Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

david Blaine's Latest stunt in london

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So the guy's in London for his latest stunt 44 days of starvation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/uk/newsid_3084000/3084036.stm

So do you recon he's really starving or it's some big trick and he's sneaking in food somehow?

I recon maybe he's using sugar water or something to give him energy..

What do you think?

_39303548_blaine_inf300.gif

Comments

• Options
    there have been so many piss takes of this in the papers and on the radios - i'm enjoying those more than the stunt :)

I didn't realise he got books and lip balms and stuff too!
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    there have been so many piss takes of this in the papers and on the radios - i'm enjoying those more than the stunt :)

I didn't realise he got books and lip balms and stuff too!

Maybe the books are made out of rice paper and he's gonna eat them!! Rice is loaded with carbs!!
  • Options
    It's feasible, yet I can't help but feel there's got to be some trickery involved. After all, he is an illusionist.
    If it's all genuine, then he's totally bonkers.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    i think its genuine. besides, even if he did have something to eat, he would be eating live on television and everyone would know he was a fake. i think he's clever.

(by the way, is he gay or bisexual? because on sky last night he kissed this guy and then it said his partner was there, but i didnt see a woman. on the 'frozen in time' one his girlfriend was there but i didnt see her there this time)
  • Options
    Anyone read the Daily Mail? There was an article in the paper about this, which said that it's actually not as big a feat as it sounds. The longest ever hunger strike was 70 days I think, and during some Irish hunger strike (sorry, don't know any more details) the average length the prisoners went without food was 55 days. Apparenly doctors reckon that 44 days is pretty do-able, as long as he's fit and healthy, and especially as he's getting water. The sugar-water theory is interesting though.

Is he allowed to read and stuff, then? Aww I thought he was just going to be stuck up there doing nothing!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    Um ...

the body can survive on water alone for 44 days easily

it's not exactly gunna be hard for him

Well there is a risk of him dying or becoming brain damaged! now that really does sound easy!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXx~Lizzy~xXx
    i think its genuine. besides, even if he did have something to eat, he would be eating live on television and everyone would know he was a fake. i think he's clever.

(by the way, is he gay or bisexual? because on sky last night he kissed this guy and then it said his partner was there, but i didnt see a woman. on the 'frozen in time' one his girlfriend was there but i didnt see her there this time)

If you look on the web it says the live feed is delayed by 10 minutes .. enough time to sneak in a few mars bars and stuff ... I won't be surprised if he's put on weight when he comes out!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    If you look on the web it says the live feed is delayed by 10 minutes .. enough time to sneak in a few mars bars and stuff ... I won't be surprised if he's put on weight when he comes out!!

lol, fair enough. i think the "street magic" programme was pretty good though.:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXx~Lizzy~xXx
    lol, fair enough. i think the "street magic" programme was pretty good though.:)

well it appeared to be good but I saw something onthe web or somewhere - where the tricks of his went wrong andno one was amazed or they could see how he leviatted or something - he just did t a 100 times and they only included the ones where te peple were really dumb and fell for it.

He also makes the fly come to life by chilling it in dry ice and then it falls alseep and then when it warm sin his hands it comes back to life!!
  • Options
    He also makes the fly come to life by chilling it in dry ice and then it falls alseep and then when it warm sin his hands it comes back to life!!

He has done that with pigeons and cats as well. Im surprised he hasnt been done for animal cruelty :mad:
  • Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/09/04/uk.blaine/

That's quite interesting, apparently the Guinness book of records rejected this stunt as he's not doing anything new...
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    He has done that with pigeons and cats as well. Im surprised he hasnt been done for animal cruelty :mad:

lol, good point
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/09/04/uk.blaine/

That's quite interesting, apparently the Guinness book of records rejected this stunt as he's not doing anything new...

It isnt that, hes not doing it for long enough coz the guy in a barrell done 70 days
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I meant, sorry.
  • Options
    i think if he wasnt such a high profile person he would try and start a cult. i would explain it, but too tired right now. if i can be bothered i may post my full reasons after sleeping.
  • Options
    I think that he's a bit loopy. And that he will really smell.
  • Options
    The man really drives me mad - :impissed:

Does anyone remember when he was interviewed on GMTV or some other breakfast TV by Eamon Holmes and he just sat there and stared at him and said nothing and never replied to any of his questions. Holmesey was very unnerved :nervous:
  • Options
    pah. not impressed.

it is perfectly easy to go without food for 44 days. take my word for it. especially considering the amount of weight he's put on recently. anyone notice that?

it's also easier than you might think to stand inside an ice block. he wasn't actually touching the ice, so it would have had an insulating effect, of sorts. like igloos.

the guy doesn't impress me. yeah, some of his card tricks are quite good, but the rest is so obviously hyped up and staged....
  • Options
    Originally posted by themole
    The man really drives me mad - :impissed:

Does anyone remember when he was interviewed on GMTV or some other breakfast TV by Eamon Holmes and he just sat there and stared at him and said nothing and never replied to any of his questions. Holmesey was very unnerved :nervous:

lmao, poor old eamon. did you watch sky one the night he started this whole in-box-for-44-days thing? he did almost the exact same thing to nicky something (sorry, cant remember his last name - does watchdog) and just gave him one-word answers
  • Options
    I thought it was interesting but now i read this thread i think it's a load of rubbish, I didn't realise you could go for 44 days without food.
  • Options
    I bloody couldn't go for 44 days without food! Have you seen the advert where they say that after so many days with no food your body starts eating it's own organs or something?

Even if it is a trick.....can you imagine sitting in a box for 44 days on your own with nothing to do even if you did have food?! I still think he a crazy crazy man :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Even if it is a trick.....can you imagine sitting in a box for 44 days on your own with nothing to do even if you did have food?! I still think he a crazy crazy man :eek2:

it wouldn't be fun, but the guy likes to make out like he's superhuman, when in reality, he's not.

i wouldn't do it either, but the thing is that i could, if i wanted to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jellygirl
    I thought it was interesting but now i read this thread i think it's a load of rubbish, I didn't realise you could go for 44 days without food.

I thought you were a Nurse??

See, now you don't have to feel guilty when you're late with their meals .. just tell them if David Blaine can go 44 days without food they can wait a bit longer for their meals!!

.. Whatever we think of this guy - he's a become a millionaire doing his little tricks and I'm guessing most of us here ain't!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

.. Whatever we think of this guy - he's a become a millionaire doing his little tricks and I'm guessing most of us here ain't!!

give me 5 years :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    give me 5 years :p

Now who's that other famous clothes desginer with pink hair ....?
  • Options
    I wonder how many people will be cruel enough to stand out there at 1am with kebabs and scoff the lot in front of him? :naughty:
  • Options
    I think it's a shame. There are countless homeless people around the world who would kill for clean water a place to sleep out of the weather sanitation and hell even a nice view....

this ain't magic, it's just a guy in a box
  • Options
    It a Damn Shame David Blaine didn't do something to raise money for people who are starving in the world - even if it was just having a loose change collection under the crane that's holding him up - I'm sure over the next 44 days they'd collect a alot of money.

They just showed his Vertigo stunt where he stood on top of a huge pole for 35 hours and then jumped form the top into a pile of boxes.

I think the guy's appeal is that he's so ordinary and he does things that aren't that clever - it's just a case of having the guts to do it.

The Vertigo thing I just saw was terrifying to me ... and they didn't construct the boxes fo rhim to land in until the end of the 35 hours so if he lost his balance he'd have fallen to his death.

I'm not overly impressed with the London stunt - but the vertigo one is something I'd never do.

aab.thumb.jpg

http://abc.go.com/primetime/specials/blaine/images/vertigo_chart.gif

http://abc.go.com/primetime/specials/blaine/index.html
  • Options
    he's the most tedious man alive, he talks like a retard which makes me believe he was dropped on the head as a child.

his card tricks are pretty good but they're all just misdirection like 90% of his tricks... these big 'feats' are usually just him stood about. yay, standing, 'magic' :rolleyes:

but yeah his latest trick is crap, he put on a load of weight recently, it MAY have something to do with the fact he's being trapped in a glass box with no food for 40 odd days... i dunno :rolleyes:

he's not a magician as he's not magic, he does illusions and crap party tricks and he's not even ENTERTAINING which is the FIRST thing he should be, if you're gonna go out and sohw people tricks you've gotta have a little thing called a 'personality' seems to me like he's been lobotomised, even Paul Daniels was entertaining......

and then again there are better illusionists about, try Penn and Teller for all your 'magic' needs including being shot in the face with a mangum.
  • Options
    "Bookmakers William Hill believe the illusionist is an odds-on hot favourite to complete his 44-day ordeal but the Guinness Book of Records has rejected his stunt as it does not encourage starvation record attempts."
    http://entertainment.nzoom.com/entertainment_detail/0,1846,219171-129-134,00.html

But I just heard on the radio that you can get three to one on David Blaine failing at the bookmakers.

Eggs, bottles and golf balls have been thrown at him so far. He's not very popular.