Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smear tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, just to point out that I am asking this question for a friend, I know some people might think "yea right" but those who know me will realise that I am! lol

A friend of mine just got a letter telling her her first smear test is due. However, she has never has sex. She has never used tampons or done much exercise and she reckons her hymen will still be intact. So, can they perform a smear test?
I personally think it would be unwise to do so on someone who hasn't actually had sexual intercourse yet, and she doesn't want to go! (To be blunt, lol, she doesn't want her first penetration to be by a nurse with a spatula!).

She has now received several letters telling her she is due for one and she has also been automatically given several appointments with her nurse at her GPs surgery, all of which she has cancelled.

So, I suppose the question is.... are you supposed to have smear tests even if you have never had sex? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I'm not too sure, the nurse at the family planning clinic said thye've changed the system quite a lot recently. The best thing your friend can do, is go along to the doctors and explain things. If she doesn't want one, I'm sure they'll be happy for her to go back in a couple of years, but its good to let them know whats going on.:)
  • Options
    Angelic - that sounds like a good idea, but would you want to tell the receptionist at your GPs clinic that the specific reason you felt unconfortable having a smear test right now? I know I wouldn't.... and I am a receptionist at a GPs surgery, lol!
  • Options
    When I went to the doctors and had to have an nurse look at me she said that they dont usually use them things( I have forgotten then name :blush: ) if you are still a virgin. So if she phones the doctors and explains that she is still a virgin then they will cancel it. Or just goes and explains then.

I just asked my mum and she said that then only do them if you are sexually active and over 19. She was surprised that they have sent her a appointment through for a smear coz they only do that if you have had one before. If she phones and explains to the receptionist they should cancel her appointment. If she is not comfy with the receptionist then ask to speak to the practise nurse.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    When I went to the doctors and had to have an nurse look at me she said that they dont usually use them things( I have forgotten then name :blush: ) if you are still a virgin. So if she phones the doctors and explains that she is still a virgin then they will cancel it. Or just goes and explains then.

I just asked my mum and she said that then only do them if you are sexually active and over 19.
    Ahh, that helps! I think they should change the proceedure then, because she was and probably still is shitting herself over the whole thing!
  • Options
    you dont have to have smears until you become sexually active then you start having them from when your round about 20. :)
  • Options
    if she is still a virgin then NO!
  • Options
    EVERY girl should start having them regularly when she gets to 20.

just because you've not had sex doesn't mean you won't get cervical cancer. it reduces the risk, but it doesn't completely rule it out.

like my doctor says, it's embarrassing, it's uncomfortable, but it lasts for 30 seconds and it beats dying horribly of cervical cancer.
  • Options
    [
    i went to get a test done after getting a letter sent through from the docs. i was a virgin and when the doc asked if i was sexually active and i said no she said there was no need for the test and asked why i had come for it! maybe every doc is different!
  • Options
    Originally posted by sar's the lady
    you dont have to have smears until you become sexually active then you start having them from when your round about 20. :)

I was told that you should start having them within a year of when you become sexually active. So if you start having sex when you're 16, you should start having smear tests a year later. Otherwise they start automatically notifying you when you're 20. I'm not sure if that's just because they assume you'll have had sex by then, or whether it's because you need to have them at that age regardless of sexual experience.

Lots of conflicting information in this thread.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    I was told that you should start having them within a year of when you become sexually active. So if you start having sex when you're 16, you should start having smear tests a year later. Otherwise they start automatically notifying you when you're 20. I'm not sure if that's just because they assume you'll have had sex by then, or whether it's because you need to have them at that age regardless of sexual experience.

Lots of conflicting information in this thread.

i think thats right what you have said there. and i think they notify you at 20 because they do assume you are sexually active by then.
  • Options
    You dont need a smear test if your a virgin. Nuns dont get cervical cancer.
  • Options
    i have been told be every doctor i've been to that you need a smear test at 20 regardless of sexual activity.

and tbh i'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    You dont need a smear test if your a virgin. Nuns dont get cervical cancer.
    Not sure if this is a joke, but it still made me laugh!
  • Options
    I went to the hospital recently about a different problem after having received a letter about a smear test, at the time I was a virgin and was told by the gynocologist that you dont need one unless you have had sex.
  • Options
    wow lots of different ideas here. i have never had one, i am not 20 yet, and my doctor knows i am sexually active as i happen to be a parent! although he has never mentioned to me about having one done, so im not sure. :confused:
  • Options
    but it is better to be safe than sorry
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    but it is better to be safe than sorry
    Yeah but her hymen is probably intact and I don't know how comfortable a nurse would be with breaking it! :confused:
  • Options
    If I were her I wouldnt get it done. Ive read two different things one saying that virgins have a very low risk of cervical cancer, and another saying that virgins dont get it. Id always thought previously that you have your first smear test a year after you first start having sex.
  • Options
    There seems to me to be a heck of a lot of conflicting information out there doesn't there? I mean, doctors are telling some people not to have it done unless they are sexually active and others are saying they need it done anyway.

I found a site for lesbians (don't know how....) and smear tests. It tells them that it is better to get it done as over 75% of lesbians have had sex with a man. However, it says if they have never been penetrated they are at very low risk and could choose not to.

:eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I found a site for lesbians (don't know how....) and smear tests. It tells them that it is better to get it done as over 75% of lesbians have had sex with a man. However, it says if they have never been penetrated they are at very low risk and could choose not to.

very low risk is still a risk though, isn't it?

i mean - this is the only part of your body you can get checked out for free. me getting a brain tumour would be very low risk, but if they offered me a brain scan every 5 years just to be sure i'd jump at the chance. it's all about peace of mind.
  • Options
    BumbleBee, you're a doctor's receptionist right? Could you not ask someone at the surgery that you work in? I know that you might feel a little uncomfortable but in the long run it could save your friend a whole lot of pain and embarrassment.
  • Options
    I just think that internal examinations arent the nicest thing, and if youre in an extremely low risk category and have never been penetrated before, then it would be even more unpleasant for a virgin than it would be for someone who was sexually active.
    She has every right to say no, and not get it done, and while i would say that would be foolish in someone who was sexually active. Since shes a virgin who has never even used tampons, then there is little/no need. The choice is hers at the end of the day, not the doctors.
  • Options
    Right, time to set the record straight. The risk of contracting cervical cancer rises when a woman is sexually active because of the human papillomavirus (HPV) which is an STI. There are two types of this virus and people can carry it without knowing they have it or it can develop into genital warts. The more harmful version is the primary cause of cervical cancer.

So, while you can remain a virgin and still get cervical cancer, the risk is much smaller than if you are sexually active. If you aren't sure, talk to your GP to make sure.

I did a quick search on Google and came up with http://www.cervicalcancercampaign.org/home.htm

for those ladies concerned.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Completely forgot. I admire women for going to have a smear test. They sound damn awful and I'm just glad I'm a bloke, even though I have a prostate gland (can't wait till they start testing blokes for prostate cancer).
  • Options
    I hate the thought of it and i agree with both sides, i am a right worry and although it doesnt sound nice (i never had one) its for the best!!

Just wondering...does it hurt?
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    I hate the thought of it and i agree with both sides, i am a right worry and although it doesnt sound nice (i never had one) its for the best!!

NOPE! uncomfortable yes but hurt no!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    So when DO you start getting smear tests?

you should all be sent a letter about the time of your 20th birthday.

it's like, happy birthday, now come for a smear test.
  • Options
    i dnt mean 2 sound thick here but i take it the docs send u a letter for a smear test and u dnt hve 2 book an appointment ur self? sorry but ive always wondered ths.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    i dnt mean 2 sound thick here but i take it the docs send u a letter for a smear test and u dnt hve 2 book an appointment ur self? sorry but ive always wondered ths.

you still have to make an appointment. the letter is only advising you to make an appointment! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

no doesnt hurt at all. I always get myself worked up about them, but theyre never that bad. Just a tad undignified thats all. The last nurse let me cover myself up with a blanket, so it wasnt too bad.
  • Options
    how do u no whn 2 make an appointment lke?