Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Citizenship lessons for British passport applicants

The government is introducing citizenship classes for those wishing to apply for UK citizenship. At the end of the course all applicants will have to pass an exam in order to obtain citizenship. Issues covered include the ability to speak English, Welsh or Gaelic, to understand how democracy and Parliament works and to know how to handle and acquire basic utilities such as electricity or gas.
Full story.

I think it's generally a good idea. If anyone wants to become British it is not unfair to expect them to speak the official language and to have a basic knowledge of the countries utilities and how the government and institutions work.

I just hope it's not taken further and the whole idea descends into a "Tebbit's cricket test". I don't know how much of a knowledge of the government and institutions is needed. I hope it's not a lot- many of the native British don't have a clue anyway. But as long as they adhere to what they have proposed now I think it's not too much to ask.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What a good idea!
  • Options
    to understand how democracy and Parliament works

There's plenty of Brits who would say that neither works!!

:p
  • Options
    yes, I think it is a good idea too. I think it's fair that anyone who wants to become a citizen of the UK should share in our language, be able to write a cheque, all these little things that we just assume British people can do.

I know if I was emigrating to France - which I want to do one day - I'd have no problems in taking a test when it came round to the time of me applying for citizenship.
  • Options
    Re: Citizenship lessons for British passport applicants
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    the ability to speak English, Welsh or Gaelic, to understand how democracy and Parliament works and to know how to handle and acquire basic utilities such as electricity or gas.

If only all British people could do that too!

I think it'll benefit those applying in that they'll have language and other basic skills that will suitably equip them for employment. Although maybe the knowledge of our government and institutions shouldn't be tested for a while, after classes in it, because if people can't even speak english, trying to grasp other things aswell as settling in to a new country may prove too much.

I think basic skills and the workings of the government, politics etc. should be taught in school much more because so many young people do not have a clue. Me included...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Citizenship lessons for British passport applicants
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    I think basic skills and the workings of the government, politics etc. should be taught in school much more because so many young people do not have a clue. Me included...

very much agree with that too :yes:

they did a thing called Citizenship in our school, but it was only for the lower sets :confused:
  • Options
    I think EVERYONE should have to do them. For once I like the government :D
  • Options
    This is a positive step especially for the first generation immigrants who cannot fully integrate.
  • Options
    However this only applies to those who want to become UK citizens. There are many immigrants with permanent leave to stay, and I would imagine many of them are not going to bother with this.

Elderly people will also be exempt for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    However this only applies to those who want to become UK citizens. There are many immigrants with permanent leave to stay, and I would imagine many of them are not going to bother with this.

Elderly people will also be exempt for obvious reasons.

But, those who don't want to do the test will find that getting to France, Spain, Germany or many of the other Schengen countries is a time consuming, expensive business.

So, in the end people may find that they have to "take the test" for convenience, rather than any deep seated desire to become a UK citizen.

I'm sure that it won't be long after the test is introduced, before some paper does an article on the percentage of Brits who would fail if required to do the test.
  • Options
    Originally posted by opopanax
    I'm sure that it won't be long after the test is introduced, before some paper does an article on the percentage of Brits who would fail if required to do the test.

Which is why compulsory Citizenship lessons are a must.
  • Options
    Well no opopanax, as things stand the test is for those who wish to become British citizens. It has nothing to do with securing the right of permanent residence in the UK, which anyone who aspires to British citizenship must already have.

This is aimed as those people who, for whichever reasons, desire to become British subjects.
  • Options
    Well no, as things stand the test is for those who wish to become British citizens. It has nothing to do with securing the right of permanent residence in the UK, which anyone who aspires to British citizenship must already have.

This is aimed as those people who, for whichever reasons, desire to become British subjects.

But don't you think it would be beneficial to extend it to the rest of the population?
  • Options
    Why oh why do people need to know about how to be a "british citizen" to live here?I've spent two years doing a government initiated citizenship course, which, in all honesty, was the usual propaganderised crap you get taught in schools. If this is the citizenship lessons that will be compulsory then I really do think it is just the government trying to influence more people. And lets face it, as far as I can see this is only a way of pleasing the right wing whilst still retaining some credibility on asylum with the left. Its a half measure, something the current labour government seems to be full of.
  • Options
    I think it's important that people are aware of the history, language, institutions and day-to-day living aspects of the country they live in. However this should not be forced on anyone... nor should we ask citizens of other nations to forfeit their natural citizenship just because they live in the UK.
  • Options
    Well no opopanax, as things stand the test is for those who wish to become British citizens. It has nothing to do with securing the right of permanent residence in the UK, which anyone who aspires to British citizenship must already have.

Thing is, people who have "indefinite leave to remain", on the whole require a visa to visit Europe.

So, they'll end up going for citizenship.

No desire to be British there, just pragmatism.

But don't you think it would be beneficial to extend it to the rest of the population?

Erm, they've already got the certificate!! And most would just see it as blatant propaganda - with some cause I'm sure.
  • Options
    BBC Citizenship test

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3077964.stm

8/10 for me and you?
  • Options
    Re: BBC Citizenship test
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3077964.stm

8/10 for me and you?

7 - whats the pass mark?
  • Options
    I got 7 too. (some lucky answers!)

Although my dad & I are sure it's 30 minutes break after 6 hours work, unless the law changed.
  • Options
    Re: Re: BBC Citizenship test
    Originally posted by opopanax
    7 - whats the pass mark?

Anything less than 5 and you are deported to Albania :lol:

I got the Queens birthday wrong but she has never sent me a card so I reckon we're evens on that one.
  • Options
    it's 15 mins break for every 4 hours work.

It's a good idea I think. I think Asylum seekers should have to participate as well if their claim is accepted. It may help to reduce tension between local people and immigrants.
    Which is why compulsory Citizenship lessons are a must.

By which of course you mean liberal indoctrination, which as anyone subjected to AS General Studies will tell you is bollacks.
  • Options
    Oh and 9/10 on the test. I didn't know the mimimum wage increase.
  • Options
    Did that in Denmark. Only to have the test full of mistake and spelling errors.

But yes, it is a good idea.
  • Options
    I got 8/10, though it didint help that the spaccers who wrote that test didnt list the right answer as an option for Q2.

But that test is ridiculous, it wouldnt be questions about Westlife for Christs sake.
  • Options
    hey I got 8 right, I even shocked myself :D

Oh I got the Westlife one right :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by RoyalSubject
    Oh and 9/10 on the test. I didn't know the mimimum wage increase.

I found that the easiest.........strange eh
  • Options
    8/10... not bad for a Spaniard. :p
  • Options
    I'm not saying what I got
  • Options
    i failed!
    i dont know things like the queens birthday, nor do i particularly need to.
    boo hoo.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    9/10.

*shakes fist at westlife*

what the hell has that got to do with being british? is it compulsory to like shit music now?

The fact that they are Irish, and Ireland is not Britiush m'dear:p