You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The 'right' to education.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
I found the following paragraph from this - http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html - website.

No person shall be denied the right to education. In the exercise of any functions which it assumes in relation to education and to teaching, the State shall respect the right of parents to ensure such education and teaching in conformity with their own religions and philosophical convictions.


A person should have the right to SEEK education, but not have it granted to him/her. If a person has their education handed to them by the state, then it exposes the folly of state-run education.

Children are forced to adhere to a 'doctrine' imposed by the state within public education. Why is this necessary? Why can't parents be free to send their children to ANY SCHOOL THEY CHOOSE based upon their OWN values and sensibilities?

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: The 'right' to education.......
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Why can't parents be free to send their children to ANY SCHOOL THEY CHOOSE based upon their OWN values and sensibilities?

    Because its not always as easy as that. The school I initially wanted to send my Daughter to was over subscribed and there were no places available so I then had to think which school now?

    Children need to be set rules and regulations from an early age. They need to know what they are doing and when they are doing it. They need to be taught school starts at 8:55, lunch at 13:30 and hometime at 3:30, its about teaching them that rules are there for a reason and to teach them that they have to cooperate within certain boundaries.
    Its all to do with growing up and knowing that you cant just do what you want, you DO have to abide by rules.

    Surely a good thing?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    With no state education parents can be free to send their children to any school they wish that corresponds with their own views.

    If a parent wants to send their child to a faith school, so be it. If it's an established public school, then so be it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat

    If a parent wants to send their child to a faith school, so be it. If it's an established public school, then so be it.

    Even if the school is over subscribed?

    No thank you.
    I like the idea of my Daughters current teaching practice when she started this school there were only 16 children in her class, next term she will be in junior school with only 20 children in the class. So in a way it was a blessing that she got refused entry because now I have a 7 yr old Daughter who is higly intelligent and during her recent S.A.T.S got marks of above average nationwide.......would she have done as well in a class with almost double the children? I think not :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Being 'over-subscribed' does not matter. A parent would have to send a child to a school that has places.

    As for the National Curriculum, that should not exist. Schools themselves should determine what they teach, not the state.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Being 'over-subscribed' does not matter. A parent would have to send a child to a school that has places.

    As for the National Curriculum, that should not exist. Schools themselves should determine what they teach, not the state.

    Your contradicting yourself :rolleyes:

    OK so I want to send my Daughter to school A because it does not teach mathematics and and I think teaching mathematics is a load of rubbish, but school A is over subscribed.........oh dear she cant go then can she.
    So we decide school B because thats the next one on my list but they teach religion but the rest of the schooling is fantastic, but they teach religion.....nah she cant go there then can she.
    School C now thats an ok school but I insist my Daughter gets Physical Educaton but because the school decided they dont want to teach PE she cant go there.

    So all in all I think your idea is a bit silly and somehow I cant see it working.......can you and please be realistic.

    Please dont come back and saying over subscribed does not matter because let me assure you if there are 20 kids in one class and 30 in the other then obviously the children with more in the class do not get as much help and assistance as the other class.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo


    OK so I want to send my Daughter to school A because it does not teach mathematics and and I think teaching mathematics is a load of rubbish, but school A is over subscribed.........oh dear she cant go then can she.
    So we decide school B because thats the next one on my list but they teach religion but the rest of the schooling is fantastic, but they teach religion.....nah she cant go there then can she.
    School C now thats an ok school but I insist my Daughter gets Physical Educaton but because the school decided they dont want to teach PE she cant go there.

    So all in all I think your idea is a bit silly and somehow I cant see it working.......can you and please be realistic.



    Why? That's just the way it is.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Why? That's just the way it is.

    I know but it doesn't make your failure to grasp reality any less annoying. :rolleyes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Why? That's just the way it is.

    I dont have to write it all out again for you do I :rolleyes:

    For the reasons I have given you earlier must show you that it could never work.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    As for the National Curriculum, that should not exist. Schools themselves should determine what they teach, not the state.

    So a kid could be taught Nazism as a way of life in certain schools?

    If a person is not sufficiently educated in the three R's, then how will they get on with life?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    So a kid could be taught Nazism as a way of life in certain schools?

    Why not?

    If a person is not sufficiently educated in the three R's, then how will they get on with life?

    By securing a position based on their skills.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat



    By securing a position based on their skills.

    So what if the person can't read properly or isn't well socialised? It'd cause awful problems when they go out in to the real world.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Why? That's just the way it is.

    Doesn't this answer the first question you asked too?

    BTW This 'right' comes from the UN, so perhaps you should take it up with them?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Why not?
    For obvious reasons monocrat. Do you really need help understanding it? :lol:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heh , this guy needs some common sense.

    He's just arguing for the sake of it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    So what if the person can't read properly or isn't well socialised? It'd cause awful problems when they go out in to the real world.

    So? They should accept whbat life has dealt them.
    For obvious reasons monocrat. Do you really need help understanding it

    I think all political viewpoints are equally valid. I'm not brainwashed into thinking some are 'bad' or reprehensible.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you really? I seem to remember your objecting to my occasional suggestion that rich people should be deposed of their wealth and have it redistributed amongst the less fortunate amongst us.

    Surely you would not have a problem if everybody decided to send their kids to schools advocating that type of action, would you mono?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my occasional suggestion that rich people should be deposed of their wealth and have it redistributed amongst the less fortunate amongst us.

    Now that is a load of communist drivel.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To which I don't subscribe Mat. I thought that would have been obvious.

    But when mono comes with jewels such as "all taxes are theft" or "I don't see anything wrong with children being taught Nazism" I put such statements to him in the (vain) hope that he might realise his own statements are as unworkable and unrealistic (for want of better words) as this one.
Sign In or Register to comment.