Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

general studies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
:eek2:

Hmm..I've got a D in general studies A-level, (although I literally was only 3 marks off a C so may retake an exam if it's recommended)....I'm off back to do a 3rd year at college but plan on going to uni after that. I know some accept general studies...so will it count as me getting a D grade at a-level? *confuzzled*

I need to speak to college..but if anyone can shed some light, that'd be great :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If you did the whole thing then its an A-level.
    It doesnt matter when you take it, it still counts is the same qualification.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just out of wonderment....

What exactly is general studies and what does it involve?

Also, why do you have to take it at A-level if some universities won't accept it when you apply there?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter

Also, why do you have to take it at A-level if some universities won't accept it when you apply there?

General Studies is basically worldy knowledge stuff. Ours had three main areas, one Culture with like art, music, literature, arcitecture (still cant spell it), one Scientific with both the actual science and technology knowledge and moral implications, then a more Political/Current Affairs module which is pretty self explanitary.
    Oh, and we had to know all about the different types of arguements and knowledge you can have.

In the exam we got some one/two mark questions based on the sylabus, then another section where we had to explain how arguements in articles etc were created and justified. Then an essay (think it was one per paper, may have been two...) where you could show your knowledge, that you knew how to construct a proper arguement and had a good grasp of the language.

I took it because i enjoyed it. There wasnt exactly a lot of teaching time involved but i was pretty likely to come out with a good result (i got an A :)). Plus it helped me finally get a grasp on some of the business and politics stuff id never really caught on to. Plus they know that you have it, even if they dont officially take it, so it might give you an edge. Plus it teaches you skills with all the types of knowledge and stages of arguements etc that you can use later on.

I thought it was pretty useful really. :)
  • Options
    i have to take general studies. we all do at my school.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter

Basically it's an exam where you tick random multiple choice boxes and then write a few pages of bullshit.

Some universities accept it, in which case it's a good one to have. No-one really regards it as a proper A-level, but it adds to the package I suppose, which is why it's compulsory at most schools (also bumps up their results for the league tables . ;) )
  • Options
    hmm personally general studies was a pile of crap, got disqualified from for swearing at exam board on script :P

hmm its there to get people who arent interested in politics/morals etc interested in it, but i already have an interest in politics so i found it dull and almost propaganda, hmm and for those who its meant to encourage, they didnt turn up!

only went for the amount of ladies in me class ;)
  • Options
    I refused to do on the grounds that it was pointless, the unis I wanted to go to didn't accept it, and I was already doing 4 other A-Levels.
  • Options
    General Studies is enforced at our school, everyone has to do it. I think it's a vague, pointless subject as no one takes it seriously, and we don't want to bother going to lessons, although you get chased up if you don't.
    We have a new registration system, where every lesson's register is on computer, so your movements can be tracked around the school, and if you were in an earlier lesson but not the next one, the teachers will know. Very Big Brother is watching style....!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Basically it's an exam where you tick random multiple choice boxes and then write a few pages of bullshit.

Ours wasnt multiple choice.
    ANd for all the slagging off its recieving i really dont see the problem. you do 6 hours of work and get an extra Alevel that shows future employers you have a pretty wide knowledge, rather just been good at chemistry and history or what ever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by faerielights
    Ours wasnt multiple choice.
    ANd for all the slagging off its recieving i really dont see the problem. you do 6 hours of work and get an extra Alevel that shows future employers you have a pretty wide knowledge, rather just been good at chemistry and history or what ever.

You did 6 hours of work for it? What like 6 hours a week? In year 13 I went to one lesson for 20 minutes the whole year and still got a decent grade.

It does add range to your A-levels, however people can attain that level of knowledge by reading newspapers and books throughout their lives, you don't necessarily need an A-level in general studies to show that.

Schools just push it so that more A-levels are taken thus improving their league table scores.

The best quote about general studies is from 'Have I got News for You':

"What you've got 4 A-levels? Oh the fourth is general studies, isn't it? Well that's like saying I've got my cycling proffiency certificate or I've got 3 A-levels and my 25 metres swimming badge."

:lol:
  • Options
    I saw that on HIGNFY. Hislop gets right on my nerves, he can appear extremely ignorant for someone who deep down is very unintelligent. When he was at school, yes General Studies was a joke, however that isn't the case anymore. If it is, then how do you explain the fact that Universities like Sheffield, Liverpool and Leeds (all top ranking unis) accept it? Nowadays General Studies is more and more considered a proper A-level and the fact these unis accept it is vindication of that. I think Key Skills is now the equivalent of what general Studies was 10 or 15 years ago in terms of being a joke. Now that US absolute rubbish. A/S level GS is pretty easy, however those of us who have done A2 know that it is completely different from A/S. I know people who got As in their A-levels because they have a good memory and can learn a load of facts, but if they had sat my GS papers they would have been totally lost, because it tests general intelligence, not a load of facts and information learnt from books. I'm on a year out now, and I'm going to study Law at Sheffield or Liverpool next year, both of whom accept GS for their law courses (i got an A), and Sheffield's law school was top of the country a couple of years ago. Times change, the facts prove it. I personally think it's much more use than a lot of other subjects. Think of the real world, is it more useful to know about topical things like politics, or be able to factorise equations? In terms of practicaility, it's much more useful. As adults we have to vote in elections, however I don't enviseage the future of the country ever resting on who can identify a sedimentary rock.
  • Options
    Think of the real world, is it more useful to know about topical things like politics, or be able to factorise equations? In terms of practicaility, it's much more useful. As adults we have to vote in elections, however I don't enviseage the future of the country ever resting on who can identify a sedimentary rock.

Exactly.

I learnt so much about society and culture through general studies. Those that say general studies is a waste of time are usually those who didn't bother going to lessons or whose school didn't offer lessons.

Doing any subject is a waste of time if you don't go to lessons, surely?

You won't do as well in the exam (you may still do well, but you won't be able to do as well as you could) and spend the rest of your life moaning how it was a waste of time...
  • Options
    You did 6 hours of work for it? What like 6 hours a week?

Ive been thinking about this... I think it was more like nine actually- 6 x 1 1/2 hour exams... Other wise, yeah, about 20 minutes reading through the types of knowledge. :p
    I don't enviseage the future of the country ever resting on who can identify a sedimentary rock.

Ouch! Identifying sedimentary rocks isnt as simple as you'd think! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by faerielights
    Ive been thinking about this... I think it was more like nine actually- 6 x 1 1/2 hour exams... Other wise, yeah, about 20 minutes reading through the types of knowledge. :p

Ouch! Identifying sedimentary rocks isnt as simple as you'd think! :D

I wasn't talking about difficulty though. It may well be difficult, but it is also pointless and has little or no use in the real world :cool:
  • Options
    Yeah thinking about what some of you have said, at my college we didn't have any lessons in General Studies. We were just handed out a couple of past papers in one of our form periods. I had thought that that was what it was like for everybody.

That meant that what we wrote in the exam was based entirely on basic instinct and opinions on events, without any theoretical knowledge. If the marking system had reflected the fact that we'd had little or no preparation for it, or if we had have been more prepared for it, then I'm sure the grades would have been higher and people would have felt there was more point in doing it.
  • Options
    How is A2 GS different to AS? Is it worth going to the lessons then? What sort of questions are asked?
  • Options
    Basically A/S is a bit daft. I'm presuming you have seen/done the papers so I wont explain that. The A2 is a whole different ball game. You actually have to have in depth knowledge about what you're writing about. There is a huge list of topics you can be asked about and you need to know a lot about them all, either that or you need to get lucky and stumble upon something you already know about. For example in my A2 I had to write an hour long essay about IVF. At first that might not sound too bad, but then you think about it, an hour of solid writing is a lot. I ended up writing over 2500 words for it. You have to look at things from a lot of different perspectives, which isn't that easy. I had another question which was about spin in politics, can't remember the exact question..... Basically at A/S you can get through because a lot of it is stimulus based and also it's not marked that harshly. However at A2 unless you genuinely know a lot about what you're writing about you will get slaughtered. You have to be very well up on things like healthcare, politics, world affairs, and also science played a big part in my A2. Philosophy was in there and all...... You have to think in diversive ways too, which is a nack that isn't always easy to pick up, because it's sometimes illogical in a sense. You have to train yourself to think in certain ways. Yes it is worth going ot lessons, otherwise unless you are a very clever person generally, you will struggle. I must admit, I didn't go to one lesson, but my general knowledge is pretty nifty, and also I read good newspapers regularly, which is a huge help- the sort of subjects I have mentioned already which come up are the basis of our society. You can glean tonnes of knowledge just from reading about them. In the end I got 579/600 (much to the bemusement of the teacher I never saw during the whole 2 years). You also have to be a good writer, otherwise you wont be able to communicate your ideas properly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Museman
    Basically A/S is a bit daft. I'm presuming you have seen/done the papers so I wont explain that. The A2 is a whole different ball game. You actually have to have in depth knowledge about what you're writing about. There is a huge list of topics you can be asked about and you need to know a lot about them all, either that or you need to get lucky and stumble upon something you already know about. ...

Basically at A/S you can get through because a lot of it is stimulus based and also it's not marked that harshly. However at A2 unless you genuinely know a lot about what you're writing about you will get slaughtered. You have to be very well up on things like healthcare, politics, world affairs, and also science played a big part in my A2. ...

and also I read good newspapers regularly, which is a huge help- the sort of subjects I have mentioned already which come up are the basis of our society. You can glean tonnes of knowledge just from reading about them.

I think it depends what board your doing, because very little of mine was stimulus based, even at AS level, so our AS and A2 wasnt much different apart from the last paper, where you just wrote two essays instead of having a section of shorter questions aswell. The good thing was that they gave you a wide choice of subjects areas to choose from so you could choose questions to fit your own knowledge.

As Museman suggests, the best thing to do really is just read a range of decent broadsheets, so you get all sides of the story as newspapers usually have a political leaning and so may differ in their interpretation of the same events.
    Oh, and make sure you show both sides of any arguements and include a conclusion. I dont know about other boards, but ours wouldnt give more than 33% for an essay without a conclusion.
  • Options
    A word of warning - with Edexcel you now have to justify your conclusion by identifying the different types of argument you used.

I know, I didn't really get it either.

Basically if you said 'An important person [I can't think of a specific name right now] said Bush was wrong to go to war on Iraq' (argument based on moral values or arguing from authority) and then conclude that he was wrong based on the statement from the important person, you would then have to say that your conclusion was not fully justified because of the type of argument you used.

Hmmm...doesnt really make a lot of sense but I managed to get an A...
  • Options
    Originally posted by .NK
    A word of warning - with Edexcel you now have to justify your conclusion by identifying the different types of argument you used.

I know, I didn't really get it either.

Basically if you said 'An important person [I can't think of a specific name right now] said Bush was wrong to go to war on Iraq' (argument based on moral values or arguing from authority) and then conclude that he was wrong based on the statement from the important person, you would then have to say that your conclusion was not fully justified because of the type of argument you used.

Hmmm...doesnt really make a lot of sense but I managed to get an A...

Yep it's not easy. If a lot of the people who thought it was easy actually had to do it they would fall flat on their faces. Ah well.....
  • Options
    What schools did you people go to?!

Did they make you go to general studies lessons?! And believe it was an important exam...?

Basically for one of the exams I wrote everything I ever learnt in Sociology and it worked....

I read broadsheets and keep up with current affairs anyway. Good if it gets some people interested in that, but I still believe it's a waste of time really - unless it gets you into uni.
  • Options
    What schools did you people go to?!

it's a waste of time really - unless it gets you into uni.

That's a very big 'unless'! Like I say, a lot of it is more applicable to real life. You say you had to read papers, and I dare say knowing what is going on in the world in 2003 is more important than de-starching a leaf, for example!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Museman
    . You say you had to read papers, and I dare say knowing what is going on in the world in 2003 is more important than de-starching a leaf, for example!

Of course it is. You don't need to do general studies to know what's going on in the world - this being my main point.
  • Options
    Indeed, but you don't have to have an A-level in maths in order to be good at it either. Take your pick really. Some people don't like it, others find it useful/a decent option. As long as whatever you choose allows you to do whatever you want in the future, then that's all that matters :cool: .
  • Options
    i found it useless because im interested in reading newspapers/journals as it is, and my uni didnt care about it so i made no effort whatsoever for it, but if you like it, good for you, BTW i was FORCED to do it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by LonDoNErcHriS85
    i found it useless because im interested in reading newspapers/journals as it is, and my uni didnt care about it so i made no effort whatsoever for it, but if you like it, good for you, BTW i was FORCED to do it!

Fair enough, although surely you found it reasonably ok if you are well up on current stuff anyway? It won't have done you any harm. :)
  • Options
    :eek2: what've I started here?! :eek2:

it was compulsory to do AS general studies at my college, and was upto you if you did A2. however, many people saw sense and realised it was a load of poop and never went to lessons.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    :eek2: what've I started here?! :eek2:
    I wouldnt worry about it if i were you, common occurance! :)

Basically, we were forced to do AS in the January of U6, then could opt out of A2 if we wanted. We werent particularly forced to learn anything new, but help was there if we wanted/needed it.

I thought it was worth the extra few exams. Many people didnt. It didnt exactly do any harm and is an extra Alevel, even if it isnt valued very highly.
  • Options
    yeh, I agree...I thought it was worth doing if the uni you're going to accepts general studies. it's still poop though :rolleyes: :eek2: