Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Applying for graduate jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just about to start the final year of a languages degree so I'm really starting to think about careers now. Trouble is, I have no idea what to go for!

What I'm really interested in is working with current affairs and politics somehow. I'm applying to the Civil Service already, but it's a one in a million chance of getting in, and obviously I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I want to apply for as many positions as possible.

To anyone, who's done the graduate job finding thing, how did you go about it? How did you find out what's available and where? I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the careers department next year, but I want to get the ball rolling now, while I've got nothing else to do.

I'd love to work for a big media company like the BBC, behind the scenes like. But their vacancies all expect you to have about 3 years' media experience.

So, um, yeah. I need more ideas :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Applying for graduate jobs
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    To anyone, who's done the graduate job finding thing, how did you go about it? How did you find out what's available and where?

Trawl through 1000s of websites and newspapers!
    I did a languages degree too. I didn't apply for any jobs during my course though, I waited til I'd left. Mainly because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I ended up temping for a year then got a 'proper' job.

Have you spoken to the careers guidance people at your uni? I did once and was surprised to find they were really useful! Good luck.
    Visit Prospects.ac.uk - they offer email advice, industry profiles and a whole lot more for students and graduates.

Susie :)
    Good advice about your uni careers service. I'd been at uni for 4 years and graduated before I went. Wish I'd gone sooner really. I finished this year and I'm temping while I find something 'more better' in the form of a grad job or maybe a PhD if I can get funding.
    Do some unpaid work experience in your holidays - companies love that! Just write to whoever you want experience with & tell them that you're interested in whatever career & you'd really like some experience with them (in other words, suck up!)