Of The Flies by J M Golding. Highly recommended - it's not difficult to read but it's really well written and plotted and a great story. Mr Nice as well, as people have said before, is brilliant.

By the way, it's William Golding. I dunno why I thought "J. M."...

Also really easy to read and very entertaining is Twelve by Nick McDonell. He's only 18, wrote it in school holidays last year or something and it's fantastic stuff.