Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

question about the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive been on the pill for about 2 weeks and i go on holiday very soon but while im on holiday i finish my current pill pack and im due on half way through the holiday! is it safe to double up on the pill at this time? and do u take the whole course or just a few tablets? and how much bleeding will there be after

Comments

• Options
    Hmm. Since you've only just started the pill, I reckon prolonging your cycle (i.e. starting another pack) would fuck you up even more - I mean, at first the Pill tends to mess with your body because it changes the balance of your hormones.

I think you need to chat to your doctor, I might be wrong, but personally I'd just finish the pack and put up with being on, rather than fuck my body up for a while :S

Somebody back me up or correct me!!
  • Options
    Na you'll be fine, i did this and i was ok. But take the whole pack, i mader the mistake of just taking a few in certen packs and coming on when i could be bothered....dnt do that, its not a good idea it means your not covered.
  • Options
    its ok 2 take a 2nd packet after another 1 coz it doesnt do nethg 2 ur body, and if ur body cycle gets messed up thn it sorts its self out quickly, so its ok 2 do it
  • Options
    Butttt...

She's only just started the pill, like 2 weeks ago?! Do you reckon that its really that good an idea to start messing about straight away?! :S Just my thoughts...

Edited to say - I'm on the pill, and I'm fully aware that you can take one pack after another and it doesn't harm you. I just don't think it's a good idea to do it as soon as you start taking the pill.

PrettyGreenEyes - ask your doctor, or phone up NHS Direct?!
  • Options
    I really really really really hope you can take the second packet straight after your first packet because i did this because i forgot one pill a couple of days before i finished my first packet, so i went straight onto my second packet and have been having sex quite alot recently so i really hope it's ok. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

edited to say i'm only 15 aswell :nervous:
  • Options
    GG ur covered dnt worry
  • Options
    u 100% sure??
  • Options
    yea
  • Options
    i'm glad your so sure..cos i'm not.
  • Options
    Read through your leaflet thing, and if ur still not sure call up that NHS thingy and ask them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    you don't have to finish the entire packet either..

No No! you do! see thats what i fort, but i got told by the clinic lady that by doing that i wasnt covered!
  • Options
    BA! go ask the lady/guy at the clinic if you are really worried about it. But tell us what she says bout this cos we really need to settle this.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    ]]

you don't.. as long as you've taken all of the first pack properly you could take as little as another 3 pills out of the next pack and be fine

Woah there, apart from the fact that if you do this you won't be protected from getting pregnant, there are lots of reasons this is a bad idea.

PRETTYgreenEYES - as you've just started on the pill it would be advisable just to talk to your GP about this, your body will be adapting to the pill and your doctor may have some good advice for you. If you'd rather not go back to your GP you can call FPA on 0845 3101334 and they'll talk you through everything.

Hope this helps,
    CB
  • Options
    Originally posted by ClaireBear

PRETTYgreenEYES - as you've just started on the pill it would be advisable just to talk to your GP about this, your body will be adapting to the pill and your doctor may have some good advice for you. If you'd rather not go back to your GP you can call FPA on 0845 3101334 and they'll talk you through everything.

Cheers CB :D
  • Options

you don't.. as long as you've taken all of the first pack properly you could take as little as another 3 pills out of the next pack and be fine

:eek:

you're supposed to take ALL the pills from one pack before either having a break, or moving on to the next pack.

that's why they give you them in those little 3 weeks packs.

listen to the clairebear. :yes:
  • Options
    From now on I'm going to stop trusting when they say "Its ok I'm on the pill" you lot dont even read the instructions!
    :eek: :crazyeyes :eek2:
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    OK you've all taken what I've said SOOO wrong

What i meant was that aslong as you've taken the all the pills from the first packet.. you dont need to take ALL the pills from the next packet if you're just carrying on.. ie not having a break..

jesus christ ffs

No! Stop right there.

If you're on the pill don't take all the pills in a packet, irrespective of whether you stopped for seven days or went straight onto the next packet you will NOT be protected from pregnancy.

Please read the instructions that come with your pill, please follow them and if you're in any confusion about anything go see your GP or contact FPA.

CB
  • Options
    Told ya so:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by ClaireBear

If you're on the pill don't take all the pills in a packet, irrespective of whether you stopped for seven days or went straight onto the next packet you will NOT be protected from pregnancy.

yup.

yes you have to take all the pills in the first packet.

you also have to take all the pills in the second packet, and third, and fourth and ALL.

you take breaks between packets. but never take a break in the middle of a packet.
  • Options
    *beats head off the desk*

how do i need to say this.. I know you need to all the pills from every packet.. but the issue is about carrying on taking pills without a break.. to post pone a period etc.. my point is that as long as you've taken all the pills from the current packet you dont need to take all the pills from the next packet if you're not having a break.. so if you're carrying on taking pills from the next packet without having the break u dont need to.. but when have the break you'd go back to taking all the pills* again

we know.

you're wrong though.

if you're not taking a break, you take two FULL packets, one after another.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

do what you want, tbh.

but don't say we didn't warn you if you get pregnant.
  • Options
    Rachie, with the majority of pills, doing what you say will postpone your period BUT when you take your break, you won't be covered against pregnancy. If that's what you mean, then yes, you're right. But if you're saying you can just take a few pills and then you'll still be covered for that break then no, that's not right as far as I know. Maybe what you're saying is right for your particular pill but it's really not for most pills, so everyone's just trying to make sure people don't take your advice word for word in case it doesn't apply to them. No one's trying to insult you but someone might read your advice and think they're covered when they're not.

The lesson to us all is read the instructions, not all pills are the same!
  • Options
    well lol thanks for all your help i think ill just let my period come because its the 4th days of my holiday i would just need to wear tampons for swimming? am i still covered against pregnancy though?
  • Options
    If you've taken all the pills in your packet as it says in the instructions, then you should be covered during your break as well.

BUT surely you can check this in your leaflet? I wouldn't rely on information you get on discussion boards if I were you! What pill are you on?
  • Options
    i've been talking about this to my boyfriend and we've been looking on the internet about the pill and if it's safe to take the second packet straight after the first one, and it seems like its safe, but just incase i'm gonna take a pregnancy test just to be on the safe side. :nervous:
  • Options
    im on microgynon 30 (combined pill)
    the thing is i never take it at the exact same time and i didnt take wednesdays pill i was 1 hour 5 ins l8 so i had to take wednesday and thursdays pill at the same time does it matter if u take the pills at different times eg: monday 8:50 tuesday: 10:30
  • Options
    Prettygreeneyes; if I were you, I'd reread the Microgynon leaflet, or I would go back to where you were prescribed the pill, and have a good chat with the doctor/nurse there, because that way you'll be sure of what you should and shouldn't do - going onto an internet forum can provide a lot of good advice, but, you can get so many replies with conflicting information. I really think it would be a good idea.

For the pill to be most effective, it has to be taken properly, and ideally, it would be at the same time every day. This allows steady levels of the hormones to be in your body over the 24 hour period between taking pills (netdoctor does an SMS service which reminds you when you need to take it if you are forgetful). This, and all the other questions you have asked will be in the leaflet provided with the pills.

But to be honest, I really would go back to the place where they prescribed it to you and have another talk with them, and until you've got used to taking it properly, and are confident with the pill, I'd use condoms as a back up method alongside it.
  • Options
    Microgynon 30 comes with a pretty comprehensive leaflet which should tell you all this, or there's the schering website somewhere (the company who make the pills).

I always take my pills before bed, which obviously varies within a few hours each night. It's better to take them at roughly the same time each day - irregular pill-taking can cause spotting or light bleeding, apparently. It's not harmful to take them at slightly different times, though, just easier to keep track of them if you take them at the same time each day. But an hour and five minutes difference between one day and the next is nothing to worry about.

grunge girl - I really don't think you have anything to worry about. As long as you take the whole first packet and the whole second packet correctly, you'll be protected, you just won't have a period.
  • Options
    honestly taking 2 packets 1 after another is ok even if uve just started to take the pill, it wont do any harm coz the pill only contains a small ammount of hormones.

im on the Microgynon 30 to and i had to take 1 packed after another once and i hadnt long started takin the pill and it was ok.

but all u have to do is read the leaflet in the box (i also got a leavelet from the doctor when i went to see bout goin on the pill and i found that very useful too)
  • Options
    but its what was relevent to my particular make of pill.. so don't say I'm wrong

What make was that then? :eek2: