Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

HELP with passworded rar file

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i probably should be posting in a hackers forum, but this is my usual place for problems, so here it is....

Help!
i've lost my diary.
here it goes:
i write in my diary every day, it's a .doc file and i've put it in a .rar archive and the file in the archive is password-protected.

i open it every night (from within the archive, without extracting) type the password in, update it in Word, save, it asks for password again to confirm the save, type the password in twice and it saves it.

been doing it like that for months.

then yesterday it wouldn't recognise the password anymore. i haven't changed it. i think the password part of the file got corrupt, so it doesn't recognise the original password anymore.

i've run scandisc on that partition (just in case it might correct the corruption problem), didn't help. downloaded about 3 different rar-password-crackers off the net, but they are shareware version which only support password cracking up to 3 characters in length (the original password was 7). can i get a crack/registration code for them?

:mad:
any help from anyone? any ideas appreciated cos i've lost over 5 months of diary entries!

(yes, i'm backing up from now on, so don't go on at me about back-ups! :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Options
    As you've already found, there are password crackers for compressed and passworded files. Have a search for any Winzip file password crackers too, as there's a good chance you'll find one that cracks rar files too. Also, use the word "freeware" when searching for cracking programs (you probably already have though).

Of course, you could just use your backup file, right? Then just have to loose the entries for the past few days, or whenever you last backed up the file. What do you mean "what backup file"? :eek:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    If you didnt change the password and you think it might be currupt then I doubt you'll beable to crack it.

Just put it down to experience and next time do two things
    1 backup your machine
    2 use a better (more relable) tool for encryption. If you use a standard (Blowfish,3DES/DES,CAST,GHOST,RC2/4/6,SERPENT,TWOFISH) then if you cant open the file with one program, you can download another program and open.
  • Options
    If it isnt v2.9 or later you can use

http://www.rarpasswordcracker.com/

for free (look near bottom)