Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kid things

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What stories did your parents tell you when you were little that you believed for ageees?

My mum told me that there were fairies who lived in the bumps at the top of street lights who turned the lights on every evening.

My dad told me that if I didn't step off the escalator when it got to the end, I would get sucked underneath it and go round again :eek: I've been scared of escalators ever since!

Comments

• Options
    Cant think of any right now...but when my brother was little my dad told him that when he was a baby he was so small that my dad used to carry him around in his pocket. My bro believed that for ages bless him.
  • Options
    My mum told me that those little bug things that everyone called roley poley's (or however you'd spell that) were actually things that crawl into your ear and eat your brain. :eek2: She did that to stop me bringing them into the house. She could just have said 'Bring those into the house and I'll burn your Barbies' or something.

She also told me that those things in peppers, the little seed looking things, were poisonous. :mad: She made me scared of those. Evil wench.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    She also told me that those things in peppers, the little seed looking things, were poisonous. :mad: She made me scared of those. Evil wench.

you mean they're not poisonous??? :eek2:

;)
  • Options
    i got told there was a big dragon in the next door neighbours garden after id found a way in there. this sufficed only to make me more interested in getting in:lol:
  • Options
    my parents gave me a book to read instaed of teaching me about sex. it had pictures.

for years i though your just put it in and stayed there. i was most confused when i finally saw sex on the telly and they moved around... :blush:
  • Options
    Every weekend when i wouldnt get dressed my mum said "If you go and get dressed now, we'll go and buy you a puppy." She said it for ages, until about a year and a half later when we actually got one. Of course, by then, i didnt believe her and wouldnt go :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i always got told that if you ate the pips in apples, when you woke up the next day you would have an apple tree growing out of your belly button. hmm.
  • Options
    My grandad told m,e my great aunt was a witch cos she had a broomstick at the end of the garden, for years I believed it.

I thought my granma was 39 for about 10 years!

When we went abroad I used to mess about pushing the seat back and forward, annoying the passengers, so the next year she told me the button was not the seat ejector and id be ejected out of the plane if I touched it. I didnt move a muscle!
  • Options
    If you watch the telegraph wires and cables as you go past them in a train, you'll go blind. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    when you grow up you have to get a job.

pah! lies, all lies
  • Options
    my granpa was really skinny and it made his adams apple really stick out and one day i asked him what the big lump in his throat was and he told me he had swallowed a golf ball! i believed this and it wasnt til i was about 15 and he was long gone that it dawned on me it was his adams apple! :lol:
  • Options
    Dont pull a face like that for too long or when the wind changes suddenly you'll be left with your face looking like that forever!!!
    Wouldn't mind but the wind was always changing-
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    when you grow up you have to get a job.

pah! lies, all lies

:lol:

I was told I was dropped in chocolate at birth, but then again that was my godfathers fault for going out with a racist woman. :rolleyes: Shame she died :D

The usual, Santa, tooth fairy, face changing, rain being gods wee, but it was OK, because his wee was nice and clean unlike ours.