Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

long distance relationships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
wot do u thk of thm? do u thk thy work?

my bf lives in england and i live in scotland and we have been 2gether for bout 6 months and see each other as much as pos and tlk everyday and i love him 2 bits.

but do u thk it will last?

Comments

• Options
    It depends if you both stay committed to it, and how often you can see each other. and whether you view the long-distanceness as temporary or permanent.

I have been in a long term relationship for a good few years now. But until now, I've only seen it as temporary. We both come from the same town, but went to different unis. We saw our time at uni as temporary and afterwards we'd both be able to be together properly.

But now, neither of us is sure where we're going after uni any more. And the time has come where we are going to have to end the relationship just because we don't know how often we're going to see each other.

So, in answer to your question, they can work - but only if you can see an end to being so far apart. Otherwise, I'm afraid, in my opinion, they don't work.

Anyway, hope all works out for you :)

Oh, and a friendly tip - don't use text talk in your posts, it annoys most people here, and you'll find people don't take your posts seriously if you use it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat

So, in answer to your question, they can work - but only if you can see an end to being so far apart. Otherwise, I'm afraid, in my opinion, they don't work.

i agree.

they work, for a time, but ultimately one of the other person will get pissed off with always being so far away.

and so one of two things happen:

one moves to be with/nearer the other

or you break up.

just my opinion though.
  • Options
    sorry its just a bad habit

me and bf have discussed moving together after we have both finished college and we do try to see each other as much as possible.

but i suppose all we can do is just see how things go.
  • Options
    i have a best friend who lives in arizona and her sister was on holiday in england a few years ago and met a guy...they didnt think a long distance relationship would work but they both decided it was worth the effort...he now lives in phoenix and they are getting married next november...
    i think it just all depends on whether you can see yourself spending your life with them...if not whats the point in continuing it?
  • Options
    You sound like you really like this guy :)

To be honest long distance relationships have never worked for me, but then again I must admit sometimes I haven't put the effort in because they live so far away. If you and him can both put the effort in, then what's to stop you. You make your own relationship. Of course, if you're starting to feel negative thoughts because of the distance (like you can't have other guys because...) then perhaps it's not going to work. But then again you haven't had those thoughts from what I've read.

The best of luck to ya :) Rich x
  • Options
    Re: long distance relationships
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*

but do u thk it will last?

Only you can answer that tbh.

It will last if you both want it too.
  • Options
    Re: Re: long distance relationships
    Originally posted by Mist
    It will last if you both want it too.

To.

[/pedant]

:p
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: long distance relationships
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    To.

[/pedant]

:p

:(
  • Options
    i really want it too work and i do love him so much and he says he loves me, which i think is the main thing.

he is totally different from other guys i have been with and i dont have any feelings of wanting any other guy.

do you get wot i mean?