Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can't eat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just can't eat at the moment, i haven't eaten anything for nearly 3 days i just can't face it. I haven't taken any drugs by the way. I just can't eat. i'm starting to wonder how long this will last. How can you force yourself to eat when the thought just makes u want to vomit :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to speak to a doctor. Its not healthy to not eat for so long. I wouldn't force yourself to eat without speaking to a doctor but make sure you keep drinking. Maybe trying to drink energy drinks would help.
    my doctor told me that if you don't feel hungry, you shouldn't force yourself to eat, cauuse you'll probably just end up being sick, which is more damaging than not eating.

try to eat plain, bland things like toast, crakcers or boiled rice. if you really can't face them, just try to drink a lot of sugary drinks, like fruit juice and squash. don't exert yourself too much - remember your body has no fuel. and if you still don't feel like eating in a couple of days, see your doctor.

my body does this ALL the time. it's doing it at the moment. I have IBS, and apparently having no appetite means that something has upset my digestive tract, and it needs a break from food.
    Re: Can't eat
    Originally posted by Charlie'dAngel
    I just can't eat at the moment, i haven't eaten anything for nearly 3 days i just can't face it. I haven't taken any drugs by the way. I just can't eat. i'm starting to wonder how long this will last. How can you force yourself to eat when the thought just makes u want to vomit :(

Ive been thinking about this today because ive had this same type of problem before and I think im heading down that road again. Although its only since last night I havent really eaten. Today all I have had is a slice of toast and a bag of crisps which is bloody stupid of me, I know but I just dont want to eat. Im drinking plenty of fluids and have not got a problem with that.

Anyway im thinking its my way of being in control, I can control what I eat and when I eat. I dont need to justify my eating pattern to anyone, if I want to eat I do........end off. Although I have not got major problems like some people here my problem is more stress as theres a few problems I have and its just been a stressful time for me.

If you go back to last weekend I was stuffing my face all day and here I am this weekend and just dont want it. So I will have to try and eat and tomorrow I am going to try and start eating little amounts often. That way I dont see a full plate of food and just push it away. Id reccomend you do the same, just try eating small amounts often. You may have to initially make yourself eat but once you get back into the pattern of eating again it should be much easier to just eat, then get back to normal again.
    Charlie'dAngel, i noticed in your posts your a bit down because of someone leaving you to go to a different country. is that the reason you don't have an appetite?
    Originally posted by lipsy
    Charlie'dAngel, i noticed in your posts your a bit down because of someone leaving you to go to a different country. is that the reason you don't have an appetite?

I get like that if I'm upset about something. Whereas a lot of people comfort eat I do the opposite, eating is the last thing I feel like doing when I'm all upset or stressed.
    Originally posted by lipsy

:(

Yes i think that probably has alot to do with it, i am quite unhappy at the moment. I do always have a bit of a crazy eating pattern, sometimes i can't stop eating and sometimes i can't eat, but i'm not usually this affected.

Still can't eat by the way

:banghead:
    Originally posted by Faith
    I get like that if I'm upset about something. Whereas a lot of people comfort eat I do the opposite, eating is the last thing I feel like doing when I'm all upset or stressed.

:yes:

i have been pretty stressed too, bit of an emotional wreck at he moment really
    Hi there

Like the others have said, small meals often is the way forward

Try some plain toast or some fruit.

Often when you have no appetitite one of the major problems with getting you to eat again is that you just don't know what you want, so preparing something to eat can be near impossible. Try something easy like heating up a tin of soup, spaghetti or beans with bread/ toast. It doesn't matter if you eat it all, just a few spoons will be a start.

If by the end of today you still have no appetite i would go to your GP, or call NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47
    www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk

Susie :)
    Re: Can't eat
    Originally posted by Charlie'dAngel
    I just can't eat at the moment,

Hows it going?

Ive been very good this week, made myself at and now I seem to be eating very well. I actually went shopping today and whilst we were out had a cooked brekkie :)