Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

surgery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been told i might need surgery to find out if i have endometriosis, a few years ago a close family friend went in for routine surgery, there was a mistake made which nearly killed her.

I'm terrified about having surgery because of what happened, but my parents and boyfriend think I should go ahead because of the amount of pain im in every month with my periods.

I just don't know what to do.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think if you are unsure, then this is something you definitely need to talk over with your doctor again; voice your fears and concerns and they may be able to help.

Yes, every operation does carry a risk, but think about it in perspective - thousands of people have surgery every day, and they come out of it ok in the end. Mistakes do happen, but I can't speak for what happened to your friend because I don't know the full story.

I think you need to think about the potential risks, and the potential benefit to your life, and weigh up which will have more of an impact. Again, this is something which your GP can talk over with you. Hope you make the right decision :)
    sometimes you just have to do things for the best, without really having a choice. if you know things are going to be better after the surgery, and theres only a slight chance there would be any problems - do remember that your friend didnt die, and this is a fairly straightforward operation - do you not think youd be much better for it if you just went in and convinced yourself it was the best thing? you'll be much happier afterwards.
    I took this:

The only way to diagnose endometriosis is by a laparoscopy. This is a minor operation in which a telescope (a laprascope) is inserted into the pelvis via a small cut near the navel. This allows the surgeon to see the pelvic organs and any endometrial implants and cysts.

From this very informative website about endometriosis. Check it out, it'll answer a lot of your questions.

Hannah x