Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Sex laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and me girlfriend had just done it last night. When we got talking about christmas.:confused: Her birthday is on december 30th so we got talking bout that. And she said that we will stop having sex then cos she will be 16 and ill only be 15 till march.Cos she will be breaking the law.

Obviously she was joking but it wouldnt be braking the law would it? I thought it was 18 not 16?

Comments

• Options
    isnt it already breakin the law *????* the age is 16 not 18, i know that! so even if shes 16 and your 15 its breakin the law, but i think its worse if hes 16 and shes 15-am i right or have i imagined that?

xxx
  • Options
    There isnt a legal age for boys, is there? The legal age for a girl to have sex is 16, so yeh, if she's worried about breaking the law, she's already done it...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    There isnt a legal age for boys, is there? The legal age for a girl to have sex is 16, so yeh, if she's worried about breaking the law, she's already done it...

i thought there was a legal age of consent for everyone.
  • Options
    I think she means that a 16 year old girl having sex with a 15 year old boy isn't going to get in trouble for it. It is still against the law but a girl can't really force a boy to have sex and they are in a relationship so no one would do anything.
  • Options
    in this country you have to be 16 to have any sexual contact with another person, 16 for every single person in this country.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Here's some info about the age of consent and how the law stands at the moment:
    http://www.thesite.org/info/sex/other_sex_issues/whats_within_the_law.html.

Hope it helps clear things up for you,
    CB
  • Options
    i thought the legal age for everyone was 16? :confused:
  • Options
    You have both already broken the law, 16 is for everyone.
  • Options
    its 17 in northern ireland
  • Options
    I knew i was right! Some of those laws are pathetic!
  • Options
    Re: Sex laws
    Originally posted by curiouslad
    And she said that we will stop having sex then cos she will be 16 and ill only be 15 till march.

Kids are growing up so fast these days... :p
  • Options
    Step aside, lawyer coming through...

The legal age for sexual intercourse is 16. A boy penetrating a girl under the age of 16 is comitting an offence, regardless of the boys age. It is only rape however if the girl is aged under 13; girls aged 12 and younger are deemed incapable of giving ANY consent, and therefore it is statutory rape, but girls aged 13 to 15 are deemed to be able to give consent, but not informed consent. hence the age limits.

A girl cannot be arrested for havign sex with a boy younger than 16, as the legal definition of sex is the girl being penetrated, not the act of penetration. She can, however, be arrested for indecent assault, which is a crime that can be as serious as rape in extreme cases. It is unlikely to see the girl to be charged with indecent assault with such a small age gap, but she can be in the same way a boy could be, though that is unlikely too.

As it stands, you could still be arrested for underage sex even though you are under the age of consent too. And she could be arrested for indecent assault. So dont stop cos shes 16, youve committed enough offences for it not to matter anymore:p
  • Options
    In Russia it's 14. :yuck: :yuck:
  • Options
    Originally posted by curiouslad
    I knew i was right! Some of those laws are pathetic!

Um no... you weren't right... the age of consent is 16 not 18.
  • Options
    i always thought if you're both under 16 you're breaking the law, but nothing can get done about it. but if one of you is over 16 and the other isn't, then the one that's over 16 can be prosecuted. hence when you're both 15 and one turns 16, it makes it awkward. but hey, you're both in a relationship and as long as your parents aren't gonna take the other to court, then to hell with it and enjoy yourselves....