Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.

if your going to heaven ...

Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary GuruPosts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do you believe you will be doing there?
theres obviously going to be no bars ...no drugs ...no pole dancing ...no loud music ...in bed by ten ...so what do you realy believe your going to be doing there and what is the basis for your belief?
if i'm going to hell will i be shoveling coal all day? thats what my grandad spent his entire life doing and he was a nice honest guy!
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For all we know heaven (as such) could be nothing more than a parallel dimension ala the conjecture of Isaac Asimov. In that case we could be doing just about anything except without inclinations that currently plague us.

    Dunno if i need to worry about it since ive probably been so corrupted by my political associations as to make such afterlife hopes moot.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What make you think that you're going to have aphysical body like that?

    I believe that it's a completely different plain of reality up there, where physicality is no longer a restriction.
    I realise this sounds very abstract, but that's what I believe.

    There is a passage in the Bible where Jesus talks about Heaven being like a mansion, but I really don't have the enthusiasm to look and try to find it.

    No idea about Hell though. It's he name of a town in Norway, so my guess is it's damned cold and full of forigners :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm sounds like Brussels in the winter.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Skateside
    What make you think that you're going to have aphysical body like that?

    I believe that it's a completely different plain of reality up there, where physicality is no longer a restriction.
    I realise this sounds very abstract, but that's what I believe.

    but surely to believe something you have some kind of basis for the belief ...an abstract and vague idea surely isn't the grounds to 'believe' something.
    i have a reasonably solid basis ...to believe from the evidence provided, that the earth is round.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dont believe in heaven but when i die im gonna be totally unaware of anything...just oblivion...

    an ex parrot.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    but surely to believe something you have some kind of basis for the belief ...an abstract and vague idea surely isn't the grounds to 'believe' something.
    i have a reasonably solid basis ...to believe from the evidence provided, that the earth is round.
    Noody will ever be able to give evidence about what Heaven is like. It's somewhat of a one-way trip.

    To me, my beliefs make the most sence, but I will admit, I don't honestly know, I only know what I believe.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Skateside
    Noody will ever be able to give evidence about what Heaven is like. It's somewhat of a one-way trip.

    To me, my beliefs make the most sence, but I will admit, I don't honestly know, I only know what I believe.
    but surely what you believe is based on some kind of evidence? other wise it's blind faith which is against bible principle. all this is from memory so when i get my hands on a bible i'll quote the apropriate scriptures ...one says that you must make sure of all the things the apostles are teaching you before you believe. or your faith is blind and based on nothing.
    if christ was a perfect man without sin ...then why did he go to hell?
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my idea of heaven would be loads of cute bi ladies pleasing me all the time whilst i relax with a beer enjoyin sport for free

    now the idea of heaven is purely subjective i reckon, but that ruins the point of no sin since heaven might be full of it

    or as my uncle says it "i wanna go hell coz all da fun ladies go there"
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if christ was a perfect man without sin ...then why did he go to hell?
    Where does it say that?
    I'll look that one up, becuase that doesn't make that much sence at face value. :confused:

    Anyway...
    ...my belief in this probably isn't based on anything in the Bible, but like I said, it just makes the most sense to me, something being above and beyond this realm.
    I really don't know how to describe it without simply repeating what I've already said...

    ...I guess that one's a bit of blind faith, but it's what I happen to believe
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Skateside
    Where does it say that?
    I'll look that one up, becuase that doesn't make that much sence at face value. :confused:

    read the story of the crucifixion. he gets nailed and then goes to hell for three days before being resurected. very simple part of the story that religions skim over ...or more correctly leave out all together but there it is in your bible. why would they leave that bit out? becuase it exposes their lies. the word hell means the common grave of mankind. but the good old churches controlled huge ammounts of peoples by fear ...the invention that your loving god would hand you over to satan to torment and torture you forever more ...but isn't satan supposed to be getting locked in an abyss of darkness and inactivity ...and then destroyed? so who will be chief torturer then?
    if your going to believe something it does make sense to know why you believe something ...otherwise your entire belief system is open to ridicule.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually (dusts off theology texts) MR, the English translations are not the source from which to construct an accurate picture of Biblical teaching on hell.

    The place to which Christ is noted as having descended after his crucifixion (out the door, line on the left, one cross each...NEXT!) is Sheol, which was a place of waiting for the departed faithful prior to the resurrection. This was not heaven nor a place of torment, but simply a place for those whose faith in God's promise anticipated the coming of the Messiah. His descent was to collect those souls and usher them to their final reward in God's presence.

    The Bible does however make numerous references to a place of final tomrent which in the Hebrew is known as Gehenna. This is the fiery pit of oft repeated evangelical sermons.

    Just to clarify the descrepency you rightly pointed out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Actually (dusts off theology texts) MR, the English translations are not the source from which to construct an accurate picture of Biblical teaching on hell.

    The place to which Christ is noted as having descended after his crucifixion (out the door, line on the left, one cross each...NEXT!) is Sheol, which was a place of waiting for the departed faithful prior to the resurrection. This was not heaven nor a place of torment, but simply a place for those whose faith in God's promise anticipated the coming of the Messiah. His descent was to collect those souls and usher them to their final reward in God's presence.

    The Bible does however make numerous references to a place of final tomrent which in the Hebrew is known as Gehenna. This is the fiery pit of oft repeated evangelical sermons.

    Just to clarify the descrepency you rightly pointed out.
    clan i am only going of smoking meories here ...gehenna being the local rubbish tip where the refuse was burnt ...or destroyed. the bible says that the dead are concious of nothing at all ....
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think heaven is what you make it. It would be rather boring standing around and worshipping God for all eternity.

    I favour the liberal Christian view of heaven in that a person can go there irrespective of being a Christian or not, provided they have led a 'good' life.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I think heaven is what you make it. It would be rather boring standing around and worshipping God for all eternity.

    I favour the liberal Christian view of heaven in that a person can go there irrespective of being a Christian or not, provided they have led a 'good' life.
    but how do you define 'good'.
    i've had a good life ...but i break the law of the land by smoking pot. does that count as bad ...therefor down to the boiler room?
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's why I've put it in inverted commas.

    Perhaps 'good' means a righteous life, I don't know......
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat

    Perhaps 'good' means a righteous life, I don't know......
    see you down the boiler room then ...it's going to be overcroded and hot me thinks ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes it was the burning in the valley of hinnom, however it is referred to in reference to final judgement as well.

    Actually there are numerous suggestions that the dead do in fact retain consciousness. Check out this interesting rundown on it that i came across when the thread was started...

    http://www.wordonly.com/CI05.html

    I do personally feel that noone can be credibly dogmatic on what happens, if anything, to us after death. We're all gonna find out sooner or later and can believe what we wish till then.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Yes it was the burning in the valley of hinnom, however it is referred to in reference to final judgement as well.

    Actually there are numerous suggestions that the dead do in fact retain consciousness. Check out this interesting rundown on it that i came across when the thread was started...

    http://www.wordonly.com/CI05.html

    I do personally feel that noone can be credibly dogmatic on what happens, if anything, to us after death. We're all gonna find out sooner or later and can believe what we wish till then.
    i just read all of that clan! seems no one realy agrees very much. i keep saying i will get a bible and get one i will ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wish i hadnt let my biblical hebrew go rusty, i was one of the best students in translation. Kinda miss my concordances and such.

    Ah well, along came politics and carried me away...
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i just read all of that clan! seems no one realy agrees very much. i keep saying i will get a bible and get one i will ...

    There are so many places that they give them for free.

    I have recieved a zillion in presents. All different editions, from different countries. Should start collecting tbh.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    There are so many places that they give them for free.

    I have recieved a zillion in presents. All different editions, from different countries. Should start collecting tbh.
    do actualy read any of the stuff in there jacq? i read the bible quite deeply some years ago but do not confess to understand the majority of it. a good modern translation is essential for me. it would be to much trying to read the king james translation with all it's thees and thous ...ok if your from yorkshire where they still speak like that i suppose.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nah. Only look some stuff up.

    Though I know the first part of first chapter by heart.

    Btw, if you're really into it, you should start learning Hebrew. A lot gets lost in translation. Build up of words, and sentances, can't always be translated correctly.
    A lot of puns and stuff like that, which you only notice when reading in Hebrew.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Nah. Only look some stuff up.

    Though I know the first part of first chapter by heart.
    in the begining ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In Hebrew :p
    Though I learnt it in English.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I think heaven is what you make it. It would be rather boring standing around and worshipping God for all eternity.

    I favour the liberal Christian view of heaven in that a person can go there irrespective of being a Christian or not, provided they have led a 'good' life.
    You want to be able to go to Heaven even if you don't believe on God? :confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Skateside
    You want to be able to go to Heaven even if you don't believe on God? :confused:

    Why not? Why should it be written in stone that 'belief in God' is necessary?
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Why not? Why should it be written in stone that 'belief in God' is necessary?
    no chance mono ...your coming down that hot hole with me ...for being such an awkward bastard!
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    no chance mono ...your coming down that hot hole with me ...for being such an awkward bastard!

    Isn't hell supposed to be a hot, horrible place filled with debauchery? Sounds a lot like Faliraki to me! ;)

    What I find amusing about the whole Heaven/Hell thing is that all a Christian has to do on their deathbed is say "oops sorry God" and they get up there - yet a non-Christian who does nothing wrong goes straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred pounds... :)

    This is why I don't follow organised religion because I believe in a live and let live attitude and the religions are desperate to give members of their religions a superiority complex to get members.

    Anyway, Rollie see you in the hothouse - if you can bring some sausages, I'll bring some burgers and we'll have a BBQ yeah? :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I still don't get it.

    I mean, why would you want to go and be with someone you don't believe exists?

    :confused:

    And kevlar85, the Christian would have to be truely sorry and mean it, but it's one of the good point of Christianity in my belief:
    no matter how much it looks like you've screwed it up, God will always forgive you if you're sorry :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I’m goona get to heaven, shag my 72 virgins and drink my alexia and wine. It will be Allah’s reward for me after I have murdered a dozen schoolgirls, but those infidels deserve it.
Sign In or Register to comment.