Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Newspapers do you read?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was going to do this as a poll but that would be pretty inaccurate seeing as you can only vote once and most people read more than one newspaper.

Of the national dailies, I read the Guardian and skim over the Times. I also read my mum's Daily Mail but that's more out of a morbid facination with it's ridiculous arguments (it also has a pretty easy crossword lol). During the week I also read a local newspaper that circulates N.Ireland and on Sundays I read the Sunday Times just.

Comments

• Options
    I don't usually buy a paper but if i do it is the guardian

I read the guardian on line, and scan the times and others if an interesting story comes up. I am on some topic specific emailing mailing list (such as drugs and alcohol use), use the BBC web site or radio 4

read the local paper (for a laugh - owned by the daily mail group...)

the saturday times and the observer sometimes on a sunday

this site also is useful/amazing

http://www.kidon.com/media-link/index.shtml

and I do use it a lot.
  • Options
    I hate gutter tabloids like The Sun and Mirror but I read the Daily Mail sometimes.

I also read the Independent and Telegraph.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I hate gutter tabloids like The Sun and Mirror but I read the Daily Mail sometimes.

If the Daily Mirror's such a gutter tabloid how come it's been voted Newspaper of the Year two years on the trot as well as won a clutch of awards for its journalism and photography?

I'm not going to reheat that whole argument about tabloids/broadsheets but I do wish people would not be so quick to judge newspapers they haven't read.

I read the Daily Mirror, in case it isn't totally obvious by now.
  • Options
    The guardian.

My local paper on a Friday to find out how many shootings have recently taken place. lol. No read that for club listings.

Yes, let's not start the tabloids vs. broadsheets argument again. :yeees:
  • Options
    I read the Times, the Telegraph and the Financial Times.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    If the Daily Mirror's such a gutter tabloid how come it's been voted Newspaper of the Year two years on the trot as well as won a clutch of awards for its journalism and photography?

I'm not going to reheat that whole argument about tabloids/broadsheets but I do wish people would not be so quick to judge newspapers they haven't read.

Why so irate? Who says I haven't read the Daily Mirror?

I dislike tabloids because they are low-brow and are read by low-brow people. One of the tabloids had a picture of the PM on holiday. How is that newsworthy? Just because some dopey prick/bitch gets a kick out of reading about celebrities? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:
  • Options
    I don't buy dailies that much as I commute on a bike but when I do I get the Guardian. I check others online, including the Telegraph and the S*n (the latter only to find out what kind of racist shit the Murdoch rag is stirring at the time, and to remind myself that the world is full of evil people like Richard Little***t that must be watched).

On Sundays I buy the Observer and the Times.

And obviously not a newspaper but I have a subscription to Private Eye as well.
  • Options

You do.
    Quote from Monocrat

I dislike tabloids because they are low-brow and are read by low-brow people. One of the tabloids had a picture of the PM on holiday. How is that newsworthy? Just because some dopey prick/bitch gets a kick out of reading about celebrities? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

Nice how you can just judge several million people like that. I'm not low-brow and I read the tabloids how many other millions have you got wrong there?

Ummm maybe because for the whole of the Prime Minister's holiday he was dogged by the scandal being exposed by the Hutton Inquiry and everyone was wondering how he'll react to it tomorrow. Clearly that "dopey prick/bitch" has a greater sense of what's newsworthy than you do. Perhaps if you got your smiley's eyes to focus in one place and remove the shades you'd be able to see what utter crap you talk not just in this thread but in all of them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    You do.

No I didn't. Make sustantiated claims in future......

Nice how you can just judge several million people like that. I'm not low-brow and I read the tabloids how many other millions have you got wrong there?

I can judge as I feel it's the truth. Why am I wrong in judging? People who read tabloids ARE low-brow.
    Ummm maybe because for the whole of the Prime Minister's holiday he was dogged by the scandal being exposed by the Hutton Inquiry and everyone was wondering how he'll react to it tomorrow. Clearly that "dopey prick/bitch" has a greater sense of what's newsworthy than you do. Perhaps if you got your smiley's eyes to focus in one place and remove the shades you'd be able to see what utter crap you talk not just in this thread but in all of them. [/B]

Yet showing pictures of other celebrities on holiday all the time IS newsworthy? It's not. It's simply the public's 'desire' to know about the lives of celebrities.
  • Options
    I remember when I first got into reading newspapers. It was about the time I was going for university interviews and the like.

I started off reading the Telegraph, because my mum had tokens to get about 3 months free copies of it. But I found I couldn't read past the front page. So I tried different papers, and eventually settled on the Guardian.

This was about the same time as I was starting to become politically aware. So I'm not sure which infuenced which really. But I find the Guardian very readable.

I also like the Metro :) you know the free one you get on busses and trains. That paper rocks! Especially the letters pages!!
  • Options

:lol:

Oh, I love the irony in that statement...
    People who read tabloids ARE low-brow

Says the Daily Mail reader.

There is little less "high-brow" than elitistsm.

Personally I will read any paper I can get my hands on, particularly if I don't have to pay for it. I don't care if it is tabloid, broadsheet or local.

I'm another Private Eye reader too
  • Options
    Subsription to: Private Eye, Politics Review and Yachts and Yachting.
    Dailies: Grauniad/Indie
    Weekend: Saturday: Indie
    Sunday: Observer

My god i'm a posh prick.
  • Options
    Times, Financial Times, Guardian...oh and the local paper if I'm really bored and it's lying around.

Mostly I read websites for my news, though...bbc news, and some computing "industry news" ones like silicon.com, computing.co.uk
  • Options
    I read the Daily Telegraph , it has excellent Sports and World News sections.

I also like to read Barbara Amiels editorials.

On Sundays I read the Sunday Times , which has a very good News Review section.

Occasioally I get the Daily Mail for comedy value.

Really? I thought you were more intelligent than that , if you want a leftist opinion , then read The Guardian surely?
  • Options
    My parents buy the times when they get a paper, but im now the one going out and buying the paper, so i force the guardian upon them. Im trying to get it everyday, as it is recommended i do for my politics A2. I also have a subscription to private eye, and get the Politics review through school.
    Goes off to the garage to buy the Guardian

Edited to add the only things they had left were the Mail and the Sport :yeees:
  • Options

Low Brow? Oh right so you're really Cultured?
    Maybe some people just want a quick read and don't like their life to be dominated by huge newspaper and have other things to do.
    Tabloid readers generally know that they are full of s*** celeb stories i.e., 'Posh Spice buys a hat' and untrue rumours.
    But this doesn't make all the readers stupid.
    I know that anything I read may not be true and aren't really that excited by celebrity stories, I buy the Sun, if I want other opinions on news then I will have a look round other newspapers websites i.e., The Guardian (who's 'special reports' on topics I happen to think are very good), & Reuters.

Maybe some people don't want everything to be all doom & gloom and don't want to take things too seriously every second.
  • Options

No I didn't. Make sustantiated claims in future......
    Yes you did. You're asking me to make substantiated claims?! :lol:

I can judge as I feel it's the truth. Why am I wrong in judging? People who read tabloids ARE low-brow.
    Because you are wrong. I read the tabloids and am not low-brow, as MoK said you read the Daily Mail - you may be low brow but don't pass off that judgement on the rest of us tabloid readers.

Yet showing pictures of other celebrities on holiday all the time IS newsworthy? It's not. It's simply the public's 'desire' to know about the lives of celebrities.
    Anymore than the broadsheets have celebrity columnists, interviews with celebrities, film and book reviews. Fact is Mono that all the newspapers worship at the alter of celebrity in one way or another.
  • Options
    i don't read papers anymroe due to dodgy eyesight

i get me news off teletext, tv news, radion news and sometimes the net

if i did wish to read a paper it would be on a bus and a train and i cannot stand tabloids and on buses and trains it is too difficult to manage broadsheets

so therefore, for both these reaosns, i read none
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Really? I thought you were more intelligent than that , if you want a leftist opinion , then read The Guardian surely?

I think there was a compliment in there somewhere so thanks. :) I read the Daily Mirror because it is a lot quicker for me to read - it takes me half an hour roughly to read the Mirror because I read most articles so it would probably take me two hours to read The Guardian properly. Plus I dislike the size of the broadsheet paper and I don't think it includes anymore news space than the tabloids just bigger ads. Also I dislike all the supplements and the way they have a separate newspaper for each section - it just seems so awkward. The Daily Mirror also fits my political viewpoint a lot better than The Guardian. I also enjoy the light relief of the problem pages and the horoscopes.

I'm not saying the Daily Mirror is perfect - I'd rather pay more for the newspaper and get rid of all the adverts and maybe it doesn't suit what I would like to see exactly but I have read all of the newspapers at one time or another and it is the best one for me that I have found.

Fact is why because I'm reasonably intelligent should I have to give up things I like? Everyone has some sort of "low-brow" escapism even the intelligent people - can the people on here say that they have never watched ITV for example? Or that they have never listened to anything in the charts? Or that they have never watched a "low-brow" Hollywood movie? My point is all these things are individual choices and can't be said to reflect on the individual's intelligence. The judging of people on the newspapers they read is a hang over from the days of extreme class division and Britain has moved on since them, those who want to judge me because I read a tabloid should move on too.
  • Options
    guardian and the observer
    indie online
    new statesman
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Low Brow? Oh right so you're really Cultured?
    Maybe some people just want a quick read and don't like their life to be dominated by huge newspaper and have other things to do.

I'm not 'cultured' but what's wrong in that? Nothing in my estimation.
    Tabloid readers generally know that they are full of s*** celeb stories i.e., 'Posh Spice buys a hat' and untrue rumours.
    But this doesn't make all the readers stupid.
    I know that anything I read may not be true and aren't really that excited by celebrity stories, I buy the Sun, if I want other opinions on news then I will have a look round other newspapers websites i.e., The Guardian (who's 'special reports' on topics I happen to think are very good), & Reuters.

Maybe some people don't want everything to be all doom & gloom and don't want to take things too seriously every second. [/B]

I reckon they ARe stupid. End of story. :cool:
  • Options
    I read the local papers when I'm at relatives house as my parents don't buy them often.

I will read any paper that my father rarely buys which usually consists of 'The Sun', 'The Mirror' or 'Daily Mail'. I've never read a broadsheet except when they are left on trains which is a shame because I quite like them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ilovebusted
    I will read any paper that my father rarely buys which usually consists of 'The Sun', 'The Mirror' or 'Daily Mail'. I've never read a broadsheet except when they are left on trains which is a shame because I quite like them.

Why don't you buy one for yourself then? :confused:
  • Options
    Sadly, the nearest thing I get to read daily are the free Metro and Urban papers which you get on the bus.
    My mom doesn't want a paper at home in the weekdays as it end up in chaos when nobody is ready on time, cause the paper is distracting.
    Apart from that I usually read internet newspapers. Differing from day to day. Depends on what's happened, and where.

Ooh! And even though it's not a paper but a magazine I catch up with Time and Newsweek. I really like those. Got a good blend of articles from the US and Europe, and same goes for journalists. Usually cover the stuff that interests me.
  • Options

I reckon they ARe stupid. End of story. :cool: [/B]

So everyone of the Sun/mail/mirror etc's millions of readers are stupid.

Always great to see how you back up your ridiculous statements!
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    I also like the Metro :) you know the free one you get on busses and trains. That paper rocks! Especially the letters pages!!

those letters are brill, how anyone has the time to bother to reply to the crap letters still amazes me

cant wait tube every morning from september for uni :D

odd though,feels like ur day iant made if u cant read metro in morning
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    Why don't you buy one for yourself then? :confused:

To buy a cheap paper each day, I'm looking at say 30p with which if I've saved up for 8 days I'd have enough to buy a £2.10 glossy magazines so I can keep up with all the trends and all the latest gossip. Which I cannot give up. Though I would like to have the option of both...
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    So everyone of the Sun/mail/mirror etc's millions of readers are stupid.
    []/b]

In my experience, yes. :) :cool:
  • Options
    Just because some dopey prick/bitch gets a kick out of reading about celebrities? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

I take offence at that comment.

What gives YOU the right to call me a dopey bitch ? and also the other females who read this stuff. Also calling the males dopey pricks because they read certain newspapers.

Reading a newspaper is all about choice, you CHOOSE to read what YOU like not what other people WANT you to read and you certainly dont call them a dopey bitch because they read a newspaper that you do not like for whatever reason :rolleyes: