Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Help Needed With Car Stuff (MOT)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,
My car is due for it's first MOT while I've had it in a week and I'm not really too sure how to go about getting it done.

It's (obviously) the first MOT test I've had to take my car to so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I saw an ad for full service & MOT for about 90 pounds today, is this a good deal?
How long do you have to book the MOT in advance?

Comments

• Options
    You should really go to a garage that a friend has recommended. I wouldn't like to go somewhere that I have never heard of. You probably should book it at least a week in advance.
  • Options
    It all depends on the age and condition of your car - mine had it's first MOT this year but since I don't drive many miles and got it from new it's like a new car anyway .. needed nothign done to pass.

If you're confident about your car's condition then just get the MOT - probabaly doesn't even need a servicing.

The MOT is a good money spinner for a lot of garages they'll almost always try and find something wrong with the car that needs fixing or improving - like saying your brakes are getting thin, etc. when they might have a few thousand miles left on them.
  • Options
    You need to get an MOT yearly after the first three years of a car's registration. So, make sure you get the MOT booked before your year runs out. If you get pulled over by the police for faulty brake lights or something, and you don't have an valid MOT certificate you can get fined. Although, if you are on your way to a prearranged booking for repairs this can be ok on occassions. Go with a reputable company as well, the AA, RAC or somewhere similar, if you don't feel confident about your knowledge of cars, there will be less chance of you getting ripped off.
  • Options
    TBH 90 quid is a lot. You shouldn't be paying more than around 30. Edited cos i didnt read that this was a service as well. Depends what is included in the service then.

Normally you can get an MOT and then if there is just minor stuff wrong they will let you fix it and stuff.

Otherwise you have the option of

get it serviced first then go for the MOT and it should pass otherwise the service was shit but that's no grate consolation.

get it MOTd first and if it fails get it serviced.
  • Options
    I go with one that the RAC reccomends....LEX Autocentres I think it is. You get Tesco Clubcard points too lol But seriously they usually have an offer for MOT & Service. Thankfully my cars new so I don't have to worry about this anymore, well not for 3 years yet :D
  • Options
    Thanks guys, much appreciated :)
  • Options
    90 quid is fucking outragous!
    make sure your tyres are good. your wipers. your brakes ...and handbrake. washer bottle full and working ...all lights working. no holes in exhaust. put a new air filter in ...or if the cars old and you think the emiisions test might be to much for it ...take the air filter out temporarily. no holes in chassis. no dangerous body work. legal spare tyre. if your spare is bald remove it ...they can fail your car if the spare is dodgy but can't fail it for not having one. i've probably missed some points but the things i have mentioned are all easily checked beforehand.
  • Options
    oh yeah ...an mot shouldn't realy be more than 25 quid ...ask about grace period. if it fails some garages give you up to a week to put the faults right and then retest without further charge.
  • Options
    the aa are a rip off! the most expensive insurance qoutes etc.
  • Options
    Make sure is a free re-test garage, some are not so if it fails at a one thats not you will have to pay again :)
  • Options
    Andy I take it it was Canterbury street that you saw that offer at. I can't remember what my last mot cost (oops I was only 4 months late with it as well) was about £30 though. Andy you should be servicing your car every 9,000 miles or whaever it says in your service book. Most of the time this doesn't coincide with your mot but garages tend to offer both to rip ya off.

Just phone them up and ask to book it in for an mot whenever you want it to be done.
  • Options
    Karen, yeah it was Canterbury Street I saw that - I know they're good from when you used to take your car there.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow probably and book it in.

Thanks again for help :)
  • Options
    I'd advice if possible take it down during the week. They're getting a little sloppy with Saturday repairs etc cos they're rushed off their feet. But then it varies, some week days they are to. Oh and they are starting to put their prices up for folk they don't know (poor Carl hehe). I'm thinking about changing garages I use tbh just had a few times I aint been impressed, but who knows. it's not like my cars going in much from now on since it'll hardly be used. :)