Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

I'm about to low level format

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anything I should know before doing it?

Comments

• Options
    I Googled it before I posted pal. Wanted to see if anyone had any probs with a LLF. Done it now any way.
  • Options
    Yes. Don't ever low level format an IDE hard disk.
  • Options
    Proper low level formatting can't be done at a home environment as the hard disc has to be physically opened in factory where they have equipment which physically delete i.e totally remove the magnetic charges which create the data structure on the HDD platter.
    With the home utilities that offer the so called low level formatting, they basically fill every sector of the hdd with 0's, even over bad sectors, this is the best way to eliminate bad sectors on your hdd if one has ever cropped up, it is also the best way of deleting any infected master boot records that might of gotten onto your system which won't seem to budge.
    Personally myself if you know how to use Fdisk to create a new partition and to format the drive, which I take it you do, then I see nothing wrong with using a low level format on the drive as it is much more thorough at cleaning the disk than formatting. :) Make sure that you use the disk utilities that came with your hard drive though. :)
  • Options
    I don't think any recent BIOS that I've had has supported formatting.
    Well, I couldn't find the function, anyway.
    I shall have a look when I reboot.

My 386 *reminisces* did, though :D