Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Views on File Sharing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I noticed almost everyone on here knows what Kazaa is.

And just about everyone with broadband seems to be using it.

Has file sharing changed your habits? Like you now buy less CD's? Do you think it should be stopped or is there another solutions?

.. Personally I don't think I'm depriving the record companies of anything cos I don't buy CD's anymore - I used when I was younger - but grew out of it and this was long before the internet took off. Also in those days I think Albums were better then today - I find most Albums have 2 or 3 good songs and the rest are all filler to bring it to around 70 minutes worth of songs.

Having said all of that I'd be quite happy to pay some kind of fixed monthly thing (like I do for ADSL) - where you could download as much music and movies (after a reasonable time has gone for them to play it at the cinema) as you wanted.

Although the only slight problem is that we get news and hype about American movies long before they ever open in the UK .. we have to wait about 2 months for the Americans to see the movie so that then can then fly over the film reels from the USA for us lot to watch (which is also why some are so scratched!!)

If movies were released at the same time in the UK and Europe as in the USA I think you'd get more people going to the Cinema to see the movies rather then downloading them off the net.

So what do you folks think?

peer2peer.gif

Comments

• Options
    If there's an artist I like (say only one song I like at the moment) I'll download other songs of theirs to see if I like them, and if I do then I'll almost always go out and buy the album anyway. I prefer to have the real CD with the real inserts cos they're prettier :)

And a lot of my downloads these days tend to be stuff I just can't buy here, like French songs.
  • Options
    Everyone blames File sharing, but its actually CD-R's fault.

No CD copiers, no problem.
  • Options
    I download a fair amount of music it has to be said, but if I particularly like a band I'd buy their album. Last week I was downloading Rob Zombie stuff and thus a couple of days ago I bought the album. The rest of the stuff I download are just random songs.

I draw the line at downloading films however. I think so much work and team effort goes into a film that they don't deserve to be ripped off. I'm probably sympathetic as I'm working towards that industry anyway but those are just my views.

However I have been downloading Clerks cartoon episodes lately, but that's just because they don't sell the DVD over here and I haven't got a debit card to buy them online.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    If there's an artist I like (say only one song I like at the moment) I'll download other songs of theirs to see if I like them, and if I do then I'll almost always go out and buy the album anyway. I prefer to have the real CD with the real inserts cos they're prettier :)

And a lot of my downloads these days tend to be stuff I just can't buy here, like French songs.

To be honest record shops are a waste of space these days - in terms of the fact you don't really need them to provide the product - you could replace an entire record shop with a machine that allows you to choose the record you want - has a stack of CD-R's and burns them for you and prints the covers!!

if they did that they'd save a lot on the rent and employees and could make CD's cheaper!!!

A CD itself I'm told costs less then 1p to manufacture.
  • Options
    I don't buy cd's anymore. Why pay all that money for an album when you can download it for free? :p And it's not like these record companies or the artists are strapped for cash like me is it? :rolleyes:

I have also downloaded loads of Friends episodes, cos again I'm not paying all that money for the videos/dvds. I also download movies if I don't get chance to see them, but I would rather see them at the cinema or on video.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    I don't buy cd's anymore. Why pay all that money for an album when you can download it for free? :p And it's not like these record companies or the artists are strapped for cash like me is it? :rolleyes:

Don't be stupid. What if everyone took that view? Or downloading from bands who make their money mostly from gigging? They're certainly not rolling in it. It would be people like you who kill the music industry completely.
  • Options
    I d/l music and I don't care.
    I'm gagging for an ipod and am busy currently attempting to justify the huge expensive. I cant, but I really want one.

I still listen to CD's, just not willing to spend £ on them unless I'm sure that I'm gonna like the majority of the songs.

I don't download films. I don't care enough to want to see them.
  • Options
    i download music,and buy cd's so im the happeh medium:)

i dont download films because a)thats cheap b)it takes too long
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    I draw the line at downloading films however. I think so much work and team effort goes into a film that they don't deserve to be ripped off. I'm probably sympathetic as I'm working towards that industry anyway but those are just my views..

I think if they released the same movies at the same time over here it would be so much better - I think if they managed to get rid of film and replace it with a totally digital system then this would be possible.

Also films are pretty expensive to watch - you kind of have to pick and choose - although EasyCinema in Milton Keynes is pretty cheap depending on when you go.

My honest opinion is that movies should come with some sought of garantee - if you think the movie you are watching in the cinema is total crap within the first 40 minutes you should be able to walk out and get a refund.

I found so called block busters like the Hulk the most boring movie I think I've ever seen!! And most American movies aren't much better.

If you go to a shop and buy jsut about any product these days and are not satisfied with it - you can get a refund. And with movies the trailors are very misleading - every single one makes the movie out to be 10 times better then it really is - or simply more marketable.

Fight Club is one movie that stick in my mind - I though Brad Pitt was the star of the movie - when I saw it - Edward Norton was the real star - but guess they figures Brad Pitt sells more tickets.
  • Options
    It would be people like you who kill the music industry completely.

Oh well :p

Maybe they should think about making cd's cheaper then. I'm not paying 14 quid for every album I want, that's stupid. And anyway, an artist makes about 40p from every cd sold, so I'm guessing their millions come from elsewhere.
  • Options
    Don't be stupid. What if everyone took that view? Or downloading from bands who make their money mostly from gigging? They're certainly not rolling in it. It would be people like you who kill the music industry completely.

Do they they still sell music on Tapes?

Last time I saw - tapes cost a lot less then CD's but in reality CD's are much cheaper to produce cos you only need one machine to produce many CD's and each one takes like a second or less to press whilst - you need zillions of tape machines and it take sa lot longer to manufacture even at high speed copying.

DVD's are the same - about £5 more then VHS tape - they say the added price is for all the at bonus crap - but I'd just rather pay 35 less for the movie and not the director's comments or behind the scene shots. In reality people buying the VHS tapes should be paying the higer price.
  • Options
    I certainly think they've got to do something about the singles market. I don't understand anybody who buys singles anymore.

DG I think your data bank idea would be great for singles. Imagine being able to go in and pick out, say, 10 singles you like at the moment and get them to put them on a CD for you. Ok, so you could just as easily download them, but still the music industry has got to do something to fight back instead of just moaning and trying to get all these file sharing devices banned. They should be looking at why people are downloading in the first place.
  • Options
    I think file-sharing is great. I've bought many albums by bands whose music i've downloaded first to see if i like them. If i download songs by a bandandi like them, i buy the album.
  • Options
    I think for movies the key selling point for the movie industry is to provide a quality picture.

Like I was really excited when Spiderman came out and didn't want to wait 2 months to see it - so downloaded it - the quality was crap.

if it had come out at the cinema - I;d have gone in and seen it - but we have Sky TV and all the entertaiment channels are talkig about the movie - so you want to see it there and then - cos in two months time when it finally makes it over here - no one is talking about it anymore - cos the programmes are American so they've moved on to the next movie.

I'd gladly pay £10 per month to the movies companies to download their high quality movies and you can empedd my name, address and credit card number for all I care into the movie to stop me sharing it!!

£10 a month is a hell of a lot more then I spend over the course of a year at the cinema!!
  • Options
    Actually I always take a great interest in director's commentries, but that's just me I guess. I understand what you mean about DVDs and how they they should be cheaper. Maybe the prices will go down once VHS has fazed out completely. There are always good sales going on anyway like Virgin's 5 for £30 or on Play.com they've got a lot of good DVDs for 5.99.

I think in a few years movies will become distributed digitally anyway, but not until the majority of people have something faster than Broadband in their houses.
  • Options
    at the end of the day - digital media needs to move away from a pay per view basis to a fixed cost - then the medium flourishes - look at the internet - anyone who has moved from the pay per minute system on dial up to fixed cost or broadband with a fixed monthly fee know's how mcuh more enjoyable it is when you no longer have to watch the clock.

Director's comments are OK but not worth paying £5 extra for compared to VHS.

I think the future will be Tv's connected to the internet and you just stream across the movie you want to watch over the internet - with compression like DivX it's entirely possible to watch movies over ADSL.

I also think Hollywood needs to stop producing such crap movies!!
    I downloaded the Hulk and fell alseep twice during the movie it was that boring!! I still haven't seen the whole movie and I'm glad I never waited for it to come out at the cinema. the trailors are nothing like the real movie - i feel sorry for people that have taken their kids to see it after all the hype.
  • Options
    is there anything you don't know? or have an opinion on? :p

i agree with these ideas. i download songs from kazaa, but i can't seem to get my CD-R cds to work in my discman. so i have to buy cds anyway.

Anyone know how i can get them to work? ooh, i'll post this in the computers bit. sorry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by eefs
    Anyone know how i can get them to work? ooh, i'll post this in the computers bit. sorry.

Have you made sure you've selected the 'close cd' option when you burn them? Otherwise they'll only play in the Cd Drive in your computer.
  • Options
    oh, ok. thanks faith. i'll check that next time. they play on stereos in the house though. just not on discmans/men...(i don't know which is right)
  • Options

i agree with these ideas. i download songs from kazaa, but i can't seem to get my CD-R cds to work in my discman. so i have to buy cds anyway.

yeah it's a curse - knowing too much and thinking too much - comes in handy though sometimes.

And if you want to get your CD's to work - try buying dark blue CD-R's these are supposed to wrk better in Disc players that weren't build for CD-R's - you get special Audio CD-R's that are usually darker then standard data ones which are more silver in colour underneath.

Personally I'd got for something like this - it's only £35 - about the same as 3 CD's

http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=50301

And you can watch movies on it too as VCD's

50301.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks DG, I'll keep an eye out for those CD-Rs. That discman thingy looks good....€51. hmmmmm. :chin:
  • Options
    Thanks DG, I'll keep an eye out for those CD-Rs. That discman thingy looks good....€51. hmmmmm. :chin:

The good thing is you can make a single CD with about 12 hours of CD quality music since it also plays MP3 formatted disc's.

if I didn't already have a miniDisc player I'd have got that myself - although I only ever listen to my MiniDisc player on the plane when I'm going on holiday!! otherwise just play music through my Pc cos the PC speakers are so nice and bassy!!
  • Options

Some of us have to think for the rest of ya :p

Diamond, you reheaally have a grudge against The Hulk don'tcha? I saw it too but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Then again when I collected comics I always thought the hulk was pants anyway.
  • Options

Well, it hurts to think too much. And why should I bother when all of ye do such a good job of it. :p
  • Options

Diamond, you reheaally have a grudge against The Hulk don'tcha? I saw it too but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Then again when I collected comics I always thought the hulk was pants anyway.

I grew up watching the TV series of the Hulk and I think anyone that grew up watching that really had a soft spot for the Hulk .. it was really sad how this gu roamed the US all on his own cos everywhere he went he broke things when he turned into the Hulk ... don't thing there's been anything like it on TV since "The Littlest Hobbo."

i've heard the Film is supposed to be true to the Original comic storyline - but as a piece of entertainment I think it sucks like an Electrolux.
  • Options
    God I loved "The littlest Hobo". I didn't even know what a hobo was at the time. That alsation could kick Lassie's ass any day of the week!

I don't think The Hulk was close to the comics, in the comics Banner ran out onto a gamma bomb test site to save a kid who wandered out there. He pushed him into a ditch but caught the blast himself. I have no idea about his father going crazy and absorbing stuff however. Anyway, I won't be buying it when it's released.

Best superhero film is still Batman Returns :yes:
  • Options

Best superhero film is still Batman Returns :yes:

I just posted someting about this on the Entertainment threads - my vote is for the SuperMan film as the best super hero movie.
    If you wanan discuss then get over to that thread.