Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

do we have the right

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do we have the right not to pay taxes, no one owns me, i don't think i shuld pay money to some fcks in whitehall so they can blow it on a pointless war or feed it back into the system only to be wasted, i know society wud collapse but it seems that in todays day and age we are born into handcuffs and constant surveillance, our lives are chosen for us by others, wat a crap generation to be a teenager.

Comments

• Options
    Re: do we have the right
    Originally posted by turlough
    wat a crap generation to be a teenager.
    a generation with everything imaginable. things my generation never dreamed of. health, education, technology ...all on scales never ever hoped or dreamed about for most people who ever lived. food from every corner of the planet ...fresh! masses and masses of cheap food on a scale never imagined! fast transport. comfort. luxury. information. entertainment.

oh sorry i didn't realize you were in a place with no electricity or fresh clean healthy water for miles around.

this great material technological stuff just aint working is it?

we have killed the spirit.

our young people are comitting suicide on a disturbing scale ...because we have to much of everything and not enough of ....

our young people are slashing and cutting themselves because ...

our young people are abusing alcohol and drugs on a scale never before seen.

what is it you want?
  • Options
    sorry morocon roll but my comment of this being a crap era to live in is not about quality of life, i am extremely grateful of things i have that my parents don't have, i'm saying POLITICALLY this is a crap era to live in
  • Options
    Turlough, have you bothered to think about what your taxes are used for ( the useful things)?

It's not feasable to pick and choose which services you require, and in turn, pay for.

I know that money from taxes is wasted on things, however, could you provide an alternative method of paying for the country you live in?
  • Options
    POLITICALLY this is a crap era to live in
    imagine being a 17yr old bank clerk in 1914 ...before your 18th birthday in 1915 ...you have been put in a mud trench and have seen thousands of your team die ...cut , shot, blown to little pieces ...ahh a rat ...we can eat today.
    you have personaly killed six hundred men at least ...becuase it was shit era politicaly to live in.

imagine your a succesful shop keeper ...you have just sent your daughter to university ...the next day your in a death camp becuase you happen to be jewish ...before you die ...you have no idea what has happened to your daughters, your wife ...your mother.
    all becuase it's a crap time to live politicaly.

what is it you fucking people want!!!
  • Options
    do we have the right not to pay taxes, no one owns me,

Welcome to the real world :)
  • Options
    do we have the right not to pay taxes, no one owns me, i don't think i shuld pay money to some fcks in whitehall so they can blow it on a pointless war or feed it back into the system only to be wasted, i know society wud collapse but it seems that in todays day and age we are born into handcuffs and constant surveillance, our lives are chosen for us by others, wat a crap generation to be a teenager.

Yes, taxation is theft.
  • Options
    Re: Re: do we have the right
    Originally posted by monocrat
    taxation is theft.

why?
  • Options

Don't worry, just wait for the May Day Protests to get it all out of your system with the other lazy unemployed ungrateful losers of this world. In the meantime you can rack your brain for a better system.
  • Options
    well, if you don't ever go to doctors, never went to school, don't use a car, don't use roads, don't live in a house, don't use energy, don't shop, don't call the police after a break in, don't watch tv and don't really exist, then no, why the hell should you have to pay tax?
  • Options
    I remember hearing about a woman who refused to pay 7% of her taxes, because 7% of government spending goes on defence, and she was against the war in iraq. I think she got away with it in the end too.

But on a more serious note, the general principles behind taxes are very necessary. We can't rely on the fact that everybody would go to the doctors when they were ill if there wasn't a free health service. Or that everyone would get an education if it wasn't free. Therefore we need the welfare state in that respect to stop epidemics of diseases and to make society literate enough to survive in the modern world. These are pretty essential features of modern life, and the only way to ensure them is to have an overseeing body (i.e. government) collect money from everybody to provide them.

Very obvious fact, but for me that helped to explain why we pay taxes.
  • Options
    sorry morocon roll but my comment of this being a crap era to live in is not about quality of life, i am extremely grateful of things i have that my parents don't have, i'm saying POLITICALLY this is a crap era to live in

You live in Ireland, yes?

Your government has given you and every other Irish citizen more personal freedoms over the past few decades. heck, it was illegal to DIVORCE someone twenty years ago; today it's not.

Think about that you have before you spout things.

And be grateful you didn't exist during the Potato Famine or some such. You'd have had more reason to state that you live in a 'politically crap' era. :cool:
  • Options
    Hows about zero tax and buying products and services as and when you need them? Seems to work quite well in the States...

"dont shop, dont live in a house"

Because the state pays for Tesco and my house? (I pay for electricity and water thorugh my bills, ta muchly)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Hows about zero tax and buying products and services as and when you need them? Seems to work quite well in the States...

What gave you the idea that American's pay not tax?
    "dont shop, dont live in a house"

Because the state pays for Tesco and my house? (I pay for electricity and water thorugh my bills, ta muchly)

Council tax for local services such as waste disposal?

Anyway do you really want to live in a society with no welfare state? Where people die because they can't afford medical treatment?
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    I remember hearing about a woman who refused to pay 7% of her taxes, because 7% of government spending goes on defence, and she was against the war in iraq. I think she got away with it in the end too.

But on a more serious note, the general principles behind taxes are very necessary. We can't rely on the fact that everybody would go to the doctors when they were ill if there wasn't a free health service. Or that everyone would get an education if it wasn't free. Therefore we need the welfare state in that respect to stop epidemics of diseases and to make society literate enough to survive in the modern world. These are pretty essential features of modern life, and the only way to ensure them is to have an overseeing body (i.e. government) collect money from everybody to provide them.

Very obvious fact, but for me that helped to explain why we pay taxes.

Aren't people responsible for themselves? Why need 'the state' to ensure 'equality'?

Taxation can be replaced by user fees to fund services.
  • Options
    Aren't people responsible for themselves? Why need 'the state' to ensure 'equality'?

it's not really about equality. we live in a society that pays taxes and not everyone is equal are they? it's about ensuring basic minimum provision.

supposing we had user fees for everything. not everybody would pay for these services. some would go without - either through choice or because they can't afford to - and therefore the whole of society would suffer as a result because of poor literacy rates or the spread of dieases. So, IMO, there is definitely a need for the state to provide basic services.

Having said that, I believe in people having the choice whether to have state funding or private funding in some areas. I admit to not knowing very much on this topic, but I know something about NI contributions being lower if you have a stakeholder pension (? am I right?). I think this is a step in the right direction.
  • Options

So long as you don't mind paying £400 return for a return train ticket to Edinburgh, £1 per mile driven on private roads, £1,000 for every night you have to spend in hospital, £50 a month from electricity companies to keep the streets lit, £50 a month from waste contractors to take the rubbish away, etc etc ad nauseam ad infinitum, then yes, let's get rid of taxes.

The funniest thing of all monocrat, is that unless you are Bill Gates in disguise or someone with a similar bank balance you would fall victim of your own anti-tax system and be depending on charities to survive within weeks. Unless you are happy to live in a cardboard box, bathe in the local river and never use public transport or go to the doctor, that is. Still, a small price to pay for living the dream of a tax-free existence eh?
  • Options

Depends what sort of society you want to live in. Personally I want to live in a society which looks after and protects its weaker members or people who are temporarily going through a bad patch. Its the mark of a civilised society IMO.
    You obviously don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Fair enough, but it can't make for a very fulfilling or happy life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What gave you the idea that American's pay not tax?

They pay *some* tax. Just a lot less because people pay for what they use.

Anyway do you really want to live in a society with no welfare state? Where people die because they can't afford medical treatment?

No, but I dont want to live in a society where I pay 40% of whatever I earn (once Ive included NI) and to see it wasted on the Millennium Dome, illegal wars, timewasting immigrants, counsillors expenses, more councillors expenses, some more councillors expenses, and a bit of corruption just to top it off.

Tax is theft unless it is spent correctly, and ALL politicians spend tax to line their own pockets.
  • Options

And is a fair and just society isn't it? :rolleyes:
    No, but I dont want to live in a society where I pay 40% of whatever I earn (once Ive included NI) and to see it wasted on the Millennium Dome, illegal wars, timewasting immigrants, counsillors expenses, more councillors expenses, some more councillors expenses, and a bit of corruption just to top it off.

Tax is theft unless it is spent correctly, and ALL politicians spend tax to line their own pockets.

I agree it could be spent better yes. But you would only pay 40% on what you earn over £34,515. I also agree that this tax bracket should be at a lower percentage and there should be a tax bracket above this one.
    But the actual idea itself is a sound one IMO.

Unless you're a Thatcherite (or right wing libertarian) and subscribe to the idea that "there is no such thing as society" :rolleyes:
  • Options

How do you come to this conclusion? Taxes at all levels (including state and federal levels) is approximately 46% of GDP. Hardly an 'undertaxed' nation.
  • Options

Ummm... taxes go to things like the NHS and the police. If you hate it that much then be vigilant if somebody breaks the law against you and if you come down with appendicitis, take it out yourself and sew it back closed with a needle and dental floss... 'cause that's what taxes go to m'dear...

Well apart from other shit, like ridiculous government buildings in cardiff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Depends what sort of society you want to live in. Personally I want to live in a society which looks after and protects its weaker members or people who are temporarily going through a bad patch. Its the mark of a civilised society IMO.

Not being a pussy about being offended is civilised (or more man like) IMO :D:lol:.
  • Options
    Not being a pussy about being offended is civilised (or more man like) IMO :D:lol:.

That had absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted :confused:
  • Options

:lol: I'd love to see you say that to somebody's face in a pub where I come from :lol:

I kinda agree... but you forgot to mention the time wasting police. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    :lol: I'd love to see you say that to somebody's face in a pub where I come from :lol:

innit
  • Options
    Honestly, we can't live in a society with no taxes, it's just something of the real world that we have to do, simple.
    our young people are abusing alcohol and drugs on a scale never before seen.

the sixities.....:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Honestly, we can't live in a society with no taxes, it's just something of the real world that we have to do, simple.

the sixities.....:confused:
    the massive rise in alcohol abuse didn't realy appear till the nineties. and the drugs of the sixties were not heroin and crack. apart from a few ...heroin was available on prescription then, so it didn't interest that many people ...it was 'controlled'. as soon as the tories stopped prescribing ...under pressure from the yanks, the inevitable happened. it became a problem but not until the 80's.
    pot smoking hippies smoking weed and dropping a trip at the weekend did not cause social problems. the way an ever increasing number of young people aproach and abuse alcohol is quite frightening.
  • Options
    The thing all you "low tax" advocates fail to realise is that you only see the bad stuff in the news because it is unusual. You don't have the news headlines going "School buys textbooks for every child *dong* Old woman has her hip replaced successfully and is recovering well *dong* Pothole on the M1 by Leicester fixed."

The fact is that for every mis-spent pound there is a lot more money that actually does the job it's meant to. Of course we should push for more value for money but the tax system remains the best way to fund essential projects we as a nation need. It benefits from economies of scale, democratic accountability, is responsive to changing circumstances and is a fair and equitable system of raising funds.

Edited to add that if we used the tax system to buy drugs for addicts not only could we guarantee addicts close access to treatment if they want it, we could also make sure their drugs of a top quality and not mixed with rat poison or something similar which is responsible for a significant amount of drugs related deaths, it would also bankrupt the dealers and drive them off the street and therefore lower the crime rate as drugs would be free on the NHS.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    You don't have the news headlines going "School buys textbooks for every child *dong* Old woman has her hip replaced successfully and is recovering well *dong* Pothole on the M1 by Leicester fixed."

hehe, that did make me giggle :lol: think it was the dongs!

true though!
  • Options
    One thing I read somewhere about smokers... they use about £1.5 billion on the NHS, but bring in about £8.5 billion in taxes. Um... no relevence I know.