Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

trouble sleeping

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i know some ppl are insomniacs but what happened to me a few months ago makes me afriad every time i go to bed, i was awake thinkin one time in my bed then i tried to dose of to sleep, i dunno what happened but i was asleep and awake at the same time, i couldn't move my body,i couldn't breathe, there was a high pitched sound in my ears and my body was full of pins and needles. i was screaming in my brain but no sound came out, i thought i was gonna die, i took a deep breathe and somehow i managed to jump up, i was sweating and shitting myself, i didn't sleep for 3 days after that and its happened twice since then but not as terryfying as the first, does anyone know what this is and has any1 suffered the same thing

Comments

• Options
    I have read about this before. It does happen to some people but I can't rememer why. Don't worry, its not just you. Hopefully someone else will know but if not I'll try and find out where I heard about it.
  • Options
    I think you have what is often nicknamed "night terrors" A feeling of dread, being unable to breathe, move, etc. It's sort of like being awake with your body still asleep, if that makes sense.
    So it's not unknown. Maybe seeing a doctor to see if there's anything that can be done to prevent them. At least you know it's nothing to really worry about, and that it just feels unpleasant.
    Look it up on the Net.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I have that too.

Will be laying and suddenly, i can't moce. Even if I gather all the force in my body.
    A women I knew to´ld me that gher sister had the same thing and therefore believed in ghosts. At the age 11 that was what went through my head, so I was scared.

Then I read that it happens to a lot of people. That the brain doesn't send signals to the brain as it's so relaxed or something.
  • Options
    thanx alot, i thought i was some sort of freak,
  • Options
    Is it like you can feel yourself sorta sending instrucitions to your muscles but they just don't? I've had that a few times and it does scare the absolute shite out of me.
  • Options
    Its sleep peralysis (sp?) its relatively common, although not technicaly dangerous can cause serious upset, like it has with you. A mate of mine had it.

Also that gasping for breath you mention, thats more serious, it could actualy be what a lot of snoring people get, you stop breathing lots of little times during the night. It can be helped by your doctor with sprays etc.
  • Options
    I had this problem when i was much younger. I woke up and it really hurt to move and I could barely breathe... turned out I had some bug which only grows on the outside of the body growing inside of me... hmm :eek2:
  • Options
    I know how you feel and it's horrible. It can last up to a minute somtimes which is VERY scary. I often get this when I'm stressed or can't sleep that well.

Ok first of all try these:

Reduce stress
    Exercise regularly
    Don't eat, drink or smoke before you go to bed.
    Try sleeping on your side or front.

You know when you hear people saying that they get abducted my aliens? Well that's Sleep Paralysis and all the lights people see are just harmless hallucinations which can happen when you get Sleep Paralysis. I'm fixing up a website to do with all this kinds stuff so I thought I'd add a little on it for you.

There are no known explanation's to why some people experience this paralysis. It is not harmful, although most people report feeling very afraid because they do not know what is happening, and within minutes they gradually or abruptly are able to move again... the episode is often terminated by a sound or a touch on the body.

In some cases when hypnogogic hallucinations are present, people feel that someone is in the room with them, some experience the feeling that someone or something is sitting on their chest and they feel impending death and suffocation(that's the bit where you say you can't breath). That has been called the “Hag Phenomena” and has been happening to people over the centuries. These things cause people much anxiety and stress. There' isn't much to worry about though as it isn't harmful.

You might wanna check out:

http://www.dreamhawk.com/paralysis.htm
    http://www.miqrogroove.com/writing/Sleep%20Paralysis.html
    http://www.dreamsnightmares.com/sleepparalysis.html
    http://skepdic.com/sleepparalysis.html

P.s, Ignore the stuff you read about Isolated Sleep Paralysis as that's more to do with narcolepsy...