Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

talismans and charms ..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
eye.gif

do you have any charms ...talismans ...to ward off misfortune or evil? charms for luck etc?

By Hannah Holmes
A sharp glance. A cutting look. A piercing stare. If looks could kill.

When it comes to the human head, no feature has quite the reputation for villainy as the old hairy eyeball.
We don't refer to the murderous mouth, the nasty nostril or the baleful ear. Oh, the tongue may lash, but its bark is worse than its bite. True terror resides in the eye.
It has always been this way, or at least as close to always as we can tell. The theme of the Evil Eye runs deep and wide in human history. Universally it describes a look inspired by maliciousness or jealousy. Also universally it is blamed for causing everything from garden-variety bad luck to toothaches, headaches, disease and death. An envious Evil Eye falling on your pigs may presage an impending sausage shortage. And to this day in Turkey, many parents keep new babies under wraps for 40 days, for fear that their defenseless beauty will inspire a jealous glance.

Many Turks still use blue-glass "eye" brooches to ward off the gruesome gaze. "Silly them," you say, but you may be wearing an Evil Eye charm, too. Here's a partial list of items whose roots may be anti-ophthalmological:

Lockets

One old European Evil Eye defense was to write spells or prayers on a piece of paper, and stuff it in a little container to wear on your body. Colonial Americans were partial to heart-shaped containers.

Battle decorations

Warriors believed that distracting and flashy decor on helmets and shields would derail the enemy's perilous peepers.

Eye make-up

Indian women drew black lines around their eyes not only to shield themselves from the Evil Eye, but also to ensure that they didn't accidentally inflict the Evil Eye on their friends.

Harness gew-gaws

Livestock, which incited envy in days of yore just as surely as do Mercedes and Porsches today, were equally vulnerable to the Evil Eye. Baubles and red yarn distracted the green-eyed gaze. (Jealousy is said to be green-eyed; likewise, blue and green eyes are often suspected of being the evil ones.)

Animal brooches and charms

Animals with unusual eyes -- foxes, grasshoppers, snakes, fish, snails, toads -- were often accused of wielding the Evil Eye. But, perversely, their images, worn on the body, evolved into protections against it.

Why the eye?
"Staring is a way of asserting one's dominance and of expressing interest in another person," says Ohio State University psychologist Gerald Winer. "It can be viewed as an intrusion. And it's a short step from casting a glance to casting a spell."
Winer's research has shown that many children -- and even college students -- believe some type of emanation from the eye facilitates the process of seeing, a belief that mirrors ancient theory. Furthermore he speculates that the act of looking, which is more obviously focused than the act of, say, listening, makes it seem more invasive. These aspects of looking, plus all that emotional "window of the soul" stuff, make the eyes a formidable force indeed, and ripe for supernatural speculation.

Raise your hand if you can tell when someone's staring at you, or if you think you can get someone's attention by staring at the back of her head.
The vast majority of college students subscribe to this theory, Winer says, and unlike superstitions about Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, this one gets stronger with age, not weaker.
Yeah, I said superstition. Numerous experiments have demonstrated that people can't tell when they're being watched, and Winer is openly skeptical of the few experiments that found people can tell.

Don't you feel dumb? You're walking around wearing an anti-Evil Eye amulet, plus you believe you can bounce vision-beams off your friend's head to make her turn around. Heh.

Hey, stop giving me the Evil Eye. I can feel that.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting...

I wear a pentacle actually, which I believe works as both invocation of magick and energies and protection from negative things. It looks kinda like this...

pentacle.jpg
  • Options
    Animals with unusual eyes -- foxes, grasshoppers, snakes, fish, snails, toads -- were often accused of wielding the Evil Eye. But, perversely, their images, worn on the body, evolved into protections against it.[/b

Yup, note also the symbolism of animals in ancient folklore.
    Don't you feel dumb? You're walking around wearing an anti-Evil Eye amulet, plus you believe you can bounce vision-beams off your friend's head to make her turn around. Heh.

Well I don't have an evil eye amulet, but I don't feel dumb wearing my pentacle, even if I've had people calling me a 'witch' or a 'heathen' because that's how they've interpretted it. It emcompasses my beliefs.

Folklore can be interesting though. For example, although it's off the mark a little, it's not good for you to sleep with your head pointing south. Ohhh and sleeping with a knife under your matress can ward off bad dreams, as can having a mirror above your headboard. Don't put two mirrors together facing each other eother, apparently it opens a door to the spirit world. Certain incenses and coloured candles have different properties ect...

It's a funny old world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    having a mirror above your headboard.
    don't give me that bollox ...i know all about mirrors in bedrooms thankyou.
  • Options
    Hey, it's just folklore, something I read. Less gross than the witch bottle.

Take a small bottle or vial, half fill it with sharp objects, e.g. grass, sharp metal, drawing pins and then piss in it to fill the other half. Finally, dig a hole in the ground and bury it.

I think the mirror reflects bad energies.
  • Options

I think the mirror reflects bad energies.
    not in my bedroom it doesn't!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    not in my bedroom it doesn't!

lol what does it show. just ya bald head N wrinkles?

my friend, she said wrinkles are sexy lol?:confused:

anyway i think she'd love ya rolly :thumb:

na ya know im messing.:)
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't do mirrors. They're only useful for houseparties and raves.

I actually sleep with a knife under my mattress though, I haven't had a bad dream for months lol
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't do mirrors. They're only useful for houseparties and raves.

I actually sleep with a knife under my mattress though, I haven't had a bad dream for months lol

oooooo i have one under my pillow.
  • Options
    rounders bat under the matress and a pickaxe handle behind the door ...and no they're not sex toys!
  • Options
    Need 'em... else the clowns will come get you.
  • Options
    lol whats that for. beating the welsh away?

hey rolly u got msn. ya a quilty gezzer and im bored.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    oooooo i have one under my pillow.

*Walks away*

Why????
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    *Walks away*

Why????

lol i use to anyway. personal reasons.
  • Options
    I have an evil eye, got it in Turkey for a fiver. Gold anall.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    lol whats that for. beating the welsh away?

hey rolly u got msn. ya a quilty gezzer and im bored.
    cannot stand friggin msn and the like. had it a couple of years back and it drove me friggin mental. never again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    cannot stand friggin msn and the like. had it a couple of years back and it drove me friggin mental. never again.

lol poor sod. u got any instand messegers?
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I
    I was thinking of getting a crucifix,
    no no no! why on earth would anyone want to get into religous idolatry after all the warnings in the bible ...especialy the ones with some poor guy nailed to it! and did you know ...the romans did not use crosses but stakes ...the whole cross thing is another lie! it predates christianity by about 3,000yrs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J

I guess the symbol is in the deeds you do, not in what you wear.
    thats almost a line from the bible and the koran!