Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The politics forum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've noticed that on this forum most of the regular posters tend to be mainly male.

On recent posts about this forum, I noticed quite a few female posters, who I think of as good debaters on other topics, stating that they didn't feel they could contribute to 'Politics' for various reasons.

Do the females on here genuinely not feel confident of their Political/Current Affairs knowledge to contribute or are they just not interested in these things.

I have to say that not every guy on there is an expert but many still like to contribute regularly.

It does concern me that nearly 90 years after getting the vote, women can still feel excluded from a forum with no barriers whatsoever and contribute. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I don't feel excluded, I just have no interest in arguing with people online about differing opinions. Gets a bit too heated in there for me, I come online to cure boredom not get into arguments.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    I don't feel excluded, I just have no interest in arguing with people online about differing opinions. Gets a bit too heated in there for me, I come online to cure boredom not get into arguments.

OK but would you contribute if it was less heated?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    OK but would you contribute if it was less heated?

Maybe, if there was something i felt strongly about and I didn't have to read through pages and pages of people arguing with each other ;) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Maybe, if there was something i felt strongly about and I didn't have to read through pages and pages of people arguing with each other ;) :rolleyes:

Your too right it does tend to get shouty in there. I guess us guys do enjoy the that.

I do wonder sometimes though, my last workplace was evenly balanced between the sexes but it was rare to see a woman reading the papers regularly or discussing (not debating) the issues.
  • Options
    I dont post much on there as I tend to debate things with friends, andmost of my job is debating with people etc so I have enough seriousness out of here. For me here is purley for fun, but of advice and a time passer.....most of all its an escape. I rarely feel intimidated and on occasions that I may, I dont show it which helps you get over it. You only get treated like your intimidated if you act intimidated :D
  • Options
    you should feel intimidated in there ...one guy carries an ak 47 ...or was it a telefunken u47? but he's willing to shoot you!
  • Options
    i like arguing with people

but i cant be assed doin it on the net :no:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    you should feel intimidated in there ...one guy carries an ak 47 ...or was it a telefunken u47? but he's willing to shoot you!
    what? shoot me net style?
  • Options
    Part of the reason i don't contribute very often is as vicky said, the amount of crap you have to go through. So many pages and most of it is more arguing then debating. Also, i don't like how some people are treated, i mean fuck, we all have an opinion, RESPECT IT
  • Options

Have anything else to add? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I post in politics quite a lot, but I never feel that confident posting, probably because I don't have that much knowledge. I'm interested in current affairs and politics, but sometimes I don't post because I don't feel I have anything intelligent or relevant enough to say and because I feel intimidated sometimes.

Sometimes I feel people are quite condescending and pedantic towards me, maybe because I'm a girl....(and I'm younger...) I think once I even said "I'm used to people nit-picking....I'm a girl". I think because politics is traditionally male-dominated, women will always feel excluded to a certain degree.

I was just reading through the Thatcher thread and not only did she destroy our country, but she really let the side down for women. Whenever anyone thinks of a female PM or women in politics, I'm sure Thatcher is the first to come to mind.
  • Options
    I don't get what people are on and on about.

I am to my knowledge the youngest regular poster in there, a girl, and a foreigner who doesn't hold English as her first language.
    What is there to be afraid of? I really wouldn't like to think how people are in real life if they are too afraid to air their opinion on an internet board.
  • Options
    I never used to post in the politic forum and now I am finding that its one of the first places I check out, so if it can be addictive to me then theres hope for all the ones who used to be like me :D

My politics knowledge is pathetic to be honest. I know very little but you would be suprised at how much stuff im actually learning about. I think it was one of the best moves made to make the politic forum also a general debating forum because now when I go there I know that I can participate in things like Education, Crime etc etc. I get my voice heard ;)

Dont feel intimidated in that forum, give them as much as they give you. They arent that bad............really :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I think it was one of the best moves made to make the politic forum also a general debating forum because now when I go there I know that I can participate in things like Education, Crime etc etc. I get my voice heard ;)

I agree Becky. I think before they did that a lot of the topics were very technical, about the ins and outs of a certain person's policies or actions. Now there's a lot more general issues debated, and the topics are more often things you can have an opinion on without lots of historical or technical knowledge.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    What is there to be afraid of?

Because if your knowledge of politics is not very good then i suppose people would be afraid of getting out of their depth maybe?
    I just keep out of the stuff that I know nothing about, I also panic when someone puts me in the position where I have to get into a bid debate with lol
  • Options
    I actually debate more in real life - I think sometimes you can get your point across more effectively and coherently without worrying about spelling, grammar etc. I'm much more passionate in real life when talking about politics and current affairs etc.

Suppose people just have different amount of confidence and in different places and situations.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah, there are certain issues that appeal to me more than others as well. I'm trying to participate as much as I can because I think that forum is good preparation for interviews. It's good to see what other opinions exist about things. Sometimes I just like to read the posts in there without necessarily replying myself.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    Sometimes I just like to read the posts in there without necessarily replying myself.

Me too.

It's an interesting way to pass the time I find. And find out things.
  • Options
    I get lost in some of the debates, I have not got a clue what they are talking about. I sit here and think dare I post and say "what the hell you going on about" but then chicken out :lol:
  • Options
    I get lost in some of the debates, I have not got a clue what they are talking about. I sit here and think dare I post and say "what the hell you going on about" but then chicken out :lol:

:lol: Hehe...yeah me too. But then I just look it up on google, and then still don't understand!

Sometimes if I read something that annoys me or I really disagree with I really want to just write "Shut the fuck up, you moronic bastard" instead of writing something coherent and constructive but that's not allowed. ;)
  • Options
    i only post if it's a subject i know a lot about, or feel strongly about (which doesn't happen all that often).

i have opinions on a lot of things, but i'll only contribute if i feel that my knowledge of the subject is enough to back up my opinion.

i don't think there would be any point in me saying 'i think this, because i just do'.
  • Options
    I am a feamle and I am interestedin Poltiics and Current Affairs, therefore I have been in that forum and I have contributed to a number of threads on there although not to evry one i know, it depends on whether i know enough about the matter or not i think!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Have anything else to add? :rolleyes:
    are you stalking me? want a date? want a shag just say so.
  • Options
    I never used to post in the politic forum and now I am finding that its one of the first places I check out, so if it can be addictive to me then theres hope for all the ones who used to be like me :D

My politics knowledge is pathetic to be honest. I know very little but you would be suprised at how much stuff im actually learning about. I think it was one of the best moves made to make the politic forum also a general debating forum because now when I go there I know that I can participate in things like Education, Crime etc etc. I get my voice heard ;)

Dont feel intimidated in that forum, give them as much as they give you. They arent that bad............really :p
    you used the word education ...why? why are you belittling education. why do you think you have no voice? how dare you knock education. why did you bring the topic of education up when it wasn't called for. you anti american anti semite idiot!.
    just to save jacq the time you understand ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

Sometimes if I read something that annoys me or I really disagree with I really want to just write "Shut the fuck up, you moronic bastard" instead of writing something coherent and constructive but that's not allowed. ;) [/B]

:lol::lol:

You are very diplomatic when you reply, a lot less hot headed than myself :D

Mr Roll I had a bad education because of my gob. Always in bother for talking, didnt listen and didnt do what I was told. I still haven't changed have I :lol:
  • Options
    :lol::lol:

You are very diplomatic when you reply, a lot less hot headed than myself :D

Mr Roll I had a bad education because of my gob. Always in bother for talking, didnt listen and didnt do what I was told. I still haven't changed have I :lol:
    you've done it again you silly sod! you used the word education ...jaqc will be after shagging you now.
  • Options
    jaqc will be after shagging you now.

When she sees my pic she wil soon change her mind :lol:
  • Options
    When she sees my pic she wil soon change her mind :lol:
    even if she sees mine she'll still want to

stab me!
  • Options
    i'ad go there but aht atonc eale dme th aone guy an tis tlewa sgubad, bucz eua esi' aposicitlcw m ajore adn i wnkowa blot about it, bwhi people don tkow tbut i eoow belots bout aoir have ahev epoepingsk but i'm y opaints oare diferent that ontehrser an tehy teht yare fucks aseoles taher and ties poitnslerse foring a tifdfferent aopinon.