Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What Do You really think of Politicians?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think that despiite their often overflowing acedemic achievements - most are basically thick as a plank of wood and have no problem telling the most pathetic lies so justify their latest taxes.

For instance the government want to introduce conjestion charging in the sky and charge people for flying during peak hours of the day in order to help the envirnoment. The reckon they could raise an extra £800 Million per year .. of course it's you the airline traveller that will be paying this money.

They also say they keep hiking up petrol tax to benefit the environment - but only a fraction of that money is ever used for that purpose.

And so called groups like the Green Party don't seem to do very much in terms of tracking where this huge stash of cash for the environment goes..

Comments

• Options
    Re: What Do You really think of Politicians?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    They also say they keep hiking up petrol tax to benefit the environment - but only a fraction of that money is ever used for that purpose.

It helps the environment by discouraging people from driving because of the price. This will never work because people still need to get places and public transport is too expensive.
  • Options
    Re: Re: What Do You really think of Politicians?
    Originally posted by *raver*
    It helps the environment by discouraging people from driving because of the price. This will never work because people still need to get places and public transport is too expensive.

Well your first sentence is what they want us to believe but the 2nd is the truth of the matter.

personally they claim traffic jams costs the country hundreds of millions every year - so why not make the buses free. People would certainly be able to get walk on a bus without the usuall fumbling for change, etc so the whole system would move a lot faster and people would be more inclined to walk shorter journeys know if a bus happene dto come by they could just jump onboard rather then pay £1 a time. Also in this country we don't have a bus transfer system. Quite often 1 bus isn't enough to take you all the way you want to go - in countries like Canada you have a transfer slip to catch a 2nd bus that will take you al the way to your destination.
  • Options
    honestly you should cut some of them some slack. Its because of the media bringing out everything bad afew major polititions do. There are many many backbench MPs, who do wonders for their constituents.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    honestly you should cut some of them some slack. Its because of the media bringing out everything bad afew major polititions do. There are many many backbench MPs, who do wonders for their constituents.

I'm sure you're right about the back benchers - but it's the ones wil the real power that i think make bad mistakes.

And perhaps the backbenchers are too scared to vote against their own party.

Do they have secret voting on major issues or a show of hands? I think at least if votes were secret then people would vote more honestly. Also do you ever watch the parliment channel? All most politicians do is argue against anything the other parties say.

rather then work together to find solutions .. for instance they call the 2nd largest party - the opposition!!

This speaks volumes - as traditionally they'll oppose whoever the current government is on almost all issues.

Michael Portelo did a programme after he lost his seat goin around the country asking people what the conservatives had to do to win power again .. I'd have thought it would have been nicert o ask ordinary people what politicians can do to help people - not just get them to vote for them.
  • Options
    Can I ask another question on similar lines?

What you do think of civil servants?
  • Options
    Shouldn't this be in politics and debate?
    Anyway, civil servants. Normally seem to come from similar backgrounds to the politicians in terms of university education, many of them aspire to be politicians, and , from what i know they don't really do all that much except follow orders. Plus they don't hang around in the same post for too long, 2 years i think is the maximum amount of time they can spend incertain posts.
  • Options
    POLITICIANS? bunch of bawbags!
  • Options
    I think that far too many of them have the same hairstyle and weird accent.

As for personality...I'm not sure. Some of them seem like quite nice people, whereas others come across as complete tossers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    weird accent.

thats what oxford and cambridge do for you
  • Options
    You try living in cambridge with all the snooty students. They put on their ever-so-plummy posh accents but if u see them getting bumped into by someone they suddenly slip back into the 'bloody hell will you watch where you're fucking going.'
    :rolleyes:
    but yeah politicians, hmm mostly given up on them
    and civil servants, i agree with the they sit their taking orders.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'm applying to the civil service
  • Options
    You better be good at following orders then:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Franglais
    thats what oxford and cambridge do for you

It's not just nice and uninflected...it's just fucking weird.
    And not nice in the least. :|
  • Options
    i've just skimmed over this thread and have noticed 3 things. accents, honesty and taxes.

regarding their accents, like you said, oxford and cambridge. but would you really take a politician seriously if he sounded like a south londoner (inflections, and slang)(no offense)? i know i wouldn't! they've got to sound like they know what they're talking about, and sound as if they have power.

honesty? politicians are basically mouth pieces of spin doctors. most of what you see or read is cencored before it gets to the media, and all "live" broadcasts are pretty much scripted or re hashed old news (Blair is THE man at this art). the propoganda is used to direct public opinion (the americans have mastered this art form). this might infuriate the populus, but it's also doing a job of crowd control, limiting our knowledge of any given situation, so that we don't end up rioting or brining the country to a standstill in one form or another.

taxes. what they don't spend on doing their proposed issuse (mostly)...(partially) goes into the national coffers. the advice your parents give you is right. do start saving for that rainy day, because the with blair at the helm, britain's big storm is comming. at least the PM is wise enough to do that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HellsBells
    You try living in cambridge with all the snooty students. They put on their ever-so-plummy posh accents but if u see them getting bumped into by someone they suddenly slip back into the 'bloody hell will you watch where you're fucking going.'
    :rolleyes:
    but yeah politicians, hmm mostly given up on them
    and civil servants, i agree with the they sit their taking orders.

Oxford and Cambridge are like two of the biggest cons going - they're not even proper universities but a collection fo Colleges. You don't even apply to the University as a whole but to individual colleges... My friend applied there and had probabaly amongst the best set of grades in the country.

But Cambridge told him to go away and try applying next year!!
    I guest his social background with very poorly educated parents just didn't suit them!!

Strange thing is a lot of people on TV seemed to have come out of the two schools - lots of BBC Comedians for instance.
  • Options
    ja ja ja ja ja ja ja, here here here here, grumble grumble, aye aye aye aye aye ......hmmm hmmmm hmmm hmmmmm hmm,,, ja ja, grumble *scratch of head* here here , aye, *fidle of change in pckets* grumble....hmmm hmmm hmmmm hmmm ja ja ja ja ja ja.................blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh THATS WHAT I THINK.

Hi...........erm.....bye:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Amie Butler
    ja ja ja ja ja ja ja, here here here here, grumble grumble, aye aye aye aye aye ......hmmm hmmmm hmmm hmmmmm hmm,,, ja ja, grumble *scratch of head* here here , aye, *fidle of change in pckets* grumble....hmmm hmmm hmmmm hmmm ja ja ja ja ja ja.................blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh THATS WHAT I THINK.

Hi...........erm.....bye:D

LMAO :lol:

I nearly did wet myself reading that!