Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How Important Is THe Truth To You?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I value the truth a heck of a lot, I've grown up in a family that tells a lot of little lies and really hate it so I value the truth greatly mainly cos at least when you know the truth - you know where you stand - good or bad.

I also love the fact you don't have to remember anything .. when you lie you have to remember the lie you told and there's always the danger of being caught out - but when you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

So What do you lot think about the truth - is it important to you - be it good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    I think people have different levels of the truth.

I prefer the truth, but sometimes it can be better to sweeten it up so it's easier to swallow and wont hurt as much (if it's the bad kind of Truth)
  • Options
    I remember once someone cooking something .. maybe my mum and I said I didn't like it .. and my cousin said you shoudl ahev said you liked it to save her feelings .. but I replied if I did that then she'd just keep on cooking it over and over agin .. wasting her time on something I didn't even like ...

Yeah you're right .. truth but told in a nice way
  • Options
    There's little white lies between family and friends that are more to protect someone's feelings etc and I think that's fine.

Then there's the kinda crap that you get told/not told in relationships, and that sucks. I'd rather someone be honest with me than keep messing me about :yeees:
  • Options
    It's absolutely essential to me. I'm inherently an incredibly suspicious person due to being let down in the past and stuff, so if I think someone is lying to me then I'll latch onto it and become all weird and stuff. So it's best that people don't let me catch on that they're lying. Or, more specifically, don't lie in the first place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    , so if I think someone is lying to me then I'll latch onto it and become all weird and stuff. So it's best that people don't let me catch on that they're lying. Or, more specifically, don't lie in the first place.

but maybe they are not lying and you are just being overly suspicious or even paranoid

i think that is a bad situation to be in, because no matter how much that person tells you they are being honest, you will think they are not....and it will escalate from there :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by snow*white
    but maybe they are not lying and you are just being overly suspicious or even paranoid

i think that is a bad situation to be in, because no matter how much that person tells you they are being honest, you will think they are not....and it will escalate from there :eek2:

No not really. If someone tells me something then I accept it. But if they are all weird about saying something then I assume there's a reason for that tbh. Like that they're generally trying to avoid saying something else, when tbh I'd prefer they just said.

Anyway I'm not as bad now as I have been in the past. Yah.
  • Options
    Originally posted by snow*white

:yes: and it usually all stems from an ex being such a wanker that you cant trust anyone else for a long time without getting suspicous! :rolleyes: Well, in my case anyway!
  • Options
    Truth. If I see it, then I say it. If I feel it, then I say it. If I like it, then I say it. If I don't like it - I'll say it.

The people around me, either respect me for it, or hate me because I'm too blunt and I speak my mind.
    There's a thin line between being truthful and being blunt, I don't mean to cross it, but I somehow do.
    If I'm truthfull to my friends, I expect the same in return.

I don't mind little white lies, to save someone from hurt, but full on blatant lies are rude and offensive. Simple As.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon

I don't mind little white lies, to save someone from hurt, but full on blatant lies are rude and offensive. Simple As.

Tbh most things start out as silly white lies and grow into huge great argument break-up causing lies. It's very rare that you'd just create a huge great lie first off. Otherwise you may as well be writing fiction and making a fortune.
  • Options
    Extremely important.

I've been lied to and had things kept from me by exes, friends and my family and it completely destroys your trust and faith in human beings.

I feel the truth should always come out - regardless of whether it will hurt or not - because the truth is needed for people to realise the true situation and to move on. Life can often be hard and you can wrap people in cotton wool - by saying it'll hurt someone by telling them, you're just scared of what the consequences will be for yourself.

Little white lies are pointless, we all tell them though, but never really think about what rammifications they could have. And they usually always do escalate into more, or the person thinks they can get away with big lies.

I believe in the end the truth is revealed some way or another, however, I wish people would be a little more considerate and take responsbility for their own actions by being truthful and not relying on deceit to get them by.
  • Options
    The truth is important.

What if someone has body odour or whatever and no-one will tell them about it? How are they going to do anything about it if no-one will tell them? It's offensive to be blunt, I agree, but anything's better than just being polite, which leads to them either

a) never doing anything about the problem, and wondering why people are acting funny

b) finding out what it is and being embarrassed because they realise all that time they've had the problem. They may also feel hurt that no-one told them the truth.

I suppose, having said that, in formal situations, you have to be polite to avoid causing offence. Telling someone who's interviewing you that their breath stinks for example is a pretty poor idea.

If you really don't want to/can't tell the truth though, the best thing is to say nothing. At least it doesn't fuck them up like lying does.
  • Options
    I think you have to know when the truth and blatant honesty is needed. I hear a lot of chinese whispers and bullshit where i live as it's a small village and everyone knows everyone elses business. This in itself doesn't bother me, it's the backstabbing and lying that does. I'm a firm believer in if you've said something own up to it and don't lie.

I favour the truth i have to say but sometimes some things need to be kept quiet for other people's sake. There's a time and a place for everything and you get to learn when is the right time for some brutal honesty. I don't have much time for liars or bullshit artists especially in relationships or friendships.
  • Options
    The truth... Whats that?
  • Options
    Hey STRESSED I sent you a PM and posted a notice up for you in Anything Goes