Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why did they choose the 80s?

As the basic for the latest fashion revival?

It confused me cos everyone is always slating the 80s for the shit fashion, yet as soon as its done in this decade, its the best thing since sliced bread!

Me not understand. And i would have preferred 70s fashion to come back :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Why did they choose the 80s?
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    As the basic for the latest fashion revival?

It confused me cos everyone is always slating the 80s for the shit fashion, yet as soon as its done in this decade, its the best thing since sliced bread!

Me not understand. And i would have preferred 70s fashion to come back :D

Because these things seem to go in 20 year cycles. In the 80`s there was a 60`s revival, in the 90`s a 70`s revival, which was the most hideous thing ever for someone who lived through it the first time!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    so will 2010 - 2020 be a 90's revival or a 60's revival? hehe

As long as fingerless gloves stay away, I'm all up for it, heh

OMG, I wonder what will come back for a 90`s revival? :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy

Sweater Shop jumpers :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy

those flared denim miniskirts with buttons up the front, checked flannel shirts, knee-high lace up boots and DMs with rainbow laces...

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    those flared denim miniskirts with buttons up the front, checked flannel shirts, knee-high lace up boots and DMs with rainbow laces...

:yuck:
  • Options

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It`ll probably be puffa jackets, spliffy jeans, and union jack festooned clothes. I`ll look forward to that. :/
  • Options
    Well I guess most of the teenagers around atm were born in the 80s... not sure why that'd make a difference but yeah. I quite liked the 80s. It was shit fashion, maybe, but in a cult kind of way it was pretty cool.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    I would go as far as saying 99% of teenagers atm were born in the 80's hehe (except those 13 year olds who sneak in in 1990) :p

Smartarse.
  • Options
    :o

I still have one of those in my old wardrobe at my Mums house :blush:
  • Options
    What about knee length black dresses with thin shoulder straps where you wore a white top underneath for the 90s revival? I'm sure i saw loads of children wearing those at school discos in about year 5 :p (I'd like to say i never had one though.)
  • Options
    Dungarees :blush:
  • Options
    I like 80s fashions but even I have to say that most of the stuff they've brought back mings. When I first heard about the 80s revival I thought that meant a more formal, a more glamourous look - for men the kind of thing you'd see in Miami Vice and the Dallas/Dynasty look for women but with imaginative new twists. Instead they've basically built the 80s look around the movie Fame and the like sportswear of the 80s except they brought that into the mainstream and yes velour tracksuits, headbands and neon colours do ming. Don't blame the 80s, blame the crap designers.

Incidentally the 70s and 60s were also shite decades for fashion - 70s clothes were static ridden and made you look like a tramp, 60s clothes were sweat inducing PVC things or were made of wool. The lesson is there are good things and bad things in each decade mainly the responsibilty of good and bad designers.
  • Options
    The only good thing about fashion in the 80s was power dressing for business.