Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Bloody Scammers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few weeks ago a letter arrived at my house from a company called 'Telecom billing services' addressed the 'The occupier' and saying they were owed £34 for a recall service on a particular number.

I called the company and they said if the number wasn't mine to just ignore it. Then a couple of weeks after that I got another letter so I called them again and complained and the very rude and disorganised man on the phone said to ignore it again so I sent the letter back to them with a letter telling them not to harrass me again and to sort it out.

Yesterday I received a demand from a debt collecting agency called Persolvo saying I owed £34 and another £30 collection fee and if I didn't pay it I'd be taken to court.

I called the Debt company and the very rude and disorganised man (funny that) who answered told me to send the letter back to the company. 'But you are the company' I said! 'Just send it back he said'...so I wrote a letter to the Debt agency and the Telecom company asking them to sort it out.

Anyway - I did a bit of reserch on the internet and at work I checked the company through Companies House only to discover that the debt agency and the telecom company operate from the very same premises and that OFTEL have had over 900 complaints about this scam!!!!

Apparently theres an MP in Twickenham who is fighting on behalf of a pensioner who is being hounded for hundreds of pounds!

I sent an e-mail round work asking if anyone else had experienced this and the outcome is that I'm going on a TV programme to be interviewed about it!! Bit weird but I'm bloody mad that they can get away with this and hopefully by going on TV something will be done!

Comments

• Options
    Re: Bloody Scammers
    Originally posted by byny

I sent an e-mail round work asking if anyone else had experienced this and the outcome is that I'm going on a TV programme to be interviewed about it!! Bit weird but I'm bloody mad that they can get away with this and hopefully by going on TV something will be done!
    lets know when your on ...is that you in your av? if so looking forward to seeing on the box!
    about 20yrs ago i knew a team who were sending invoices to big companies ...ici would get a bill for around 3grand for cleaning of a machine or something ...woolworths would get a bill for shop fitting repairs or replacements ...they would send hundreds of these things out , using a multitued of names and addresses. 90 % of what they billed for they recieved payment for. they made millions. big companies are not now so easily had so the public become the target more and more. civilian casualties they used to be known as but now the civilians are the actual targets ...sad aye.
  • Options
    Apparently when Which investigated them they discovered that they had never actually taken anyone to court. I bet they just send these things out because some people will automatically pay them.

I was told that sometimes they call people and imply they are from BT and ask for your address so they can send you a fake bill. So the moral of the story is never give anyone who calls your address because if they already provide you with a service then they will have the address already. Now that I think back I do remember someone calling here and asking for my address...DOH!
  • Options
    I hope they sort it. When we moved in here we kept get ting hassle fro mtv licence people telling us to get one & we had one! They kept on hounding us & when we phoned for the last time they said if you get one more sue us which they said we would be successfull for) !!!! :eek:
    We never did though heh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Apparently when Which investigated them they discovered that they had never actually taken anyone to court.
    i would doubt they are even licienced for debt collection ...just a big fat scam that i'd bet has netted them plenty.
  • Options
    PS - no thats not me on the AV!! the programme is 'Working Lunch' don't know when its being broadcast but I'm being filmed on Monday. I will probably be out of the country when its broadcast as I'm going to Ireland on Wednesday!!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Bloody Scammers
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    lets know when your on ...is that you in your av? if so looking forward to seeing on the box!
    and I get called a flirt :eek2:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Bloody Scammers
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    and I get called a flirt :eek2:

Thats cause you are :p. :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bloody Scammers
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Thats cause you are :p. :D