Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Legalise all drugs?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wouldn't it all be a lot easier if everyone just went "Ahhh sod it, let's just get our kicks from fags and booze."?

no not really, think about it...everyone smoking and drinking...and leaving illegal drugs alone, pah, it wouldn't work.

if it gives a good buzz make it illegal then, why?

illegal drug=good buzz.
    illegal drug=good buzz.

Yes, but the highest buzz comes at the highest risk. Refer to my original post. Do you see?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Dynamize
    Addiction is a terrible thing, it can be all-consuming, and, on the face of it, can cause otherwise pleasant, rational people to commit brutal crimes in order to satisfy it.

Yet if heroin addicts could get what they need on prescription, they wouldn't need to commit crimes to fund their habit.
    Weekender Offender 
    Originally posted by Dynamize

You say that "opium, heroin and morphine has no neglilable effects whatsoever on your mind, heart, liver, kidneys, spleen, muscles etc."
    Wrong, drug use has very definite effects on the mind and the body.
    Addiction is a terrible thing, it can be all-consuming, and, on the face of it, can cause otherwise pleasant, rational people to commit brutal crimes in order to satisfy it.
    Amphetamine abuse can lead to violent outbursts, schizophrenic episodes, paranoia, heart and blood vessel problems.
    MDMA causes serious reduction in the brain's production of seratonin, leading to unipolar and bi-polar depression.

Very true, yet the negative effects are there for all to see. Do you really believe that it's GOOD to pump people toting guns full of amphetamines? It's GOOD to slip mothers a nice little pill that'll have them racing around a hundred miles a minute? Doctors thought so, then discovered the negative effects and stopped, just like they stopped thlydomide.

My theory is that if you were to legalise all drugs as of tomorrow, the country would enter a crisis. Addiction rates would soar, why? Because young people would come into contact with "hard" drugs, and in the spirit of youth, experiment. Unfortunately hard drugs are highly addictive, so that experimentation has dire consequences.
    Once all drugs are legalised and it's perfectly acceptable to use them, accidental deaths increase. Yes, we already have drink drivers, but legalising yet more drugs would lead to the roads becoming even more of a death-trap.
    Many people skip work because they're doped-up on whatever, the economy suffers.
    You say that heroin users are perfectly capable of out-performing "clean" people in work. Well, that's a helluva generalisation. While you/people you know are quite capable, you may be the exception to the rule.

Yes, cigarettes and booze are legal and they can be just as damaging as illegal drugs. I admit I'm a 20-a-day man, and I enjoy drinking, so maybe I'm being ignorant and hypocritical.
    But just because we have two legal drugs doing the business doesn't logically mean we should have more.
    Yes, because they're illegal people give money to criminals, but I think that drugs' illegality generally makes your average person think that they're "bad", and you should steer clear. Thus the amount of money going to criminals is reduced because most people don't do illegal drugs.

To me it looks like a catch-22 situation. If they're illegal, money goes to criminals and addicts/users have to buy dodgy stuff and get arrested.
    If they're legal it's all out in the open, proper provision can be made for addicts/users and the government gets extra taxes for healthcare/whatever, but there's a very real danger that it'll all go pear-shaped and we'll have a serious problem on our hands.

I agree that people should be allowed to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't affect others. As John Stuart Mill said "Over his body and mind, the individual is sovereign.". It's just when that sovereignty harms others that it all gets a bit complicated :( .
    Wouldn't it all be a lot easier if everyone just went "Ahhh sod it, let's just get our kicks from fags and booze."?
    Bahh, we humans, always wantin' more :)
    YOU HAVEN'T BELIEVED A WORD I'VE SSAID. oops caps lock.
    ok ...lets keep things as they are ...ilegal. what good has that done for the last 30yrs or more? we are getting an ever growing problem ...so what do you propose ...keep on doing things the way we have ...making the problem never ending? doing nothing at all but saying ... its ilegal ? any sane person can see that the problem is escalating ...so what do you propose? lets leave it all as it is ...ilegal and mushrooming out of control ...beause society doesn't have any control over it. by legalizing ...we take control. by leaving things the way they are ...you expect things to change for the better?
    and ...addiction to something ilegal is completely different to addiction to something legal.
    look up the medical facts regarding addiction to opites and the effects on the mind and body ...no long term harmful effects.
    but so what if there are harmfull effects ...wouldn't you rather the authorities have control of those effects as opposed to gangsters and terrorists having control?
    All of the illegal drugs are different and it would be stupid to treat them the same.

Cannabis and the softer drugs such as MDMA, LSD etc, should be brought into legal outlets, where users would be informed about what they were getting.

Addictive drugs such as heroin, cocaine, crack and others would be widely available from doctors on script. In this way their addiction could be managed and treated.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    YOU HAVEN'T BELIEVED A WORD I'VE SSAID. oops caps lock.
    ok ...lets keep things as they are ...ilegal. what good has that done for the last 30yrs or more? we are getting an ever growing problem ...so what do you propose ...keep on doing things the way we have ...making the problem never ending? doing nothing at all but saying ... its ilegal ? any sane person can see that the problem is escalating ...so what do you propose? lets leave it all as it is ...ilegal and mushrooming out of control ...beause society doesn't have any control over it. by legalizing ...we take control. by leaving things the way they are ...you expect things to change for the better?
    and ...addiction to something ilegal is completely different to addiction to something legal.
    look up the medical facts regarding addiction to opites and the effects on the mind and body ...no long term harmful effects.
    but so what if there are harmfull effects ...wouldn't you rather the authorities have control of those effects as opposed to gangsters and terrorists having control?

I agree Mr Roll and if they sell certain drugs in say... licensed stores they can bring in more taxes to improve the NHS. One thing I don't get is why is alcohol legal and not marijuana?

However, at the same time people should be educated better on what the effects of these drugs can be. I mean if somebody pops pills then they're doing it because they want to and they know the risk. It's their own body, they should have the right to do what they want to it and if they end up ill then it's their own doing.

Then again, I wouldn't be so sure about heroine and cocaine... I mean smoke a spliff and all... but there might be more traffic accidents.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Then again, I wouldn't be so sure about heroine and cocaine... I mean smoke a spliff and all... but there might be more traffic accidents.
    when i say full legalisation i do mean precribing when it comes to heroin. but not the way the limited trial runs of prescribing are now where before you get your script you have to walk across broken bottles, jump through hoops of fire and generaly spend months ...even years, shooting ilegal stuff, getting in a mess and then ...finaly you get a script.
    i don't profess to know what the best ways of legalizing would actualy be,how things would be implemented etc.
    i also see a major problem with prescribing crack. crack heads are seriously out of control people. you'd have to prescribe it a lot to each individual and then turn out into the street a mad man.
    it would be a bit like prescribing whiskey for an alcoholic. come round to the clinic, get absolutely slaughtered and then fall all the way home shouting abuse at people till tomorrows script ...maybe vouchers that were exchangable in the pub?
    maybe having crack dens ...socialy unacebtable i know ...maybe it would actualy put people off such degradation.
    legalisation is a minefield.
    With regard to drinks, drugs and driving, something that happened to me once comes to mind.

I can honestly say that cocaine saved my life... A few years ago on the last day of a holiday in Madrid I stayed all night up with friends at various bars. Although we didn't drink lots it is safe to say we were over the limit. My friend then gave me a lift from the bars straight to the airport at 7 am, and as it happens we had just done a nice line of charlie each. As we came to the top of a small hill on the motorway we suddenly saw that a car was reversing (!) on the fast lane of the motorway (!!!) and coming towards us, scarcely 40 yards away. My friend had no more than 1 second to react, and I am certain that if we hadn't had that line of charlie we would have collided head on with the idiot at 70 mph. As it happened we managed to dodge her by about 4 inches and went on to crash against the central reservation, although by then we had managed to reduce speed.

Even if my friend hadn't had a single drink I doubt his reaction time would have been as sharp after being up all night if we hadn't had that charlie.

Since then my admiration for Colombian marching powder has doubled (if that was possible).
    ;)
    If they are all legalised, then the government taxes them and people who have habits now are even worse off. This country has enough trouble with debt without further pushing ourselves into trouble by feeding habits.
    Originally posted by Bristolmike
    If they are all legalised, then the government taxes them and people who have habits now are even worse off. This country has enough trouble with debt without further pushing ourselves into trouble by feeding habits.

*sigh*

if drugs are kept illegal there is going to be more and more and more debt because of people having to turn to crime to pay for their drugs, if the government made drugs legal then charge less than the street dealers do, problem solved and clean drugs from the government, not any mixed and dirty shit.
    Morrocan roll; your right, crack is the big one, heroin users can be given their stuff and preaty much they wont be a problem, they may just sit around a lot but, well thats not a serious problem. But a crack habbit is never ending, there is no limit to how much they will want and consume, your just signing their death warrent if you give it to them.

I'd say that centers where they could be treated with whatever meds could help in the short term would be best, then help when they leave.