Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Legal brothels?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Imagine legalised brothels, clean and with prostitutes tested regulary and using protection. It'd be covered with laws around minimum wage and have good admins, it'd be open about the career in prostitution and hopefully remove the stigma of sexuality and women.

Oh and it wouldn't employ anybody under 21.

We debated this in college and I'm for the legalisation of it under certain conditions. We have people going out to clubs and sleeping with people they don't know anyway, so why not make a career of it?

In my opinion, society is so uptight about sexuality it's ridiculous. And why? When people say that the Bible has less importance today to our society than since it was first introduced. I mean women should have the right to do what they want to their bodies... right?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It'd be good to see legalised brothels set up just so girls working there have more protection and a higher level of safety. If they chose to follow that profession then that is their choice.

However, I saw some of this programme about a brothel in America - an organised and well-ran one so that safety was maximised. One night though one girl was raped by one of her clients and it was horrible. It was awful - brought me to tears. That is the one thing that concerns me; people taking advantage. But this could be combatted if laws and certain rules were set-up.
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    It'd be good to see legalised brothels set up just so girls working there have more protection and a higher level of safety. If they chose to follow that profession then that is their choice.

However, I saw some of this programme about a brothel in America - an organised and well-ran one so that safety was maximised. One night though one girl was raped by one of her clients and it was horrible. It was awful - brought me to tears. That is the one thing that concerns me; people taking advantage. But this could be combatted if laws and certain rules were set-up.
    get brit james to put a secret camera and ....
    Re: Legal brothels?
    Originally posted by MoonRat

In my opinion, society is so uptight about sexuality it's ridiculous. And why? When people say that the Bible has less importance today to our society than since it was first introduced. I mean women should have the right to do what they want to their bodies... right?

No woman should go into prostitution as a buisness. Bible or no bible, I think that most people can agree that it is an intimite act, where there needs to be some sort of will except from the money being a factor.

Though, prostituion is the eldest profession, and we won't get rid of it. Ever. So some kind of rules making it easier and healthier for the people involved wouldn't hurt anyone.
    Re: Re: Legal brothels?
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Though, prostituion is the eldest profession, and we won't get rid of it. Ever. So some kind of rules making it easier and healthier for the people involved wouldn't hurt anyone.

... 2nd Eldest Profession ... first was Dinosaur Trainer .. LOL :D

Hey might be a good idea - you could at least tax it, and get people off the streets.
    They're going to continue anyway. So why not legalise it with these laws? Its alot better.
    Prostitution doesn't have to harm anybody.

It should be further legalised in this country. Ultimately it's only sex between consenting adults.
    Re: Re: Re: Legal brothels?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

Hey might be a good idea - you could at least tax it, and get people off the streets.
    That's disgusting. Making money on people's misfortune.
    Oh and it wouldn't employ anybody under 21.

If sixteen is the age of consent, then why can't people below 21 work as prostitutes?
    Re: Re: Legal brothels?
    No woman should go into prostitution as a buisness.

Why ?

If a woman can make a good wage doing what she feels fine with then why not?

If a man wants to pay for sex then let him. Making them legal would be a lot safer for the average working girl.
    Re: Re: Re: Legal brothels?
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Why ?

If a woman can make a good wage doing what she feels fine with then why not?

Show me a woman who feels fine with it after having done it out of necessity.
    Some don't feel the effects until much later, but I have yet to hear about a woman not wishing herself a better life, than doing one of the most disgraceful and dangerous jobs.
    Are most women forced to be prostitutes?

If they are not, why should their choice to be a prostitute be condemned or vilified?
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Are most women forced to be prostitutes?
    By unplesant conditions, often related to addictions and financial troubles, yes.
    By unplesant conditions, often related to addictions and financial troubles, yes.

If they are adults and they choose to do it then who are we to judge?
    How I see it is yes they may need the money to feed a drug habit or they need the money to pay bills etc but I would rather them go into prostitution than go into a life of crime.

They are hurting nobody, as long as we are talking about adults then let them do as they please.
    Please re-read my first post.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal brothels?

than doing one of the most disgraceful and dangerous jobs.

Dangerous I would agree with so thats why make it legal.

Disgraceful I do not agree with. I couldn't do it myself but for some people its purely ' A Job ' .
    Please re-read my first post.

Yes I have and you say they should not go into it as a business......why?

If they are business minded why not ? If I saw a business that was going to make me money and I had no problems doing the job then id go for it. Its because we are talking sex that people think its so wrong. Lots of these girls actually class it as a job. Obviously you get the cheap prostitutes who would just stand on street corners and not take pride in how they look but for others they make themselves up nicely, wear nice clothes and treat the job as a proffession, just like you would work Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm.
    Its a job thats all.

I understand why you dont agree with it, what is so wrong with getting paid for sex if both are adults and they both consent?
    Seems to me as if you're arguing for arguings sake.
    Seems to me as if you're arguing for arguings sake.

Sorry !!!!

Im debating Jacq :)

You came out with comments and I was wanting to you give your reasons as to why. You seem as though you are totally against it and I wanted to see exactly why. If thats not the case then I apologise :)
    I've stated pretty clearly that while some women are more at ease with it, I have yet to hear of someone who doesn't do it out of need.
    Sleeping someone just for money's sake is not the same as a one night stand. It isn't done to satisfy own sexual needs, but to get some money. Do you think that a prostitute would consent to the majority of these men, if there wasn't any money involved?

It is a displeasing profession, and in an ideal society women wouldn't feel the need to.

All that could have been derived from previous posts.
    and in an ideal society women wouldn't feel the need to.

We are not in an ideal society though are we, as I said previously better they get paid for sex than turning to a life of crime.

A prostitute would probably not sleep with these men if she were not being paid. I have said they treat this as a job so if you think about it how many people go out and work in jobs that they hate just to make ends meet ?
    No we are not in an ideal world and we have to make the most of what we have so if a woman decides the only way she can make ends me is by doing prostituion then so be it.
    We are not in an ideal society though are we, as I said previously better they get paid for sex than turning to a life of crime.

A prostitute would probably not sleep with these men if she were not being paid. I have said they treat this as a job so if you think about it how many people go out and work in jobs that they hate just to make ends meet ?
    No we are not in an ideal world and we have to make the most of what we have so if a woman decides the only way she can make ends me is by doing prostituion then so be it.

Again, I do not understand where you're going. Instead of pinpointing to a sentance, you might want to take notice of the whole of what was said.
    I've stated what i think, and also that I don't see an end to prostitution. I don't get why these points need repetition, over and over again.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal brothels?
    That's disgusting. Making money on people's misfortune.

OK pinpoint one thing you said, so there you have it.

Its not disgusting at all, if a woman treats prostitution as a job and she is prepared to pay the taxes then HOW the hell is it disgusting ? and what misfortune are we talking about ?

I think what you find disgusting is the fact that people actually do sleep with someone for money.
    I think it's sad people have to turn to prostitution - it can be a dangerous profession. However, due to present society, some people don't have a choice, so it'd be better to make it as safe and as legitimate as possible.
    It'll always be present in society too - as long as we have sexual desire.
    You people are too contradictory. You denouce prostitution yet state that it will always be with us.

Prostitution is a victimless crime. It should be legalised.
    when i was in the thick of the crime and nightclub scene in manchester around 20 yrs ago i met and knew many prostitutes ..
    before you ask i have never had sex with one ...some of them had indeed drifted into it out of desperation and carried on being desperate kinds of people but ...they could feed the kids and pay the bills ...sure beat social security.
    then there are the women who have chosen prostitution as a carear. there are the not so succesful who make three hundred quid a week ...there are girls around the hotels earning a thousand pounds a night. the better off ones usualy retire before they are 40 and put their hard earned cash into all sorts of investments. a great many prostitutes are highly inteligent and happy women. not desperate in any way whatsoever.
    but desperate or successful ...who are we to throw them in jail simply for charging for sex? now that is imoral! what favours are you doing society? your certainly not helping the women by throwing them in clink.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal brothels?
    OK pinpoint one thing you said, so there you have it.

Its not disgusting at all, if a woman treats prostitution as a job and she is prepared to pay the taxes then HOW the hell is it disgusting ? and what misfortune are we talking about ?

I think what you find disgusting is the fact that people actually do sleep with someone for money.

Yes, and even more so that people would exploit such a sad situation.

Either way, this is discussion is bringing nothing new, and it's dull and tiresome repeating the same stuff 5 times in the same thread.
    You people are too contradictory. You denouce prostitution yet state that it will always be with us.

Prostitution is a victimless crime. It should be legalised.

Life is full of contradictions. Prostitution has always been around and always will be. I just don't like the situations it sometimes put those who pratice it in - people often end up victims. We're saying it should be legalised, so it can be safer.
    I doubt many prostitutes are forced into the industry by any one person. Though I concede that they may be 'forced' into it be circumstance.

Did you know that prostitution is technically legal in the UK? Street prostitution is illegal, but a woman (or man even) can only work by themselves.
    If sixteen is the age of consent, then why can't people below 21 work as prostitutes?

If, at sixteen you can produce a family of your own and give birth to a child, why can you not vote on childcare, welfare and health care issues until you are Eighteen?