Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

An attempt to shut down Europe's largest arms fair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This September on the 9th and the 10th thousands of protesters for the first time ever will actualy try to shut down Europes biggest arms fair at the Excel exhibition centre near Canning Town in east London. There have been many protests in the past against arms fairs organised by the Campaign angainst the arms trade but never an attempt to actualy shut an arms fair down completely.

The 9th of September action will be strictly non violent with protesters being told only to use non violent direct action to close the arms fair. Full details of the 9th day of action are here: http://www.geocities.com/fluffydsei/action.html

The 10th of September action will be a no rules direct action day where protesters will be told to use any means neccessary to shut down the arms fair. Full details of the 10th day of action action are here: http://www.destroydsei.org/action.htm

The arms industry is being targetted because of its role in fueling war around the world. Many of the delegates attending this arms fair will be representatives from some of the world's most brutal regimes and from warring countries. These wars and brutal regimes also add to the world's refugee crisis.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hum.

people protesting about the arms trade using any means necessary, I presume this means violence and fire as in the pictures on that site

:rolleyes:
    Mind you, if one of them was able to sneak into the fair, nick a guided missile and launch it on the arms dealers it would be a very fitting event.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. :D
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Mind you, if one of them was able to sneak into the fair, nick a guided missile and launch it on the arms dealers it would be a very fitting event.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. :D

And if Blair and Bush were there too, itd be a fitting memorial for them:)
    BAH , Communists all of them.

All bloody Communists.
    Ah you know each and every person who will be there and precisely what their political party affiliations are eh? How uncannily precognitive of you. :rolleyes:
    Do you think The Matadore could be an anagram for M. Thatcher? Can't be; a few letters are missing. Still...

Would you care to explain something then Mat: Do you see no wrong in Britain selling jets and other weapons to countries like Indonesia or many a warring African nation? Don't you care that our beautiful British-made Hawk jets are being used to bomb civilians on the ground and terrorise a people? And that our wonderful Prime Minister continues to allow such sales to take place?

Judging by your comments on the Iraq thread I had thought you despised brutal regimes and were all for removing such regimes from power and liberating its people. But it would seem that for as long as there is a buck to be made human rights and brutal dictators can safely be ignored.

Why do I get this feeling of déjà vu?
    You forget one thing Aladdin:

Because of the Product Export Guarantee if the warring African nation doesnt pay for those Hawks then the British taxpayer gets to pay for it instead!

How good is that?
    It's fantastic Kermit. Nothing better for this country and the economy than the taxpayer financing weapons deals for warring nations and the good old British arms trade making a killing (no pun intended) out of it.

God bless capitalism!
    By the way back in 1997 before Labour was elected they promised in their manifesto to adopt an ethical foreign policy and stop selling arms to brutal regimes and warring nations but quickly failed to live up to that promise after they were elected.

These demonstrations against the arms fair are going to be massive with groups ranging from Buddists and Quakers to anarchists, leftists and greens taking part.
    http://www.dsei.org
    There is a good article in today's Daily Mirror about the arms fair.
    Peace campaigners reacted with anger yesterday after the Government said it had invited Syria to a British arms fair.

Despite the US calling the country a "rogue nation" and warning it has chemical weapons, Syria's representatives are free to attend the London exhibition next month.

"In six months time, we could be invading Syria. It puts profit before common sense."

Full Mirror article. http://www.dsei.org
    Africans? Let them fight , they always have and always will , and as long as it doesnt bother the rest of the world , its a good place to make some cash.
    Its not just Africa that the arms trade affects, remember Yugoslavia and Bosnia? The arms trade also contributes to the flood of asylum seekers as well by intensifying and perpetuating wars around the world.The vast majoirty of refugees are fleeing war zones. http://www.dsei.org
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Africans? Let them fight , they always have and always will , and as long as it doesnt bother the rest of the world , its a good place to make some cash.

Well the true colours of The Matadore emerge (even more clearly)!

Care to change the first word of your post to 'Middle Easterns' and tell us again?

Your idol and master the US government certainly thinks Iraq, Israel and indeed the rest of the Middle East is a good place to make cash.

Tell us again why we were right to "liberate" Iraq?
    Originally posted by Rockwell
    By the way back in 1997 before Labour was elected they promised in their manifesto to adopt an ethical foreign policy and stop selling arms to brutal regimes and warring nations but quickly failed to live up to that promise after they were elected.[/url]

But has Blair actually lived up to any of his manifesto promises?

Ill assume he didnt pledge to rape the students of this country, bomb a sovereign nation into the ground in the name of profit, shit on the hospitals or send a man to an early grave for daring to criticise him.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    But has Blair actually lived up to any of his manifesto promises?
    Yes he did allow a commons debate and vote on fox hunting. Also in most of the other things he promised even if he failed he did at least try to do something about those problems. But in the case of ethical foreign policy he has not even tried to stop arms sales to brutal regimes.
    Arms and Arms training are preaty much the UK's biggest export, do you really think Blair is going to stop that, its business.
    He would if he was a human being and had the habit of keeping promises.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Arms and Arms training are preaty much the UK's biggest export, do you really think Blair is going to stop that, its business.
    Its madness more like. The world refugee crisis for example is largely a result of arms sales to corrupt dictators and warring nations. People are always complaining about the refugee crisis but something needs to be done to get at the root of the problem banning arms sales to unstable countries would be a start.

Another example of the madness of the arms trade is that countries that are potential enemies are sold arms by British arms firms. For example before the first Gulf War Iraq was sold massive amounts of arms by Britain and other western nations. Today countries which are on the list of rogue states are still being armed by western arms companies.

A final example of the madness of this trade is the humanitarian crisis the arms trade creates. Third World countries are given aid by western countries to spend on development. Third World people suffer extreme poverty, disease and starvation because their rulers spend all or most of the aid money on arms instead of development.
    I wasnt saying its good or bad, but well cash is king as they say.
    Who cares whether 10,000 people die in Africa using guns we sold if that money goes into the NHS?

No-body will mourn their loss.
    You still haven't replied my earlier questions.

So I'm going to change one word or two words in your latest statement and see if I can get an answer now.

"Who cares whether 10,000 people die in Israel using guns/explosives we sold if that money goes into the NHS?

No-body will mourn their loss."

Presumably you would not have a problem with this either would you Mat? Should I call the Prime Minister and suggest he puts Britain's arms dealers in touch with Hamas?
    Yup , thats different , im gonna put my neck on the line and say that Israeli and Western lives are worth more than African refugees and Palestinians lives.
    Strong words, I'm sure your going to get a pasting for that.

But sadly, in terms of voter/general public impact you are totaly right.

Personaly I think what you said is horrific.
    Yup , thats different , im gonna put my neck on the line and say that Israeli and Western lives are worth more than African refugees and Palestinians lives.

Then you are a racist lowlife. No offence.

On what basis?
    News is reported in those terms though isnt it, "a massive bomb hit ... city, many locals were hit and killed but more importantly one westerner was slightly hurt"
    No their not. A life is a life whether it is an American's life, an Israeli's, a Palestinian's, an African's or an Asians they are all equal human beings.

You have the same mentality as the Nazis who slaughtered millions of Jews, Pols, Russians, Gypises and handicapped people. People still haven't learnt from the Holocaust!

The international arms trade is helping another holocaust happen in the Congo and every other war torn country across the planet.

Truly pathetic. I'm not even too sure if your worth that comment.

I won't lower myself and say what I'm thinking and what I'd wish to call you. All I'll say is pathetic views like this are the views that make this world such a desolate place to live in.

No human life is worth any more or any less than another.

This is one world, one human race and our actions effect everyone.
    By the way here is an extract from an article on Lockheed Martin the world's largest arms company:
    They still manufacture anti-personnel land mines, which they flog for as little as 2 pounds each. Across the world, landmines claim a new victim every twenty minutes, that is more than 26,000, mostly civilian, deaths and injuries each year.

Lockheed also produce the AUP-3(M) depleted uranium missiles that have been deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq. When a DU shell explodes, it sends out contaminated dust particles small enough to be inhaled - high doses kill, low levels cause cancer. Since the last Gulf War incidences of leukaemia and Hodgkins disease in Iraq have increased tenfold, as has the proportion of babies born with birth defects, that is without heads, brains, spines and limbs.