Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Being a luddite

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Everyone is always telling me that DVDs are better, CDs give you a better quality of sound....but I don't own a CD player, I still buy Vinyl, I won't buy a DVD player.

Am I missing out on something? Isn't it all just sideways technology?

The one thing people always say about DVD is 'but you get loads of extras' - isn't this just a stupid reason for getting a DVD player? Anyway - they told us that CDs are indestructable...and thats just bollocks!!

Comments

• Options
    I've been told I'm stuck in the past because I want to buy a video player and not a DVD player to take to uni with me.

I don't own any DVDs, I have lots of videos I want to watch, and I want to be able to tape things off the telly. How would I be better off with a DVD player.

The last time I tried to watch a DVD was with my boyfriend and it took us half an hour to work out how to use the damn thing. Half way through we decided to try and find the subtitles (some of it was in German) so stopped it, but then we couldn't get it back to the same place again.

God videos are so much easier :)
  • Options
    Re: Being a luddite
    Originally posted by byny
    Anyway - they told us that CDs are indestructable...and thats just bollocks!!

heh, not so indestructable when you snap one in two eh? ;)
  • Options
    CDs just annoy me...I work in a Music library and we provide CDs for radio programmes. But...they fitted new CD players in the studios and now a lot of the CDs won't play on the new players because the equipment is so sensitive that they pick up all the 'scratches' on the old CDs...what are we supposed to do - buy new copise and trash all the old ones!
  • Options
    DVDs don't get worn down however many times you play them and don't get chewed up by the video recorder. You also can't make your own vinyl record if you want to not to mention the scratches and poorer quality sound.

Recordable DVDs are just coming onto the market so by about 2005 they'll be about as common as video players and will record TV which is the big problem with DVD at the moment. Don't forget video took time to get settled too with the Betamax/VHS wars, overheating VCRs, cost etc.
  • Options
    i guess if i'm honest i'd like a 2-in-1 DVD and video. but i can't afford one. and if i had to pick one over the other, it would be the video player :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    DVDs don't get worn down however many times you play them and don't get chewed up by the video recorder. You also can't make your own vinyl record if you want to not to mention the scratches and poorer quality sound.

Recordable DVDs are just coming onto the market so by about 2005 they'll be about as common as video players and will record TV which is the big problem with DVD at the moment. Don't forget video took time to get settled too with the Betamax/VHS wars, overheating VCRs, cost etc.

Is it not still sideways technology though?
  • Options
    Is it not still sideways technology though?
    i got rid of my vinyl and my needle ...
    i fell hook line and sinker for the bullshit about c.d's ...drive a truck over them and they'll still play!
    i recently heard an old album favourite of mine on vinyl ...captain beefhearts, 'clear spot'. got home and heard it on cd ...the vinyl had a clarity lacking on the c.d. try it and i think you'll be shocked.
  • Options
    I'm just shocked that you got rid of your vinyl!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm just shocked that you got rid of your vinyl!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    byny if you ever have the time ...a lot of it ...i can tell you about loads ...so many ...dumb ass decisions i have taken in my life! the few good ones i made along the way worked out well but ...i could write a book about bad decision making and how time and again people WILL will be this dumb!
  • Options
    I agree!